Dedicated to the ride

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dedicated to the ride

I came across this and thought it was really amazing.

Apparently this woman has been on a nonstop motorcycle trip around the world for the last 5 years straight. Over 250,000 miles (and 2 motorcycles) so far. She's using a Yamaha 250.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228592

That's one serious Iron Butt!!!
    80 XS1100SG
    81 XS400SH

Some men miss opportunity because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

A Few Animations I've Made

Puts those Long Way Round guys to shame. Wassther names again?
    1981 XS1100SH

Comment

Ewan McGregor & Charley Boorman

Wow, that is an inspiring story!
      1984 XJ1100 - 79 cams, XS850 FD, XS triple tree/euro cafe bars, hydraulic clutch, bar end mirrors, yamaha R1 rear mono-shock
      1972 CL350 - clubmans, Mike's XS coils/condenser, '98 Yamaha R1 rearsets (If I can find some at a decent price)

Comment

JWSanders,

You made me waste an hour looking at pictures! Gorgeous stuff How much you think it would cost to ship an XS to Europe? Tooooo much Day dream on I guess. Thanks for the web site JW. Beautiful pictures!!!!
        Nubee

Comment

Yeah, I went through the whole thread too. Very interesting read.

How freakin cool would it be to be able to just say f-it and go on a trip lasting 5 years. My jealousy is barely containable.

All the stuff you'd see....people you'd meet. Has to be a life changing experience, for sure.

I thought it was pretty funny when someone asker her about what tires she used and said it's been Kenda as often as possible.

"The good ones just don't last"
          80 XS1100SG
          81 XS400SH

Some men miss opportunity because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

A Few Animations I've Made

Comment

Between food and gas... let alone shipping the bike to different continents.. I couldn't make 33,000 dollars last ONE year!
            Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
            '06 Suzuki DR650
            *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
            '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
            '81 XS1100 Special
            '81 YZ250
            '80 XS850 Special
            '80 XR100
            *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Wow! Yea, I've thought of that. Take off around the world on a bike . Almost did it when I was 20. Got stuck in Eugene Oregon for 20 years. That was in 1966. Don't remember much about it, but my friends tell me I seemed to be having a good time!
              Ben thinking about moving from Santa Cruz CA, where I've been living for the last 20 years, and I think: "if I move, and I were to croak tomorrow, who would come to my memorial?" Morbid? Maybe so, but when one gets along in years I guess these issues arise. But may God bless the intrepid traveler!
              E.Liberty
              Old bikers never die, they're just out of sight!

My recently re-built, hopped up '79 Special caught fire and burned everything from the top of the engine up: gas tank, wiring, seat, & melted my windshield all over the front of the bike. Just bought a 1980 Special that has been non oped for 9 years. My Skoot will rise from the ashes and be re named "The Phoenix!"
              I've been riding since 1959.

Comment

The folks at Horizons Unlimited are all about big expeditions. At one of their travellers meetings here a couple of years ago, I led a small group on a local day ride. Peter and Carol from the article are friends, and they are just now packing up to leave for a year-long trip to the tip of South America and back. A while back, they took a couple of years to go around the world.
                Ken Talbot

Comment

Great story. I'll have to look into that thread from time to time to keep tabs on her.

No one mentioned the brand of the bike, but there is a tuning fork logo on one of the more recent photos....
                  Jerry Fields
                  '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                  '06 Concours
                  My Galleries Page.
                  My Blog Page.
                  "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

How inspiring!

I keep going back to check on her progress... and everytime I read about her, I keep finding myself thinking MAN! I want to do that too!
                    Shoot... I'd like to be able to just hit North America and check out all of its wonders...

What an incredible person she must be!
                    81 SH Something Special
                    81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
                    81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
                    80 LG Black Magic
                    78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
                    For those on FB

Comment

Working...
                    X