X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Member!

Hello everyone-

Sorry in advance for the long post!

I'm new to XS11's and this site. I stumbled upon it about 2 weeks ago, when I first got my bike.

It's a 78 Standard. The guy I bought it from had it all tuned for peak performance.

3 days ago I was out for my 6th or 7th ride and I wrecked it.

I was going around a corner and the front tire went out. I lost control and ended up skidding down the guardrails.

The engine guard caught the vertical part of the rails that hold them up...kicked the bike sideways and sent me for a ride...

I went flying off the bike and came down like a lawn dart on the assphalt. My head and shoulder absorbed most of it...I then proceeded to slide down the road for quite a ways.

All in all I came out only sore and bruised. The XS didn't trun out too bad either.

The handlebars ended up catching a mailbox and bending...the front forks need to be replaced as well as fender and tire.

Come to find out... I had a large staple in my front tire. I was following a truck with hay on they back and a bail fell out and broke about a half mile inftont of me. I'm guessing that's where the staple came from...not sure..

I've ordered a new front end from the triple tree down. Got the front fender to rideable condition and found some old honda bars laying around.

The crash bars bent back and cracked both side covers.

I just want to get this "tank" back together and see how she rides.

She fires right up and shifts through all gears fine.

The only thing that worries me is that there is a slight ping/tick to the motor now.

I'm hoping it's just the cam chain or valve chatter because it might be running a bit lean due to the fact that the one side of the headers had a hole and a couple decent creases that could restrict air flow.

Sorry for the long story, but that was my experience so far with the XS...other than the wreck I love the bike and cannot wait to get back on it.

PS: If anyone has any of the parts I need for sale let me know.

Thanks!
    -Dennis
    Last edited by DenzComp; 07-14-2007, 10:26 AM.

new guy

I hope this is'nt your first bike,if it is, while you are waiting for parts find something else to learn on ,an xs1100 is not a beginners bike. It will bite you.
    Fastmover
    "Just plant us in the damn garden with the stupid
    lion". SHL
    78 XS1100e

Comment

"The only thing that worries me is that there is a slight ping/tick to the motor now."

You said that both side covers got munched in the crash. Check the right side as the alternator is located on that side and the tolerences between the stationary and rotating pieces are very close. The pickup part is mounted to the right side cover and if you bent it you may be coming in contact with the rotating center.
      There are side covers to be had from members on this site so if you need them just ask around or look in the parts for sale section.

My $0.02 worth
      Ed

78/82 XS/XJ mostly made up of parts bikes
      XS1100 SG 1980 Will restore to original over time

Comment

Thanks for the advice on that side cover..I'll check it out and let you know if that was the problem.

It actually is "my 1st bike". It is my father's bike.

He mainly rides the old shovelhead, but he picked up the XS while the harley was in the shop for a few weeks.

I have all ready learned that it can bite...but I don't feel that this accident was my fault at all.

A bike only goes as fast as the rider twists the throttle right?

Now that I know how quick and easy something can go wrong I respect riding that much more.
        Last edited by DenzComp; 07-14-2007, 12:26 PM.

Comment

I know it's a lot of bike to learn on, but when rode with respect it is actually a safe bike. Great breaking system...and with it being a shaftie it decelerates quickly.

I've been told by just about everyone it is too big to learn on.

I did wreck it, but with the flat front I think what happened to me would've happend to just about anyone.

The tire went flat while in a corner. There wasn't much I could do but hold on.

Has anyone ever tried riding/steering a bicycle wihth a flat front tire?

The only bad part is that I'll probably never want to own anything smaller.

Comment

I guess I should have put some smilie faces on that message. I wasn't criticizing you, When I read "front tire went out" My thought was, low side followed by a high side into the gaurdrail, a very comon occurence with riders on a unfamiliar bike when they come too strong with a the right grip.Which means the rider becomes the bologna in a bike/gaurdrail sandwich. No hard feelings ok.
            Fastmover
            lion". SHL
            78 XS1100e

Comment

No hard feelings at all.

It was more directed at all the people who told me it was too big of a bike and then gave me the "told ya so" look when they heard what had happened.

Just letting off a little steam I suppose.

Comment

rider respect

Age doesn't always tell the story. My two sons started in the dirt when they were 7&9 then moved to the street at 16, one on a xs650 the other on a cb750 you could hear the insurence company rep. scream from the head office. My agent stuck up for them and they got their insurence . One wrecked the first day the other lasted about a month, both no harm done ,to bikes or riders. So don't sweat the other guy, if he hasn't gone down yet it doesn't mean hes good it just means he hasn't had his turn and we all get our turn,right guys! gttstpi !
                Fastmover
                lion". SHL
                78 XS1100e

Comment

Dennis accidents happen to everyone eventually
                  I had one a few years ago with my son on the back with me, we were both ok.
                  The size of the bike doesn't matter as much as how you drive it.
                  These bikes though old will match or beat the power of most bikes on the road today.
                  My son that was on the bike with me a few years ago went on last year at age 16 to get his learners on the 1100 and has been riding it for two summers now.
                  Ride safe, and as I tell my son, ride like everyone on the road is trying to run you over and you'll be ok.
                  Ed

78/82 XS/XJ mostly made up of parts bikes
                  XS1100 SG 1980 Will restore to original over time

Comment

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

EZ...what you said "ride like everyone on the road is trying to run you over and you'll be ok." is WORD for WORD what my father told me.

Great minds think alike...

Comment

Yes, everyone gets there turn. Just had mine. Hit a deer at 65 mph the came out of the ditch after I exited a curve. A week later, my buddy gave me a guardian angel bell to put on my bike! ALITTLE LATE! Anyway, glad to hear you are ok. Learn from it and wear that helmut. It saved me.
                      '79 SF Special (deer hunter special)
                      '79 SF Special Full Dress (restoring)
                      '80 SG Standard

Comment

I had a helmet on and jacket.

Just got the jacket brand new that morning...happy it saved my skin..sucks it happened to a new jacket....at least I have something to show now.

My dad told me to wear it proud.

It's all scuffed to hell due to sliding down the road.

Comment

Good luck fixing it up.

glad to hear your ok.
                          79 XS1100F "JINGUS"
                          07 V-star 1100
                          Do you want it done right or do you want me to do it?

Comment

If anyone happens to have headers that'll fit the 78 let me know.

I'm going to need them for sure.

Comment

Working...
                            X