No announcement yet.

signal triggers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great idea but one question ... If it is a super strong magnet ... why do you have to stick it on with adhesive tape?
    Rob
    KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
    1978 XS500E
    1979 XS1100F Restored
    1980 XS1100 SG
    1981 Suzuki GS1100
    1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
    1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Uh--I hate those hard questions. I suspect it may have to do with lawyers or something like that. The little rare earth guys will pinch your fingers if you aren't careful. I can't imagine one falling off, but the tape secures it against vibration that could minimize surface contact. My best guess. Last summer I had a wheel weight melt off in the heat -- in the shade! It was laying there next time I parked there. So is it the tape or the magnet that really works? Or is it global warming?
      1980 XS 11 Special: The King of Kong, 9th wonder of the world. Pacifico fairing, chopped shield, Yamaha hard bags, Diamond seat, T-Kat fork brace, XJ top end, YICS Eliminator, '80 carbs from Spyder Cycle Works, K&N Air filter, Fuse block, stainless steel valves & reg/rect from Oregon MC Parts. Raptor CCT, XJ air shocks, 850 FD, Sportster mufflers, Standard handle bar, Tusk Bar Risers, SS braided brake lines. Cat Eye speedometer. HID projector beam headlight, LED running lights.

Comment

Now do we have to merge this thread with the "Global warming" thread? Are these magnets disrupting the Earths magnetic field as we ride around? Will this cause more global warming? (it must be because it's getting hotter)
        Pat Kelly
        <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
        1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
        2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
        1999 Suburban (The Ship)
        1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
        1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

I use "rare earth" magnets when I do inspections and they are so strong that you could pitch one at a passing car and it would not bounce .. it would stick. I wounder if I pop a few of those puppies to the bottom of my frame if they would have the same effect?
          Rob

1978 XS1100E Modified
          1978 XS500E
          1979 XS1100F Restored
          1980 XS1100 SG
          1981 Suzuki GS1100
          1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Good chance. My magnet is only about 1/8" x 2" long and it works. Larger ones are obtainable that exert tremendous magnetism. I suspect two-faced tape is redundant on them.
            1980 XS 11 Special: The King of Kong, 9th wonder of the world. Pacifico fairing, chopped shield, Yamaha hard bags, Diamond seat, T-Kat fork brace, XJ top end, YICS Eliminator, '80 carbs from Spyder Cycle Works, K&N Air filter, Fuse block, stainless steel valves & reg/rect from Oregon MC Parts. Raptor CCT, XJ air shocks, 850 FD, Sportster mufflers, Standard handle bar, Tusk Bar Risers, SS braided brake lines. Cat Eye speedometer. HID projector beam headlight, LED running lights.

Comment

The ones I use are spheres of about 1/2 inch DIA
              Rob

1978 XS1100E Modified
              1978 XS500E
              1979 XS1100F Restored
              1980 XS1100 SG
              1981 Suzuki GS1100
              1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Anything with a flat side would work. I saw some that would stick you to a metal table from 6 or 8 inches if you had one in your pocket. Those guys would change a light or pick up a nail or discover oil.

Comment

Mount them out front of the front tire to pick-up nails before they cause flats. Kills 2 birds with one stone (magnet).
                  Pat Kelly
                  <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                  1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                  2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                  1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                  1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                  1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Working...
                  X