Winter Riding.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter Riding.

I still haven't got the bike put away yet this year, with these just under freezing, and no wind days, it's still not too bad out there.

My question is to anyone in a snow belt area, when we get snow it stays for a while, how often should I ride / run the bike if I don't winterize it this year? It lives in an attached garage, and I will keep removing the battery in between rides.

Tips?
    1979 XS1100 - "Blue Belle"

I would think if you're going to ride it every week or 2, you shouldn't have to do anything to it. Maybe charge the battery for an hour or so each week, shouldn't even have to bother taking it out.
    Brian
    1978E Midlife Crisis - A work in progress
    1984 Kawasaki 550 Ltd - Gone, but not forgotten

A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people
    remembering the same thing!

Comment

I not a big fan of 'winterizing'. Gas goes bad after lots of months -it does loose some zip after a full full winter, but is far from turning to varnish. Sta-bil helps.

You are taking care of the battery, which is most likely the greatest cold weather problem. I too think a battery tender or periodic trickle charge would do as well.

I think condensation is a worry. I've heard that the WORSE thing one can do is 'fire up to circulate oil' and shut down. Everything gets warm, condensation doesn't boil out and all that warm moisture laden air remains in your motor and your pipes. If you go for any length of a ride, you shouldn't have to worry about this. I also keep my gas tank full so as to minimize the room for in the tank condensation.

A big problem with winter riding is that damn salt. They pile it on so thick here tha t it is every bit as bad as sand or loose gravel, then when you get home, it is all over you and the bike. If they use salt, a hose down upon returning home is in order.
      Rocky
      00 Cagiva Gran Canyon
      80 XS11 Special -sold
      77 HD Sportster
      75 Norton Commando

Comment

I forgot about the salt! Went for a ride yesterday afternoon to visit a friend about an hour from here, when I left her house at 2 this morning I noticed it had been snowing none stop, that was /NOT/ a fun ride home, I was warm in my snowmobile suit, and in teh deep snow there was plenty of traction, but once I hit the plowed highway things got fun.

I've decided I'm a wimp and I'm going to put her away for the winter.

Thanks for the tips anyway guys!
        1979 XS1100 - "Blue Belle"

Comment

Still riding here in central Arizona. Went for a 200 mile run on Sunday. Base loop about 145 miles, but a few detours added extra miles.

Actually a good time to ride here. Daytime temps in the 50s, nights have been in the 20s. (All temps in degrees F.) Recent rains have left the countryside a bit greener than usual.

Basic 145 mile loop: South from Prescott on Hwy 89 for 12 miles of twisties, then rolling terrain through a couple small towns until you get to Congress. Stop for fuel. Catch Hwy 71 west out of Congress to Hwy 93. Go north on 93. Signs will be pointing you toward Kingman. You will be traveling the Joshua Tree Parkway, and shortly you sill begin to see the Joshua Trees on both sides of the road. Road is a mix of 4-lane and 2 lane stretches with occasional passing lanes. At the intersection of Hwy 97, turn east toward Bagdad. (No, I am not kidding.) This rolling stretch of road will test your suspension. Some twisties and not very flat. At the junction of Hwy 96, turn left toward Bagdad to get fuel if you are on a Special. A few miles will bring you to a gas station. Bagdad is a copper mining town, with a huge open pit mine nearby. Not much to recommend it, but a few small, neat houses line the streets. Head back south on 96 toward Kirkland Junction. Here the road meets up with Hwy 89, turn left on 89 and head back to Prescott. Fortunately, this is the stretch with the most twisties, so you get to run it both ways on this loop.

Quite a mix of scenery, from Ponderosa Pine forests near Prescott to Joshua Trees, to high desert. Lots of cacti. Some twisties, some flat roads, up and down a few ridges and across some vally floors. Very hot and dry during the summer, but a nice ride in spring and fall. many of the cottonwood trees that line the small creek bottoms still have some golden leaves on them.

Last year we had snow before Christmas, so the riding season will probably end in the next few weeks. Until then, its off I go.....
          Jerry Fields
          '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
          '06 Concours
          My Galleries Page.
          My Blog Page.
          "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Working...
          X