79 XS1100 Special ~ Head work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 79 XS1100 Special ~ Head work

Does anybody know if there is a 12 or 16 valve head around that I could retro to my 79 XS1100 Special?
    Thanks,
    Greg Good

Nope, but you could use a head off of an 80 or 81 that has larger valves, and use your 79 cams in that head for a little HP boost.

Tod
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Ultimate Two Valve Head

Originally posted by trbig
      Nope, but you could use a head off of an 80 or 81 that has larger valves, and use your 79 cams in that head for a little HP boost.

Tod
      Ward Performance produces the ultimate 2 valve head, a version of which is used by every Pro/Stock Susuki on the planet.This head can also be machined to fit a Kawasaki or XS Yamaha with bores larger than 74mm.This head will flow as much as most of the 4 valve stuff which is the reason it is the head of choice for 4 cylinder Japanese bikes in NHRA Pro/Stock competition.You would need a killer motor in order to utilize this much head, but the technology is out there if you really want it.

81 Black "1179" Xcessively trick Super Special. One owner (me).

Comment

Just to clarify... I was answering you by saying "Nope" that I didn't know... not that there wasn't one.

Dan... dare we ask how much one of these heads are? One of those.. "If you have to ask how much.. you can't afford it" type things?

Tod
        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
        '06 Suzuki DR650
        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
        '81 XS1100 Special
        '81 YZ250
        '80 XS850 Special
        '80 XR100
        *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

How much do they co$t - have a look here if you dare

Or, you could have a look here for a complete "top end in a box" kit!!
          Ken Talbot

Comment

Killer Head

Originally posted by trbig
            Just to clarify... I was answering you by saying "Nope" that I didn't know... not that there wasn't one.

Dan... dare we ask how much one of these heads are? One of those.. "If you have to ask how much.. you can't afford it" type things?

Tod
            The head would be a special one off deal for the XS as the standard combinations are for the drag race Susuki and Kawasaki with several combos being available. A bare machined casting is $1,974.00 and the complete ready to rock deal is $4,496.00 assembled (with titanium valves).Of course a Pro/Stock head would be more as lot's of trick porting would be involved.This head without any porting will flow 160 cfm with the standard 46mm intake and 38mm exhaust.In an XS application the valves would be smaller due to the smaller cylinder bore but the air flow would still be huge. I threw this information out just so people who are interested will know it's actually available if they really wanted it bad enough.They sell the heck out of these things but I'm unaware of any fellow XSer who has bought one.Personally,it's a might pricey for my combo.Actually,a stock XS head if ported and prepared properly will flow all the air a street driven 1200cc motor can use..........and then some.

Comment

Dream Weaver

Originally posted by Ken Talbot
              How much do they co$t - have a look here if you dare

Or, you could have a look here for a complete "top end in a box" kit!!
              Actually these parts begin life without head bolt holes and fitted cam chain cavities and can be configured for the XS application but this box ain't cheap is it.Like the old saying,speed cost money, how fast can you afford to go certainly is true here.

Comment

Working...
              X