My 1979 XS1100 Special

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 1979 XS1100 Special

Hey Ya'll!! I'm a new guy on the block! I have a couple of questions for ya! My '79 XS1100 has 7000 miles, is in really good shape, but has not been running for 15 years, and does need some minor work. How much do you think my bike is worth? I have to make a decision of whether I sell it or fix it up! (My bike has always been garaged, too.) SSEEYAHHH SCOTT

Scott:

Almost impossible to tell what the bike is worth. Sorry to contradict you, but it can't be 'in really good shape' if it hasn't been run for 15 years. At a minimum, it would take $500.00 - $700.00 and many hours of labor to get it ready and reliable for the road. Consider:

Tires and rubber components age and ned to be replaced. Carbs gum up. Gas tanks develope rust inside. At least one, probably 2 cylinders have had a valve partialy open, and there is probably some rust in there. Exhaust systems rust out from the inside. Brake lines age and go bad with age. Very common for brake cylinders to crud up, requiring cleaning or rebuilding. Same with brake calipers.

A problem with all older Japanese bikes is corrosion in the electrical system. Real common failure is the fuse block; the 'fingers' that hold the fuses rust, loose tension, and will break off in your fingers if squeezed together. Several ways to repair or replace the fuse block, but all take some time and money. It is quite likely other connections are corroded as well.

So whats it worth? Only a close inspection could really tell, but the figure would be quite low due to the unknowns. You might look at the tech tips section, where there are a few articles dealing with what could be wrong with an old XS.

I don't mean this to be overly harsh, but you have to be realistic on the condition of the bike, market conditions in your area, and the cost of repairs. While very clean XS11s can go for $1,500 - $2,500, $300 - $500 is a lot more common for a bike that has been sitting for a while.
    Jerry Fields
    '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
    '06 Concours
    My Galleries Page.
    My Blog Page.
    "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Jerry, you are suppose to send them to my thread on neglected XS's, click here. Other than that Jerry is 100% correct, your bike will need $500-$1000 to get it running well and safe. With out pictures, etc. I would agree that the bike is worth something less than $500, I have paid $500 for good running bikes. But if the body parts are mint then you will get more by parting it out. If it is in mint shape than I would try to fix it up but plan on spending at least $500 and and two or three weeks of time. Minimum will be tires, battery, carbs and fuel system, and brakes. Check out my tip for more info.
      Gary Granger
      Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
      2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

Thanks Jerry-for replying to my thread! I am hoping I'll be able to get my bike out this spring. Thanks for telling me about the fuse problem, too! SCOTT

Comment

I figure people ASK around $1500, probably get more like $1200 for "average, running" XS's. Then subtract the money you will put into it plus some for your labor and the dern things have to be about free to make them pay.
          I paid $200 for my project bike, and was lucky because it was stored right- it was stored in a garage and I didnt' have any electrical, exhaust or fuel problems. Replacing some crash parts, adding quality tires, complete brake hydraulic rebuild, pads, shocks etc have my investment up to about $1000, not including my personal time, which is worth something, so I figger I am about even, but I'm lucky.
          My thing, is I love wrenching MORE than I love riding. The challenge of troubleshooting and repairing as cheaply as I can is an obsession. It all boils down to how much you like wrenchin. If you don't, there are probably many willing buyers surfing this site daily that can take your 'trouble' off your hands.
          So what have you been doing with this bike for 15 years?
          Rocky
          00 Cagiva Gran Canyon
          80 XS11 Special -sold
          77 HD Sportster
          75 Norton Commando

Comment

Bike Value

I suppose you've also got to ask, what is the bike worth to me.

I only start to really get bothered about financial worth if it's about to be sold.

My XS cost me 1300 UK pounds way back when it was about 10 years old. I've spent a fair bit more on it due to some problems I've had, but haven't thought that it wasn't worth it.

If you are trying to work out how much money to spend before you've paid more for a cheap fixer-up and the costs of parts against the cost of a tidy runner then the tidy runner often is the cheap option as you are lucky to break even on repairing an old Jap ...although I'm sure there are some great success stories out there that buck the rule.

I'm from the same school as rockyr74 - in that if you don't mind doing your own work then an old XS11 is worth the time and is a good project to work on. Once it's running right you'll see what I mean
            XS1.1 sport - Sold June 2005 :-(
            Guzzi 850
            Z1000

Comment

Thanks guys for writing me back regarding my bike! As for why I havn't rode my bike for 15 years-I have a 1987 Mustang GT convertible, so the bike kind of got put on the back burner! I bought the bike from my Dad 6 years ago, after he got a divorce. I miss riding a motor cycle, and this XS1100 was a screamin' monster when my Dad owned it! He had a 327 side exhaust 1964 Corvette convertible when he bought the bike, and sold the Vette within a year of 6 months of riding the XS1100! He had said " after I bought my bike, I didn't need a sports car anymore." I will never forget the ride he gave me on this bike-he scared the daylights out of me! Of all the musclecars I had owned or ridden in, nothing has been able to compare to the agility of a quick bike! It would really be nice to get the bike on the road again! SCOTT

Comment

Well, here is the bottom line IMHO.
                A new or even slightly used bike costs between $9K and $16k depending on your riding style.
                Your XS may cost you between $500 and $1000 ($1000 should bring you real close to "like new") to fix up with a bit of time invested. So you have saved $8k to $15k and have a bike that can rival any on the road today in drivability and performance. You don't have all the bells and whistles of a 21st century moto but it is still a great bike.
                Besides $1000 is just barely a monthly payment on a new Goldwing or Hardley!!!

Ride safe.
                [b][size=4][font=times][color=#BD0062]Wayne[/color][/font][/size][/b]
                [b][size=4][font=times][color=#095de5]TeXSive forever[/color][/font][/size][/b]
                The best alarm clock is sunshine on chrome.

Comment

Bottom line IMHO!

We love our toys and don't really count the cost. Cause there is always something we need to do to tweek. So just plan on having fun, get to know some cool folks, and remember the difference between men and boys. (the price of their toys)

sorry about that last line it was just too tempting not to use it.

deo
                  82 XJ1100 "Resurrected"
                  Riding with the Son

Comment

Working...
                  X