No announcement yet.

high speed tank slappin wobbles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Until I get new rear rubber I will just not pass anyone at that particular stretc

Originally posted by trbig
    Until I get new rear rubber I will just not pass anyone at that particular stretch.

Mark Mark Mark.... the comments I wanna make on this one... lol. I'll be good... for now!

I shoulda known.........

where was Prom or Kat on this one???
    Mark A. Guthrie TSgt USAF (ret)
    S&M Comp. Serv. Inc. V.P.
    1981 XS11SH XCaliber

Comment

May be an inherent problem of the forks....?

I've had a few experiences with front end wobble on my 80G.
      All had been at 70/80+ mph and where induced when running over a "bad" piece of pavement. On a smooth road have never had a problem, even at 100+.

Hot rod XS having beefier suspension front and back and dual fork braces has not experienced the wobble yet.

mro

Comment

Hi Guys,

The road-race crash linked to earlier was caused by a rear wheel collapsing; Circuit weight parts on a public-roads circuit (Isle of Man TT race!)

AlanB
        If it ain't broke, modify it!

Comment

Another tank slapping video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YD6jruSIELA
          1981 XS1100SH

Comment

Kawasaki had a lot of lawsuits on thier police bikes, a couple decades ago, for the high speed wobble issue.

A true high-speed wobble, however, isn't caused by road irregularities, or worn tires, and the best way out of a true high-speed wobble, strangely enough is to accelerate!

Don't worry, it takes nerves of steel to accelerate more, when your bike is dancing in the lane!

I've had nearly every bike I've ever owned to redline (and beyond) in high gear on more than one occassion and (knock on wood) have yet to run into this phenomenon.
            Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
            '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Have been fortunate to have never experienced this. But a question, does anyone think that a steering damper might help or stop the situation?
              Mike Giroir
              79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

Originally posted by TADracer
                Have been fortunate to have never experienced this. But a question, does anyone think that a steering damper might help or stop the situation?
                It would mask the situation. Whatever is causing the wobbles is still there.
                Pat Kelly
                <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

with a flat

Had one with a flat. Front tire went real fast (tube neck let go) at the time was going down a long sweeping turn ....doin about 65 mph thought I was a goner!
                  Bruce
                  Bruce Doucette
                  Phone #1 902 827 3217

Comment

Working...
                  X