Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint Codes for 81 Black-Blue ?

Hi,

I just took my 1981 XS 1100 Special out of storage this last week . I tucked it in for the winter 21 years ago and then life took over and there it stayed. On occaasion I could be found in the garage sitting on it and making putt-putt noises. ( hm how many beers? ) Anyway now is the time for this bike to get back on the street. I have gone through all the carbs, brakes , cylinders and such everything needed a good cleaning but all in all its in pretty nice shape.
    EXCEPT, for the paint on the tank, from the hot and cold over the years it has started to crack and actually come off. The color is the 1981 Black-Blue I intend to have the same color put back on so does anyone know the paint code for this color and year or where I might be able to look. My paint guy says he can match it up but it would be even easier with the right numbers.

Thanks for any help.

also I wanted to put a picture of my special in here so how can I do that too?

blkryno ( dont fall down )

NEW BOOTS!

Hi blkryno,
    of all the things you did to resurrect your bike, the one thing you didn't mention was fitting new tires. Be they never so pretty, the rubber in the old ones will have leached out all it's plasticisers and be as hard as wood. Fit new tires. Would you trust a 21 year old condom?
    Fred Hill, S'toon
    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

The easiest way to do a match is use the fish-eye chart at the automotive paint store. I did that for the sidecovers(same color-year as yours). I had it mixed in a can.........only problem with that is there is no catylist in the paint, but for the side-covers was fine. You can have the paint store scan the color, and it will come up a two-stage(base-coat, Clear-coat), which would be the best option if you are using a paint gun, especially on the tank with accidental fuel spillage. Having it done in a aresol can for my side-covers was a perfect match using the fish-eye chart out in the sun, and choosing a place where there was the least likely fading from years of seeing the sun. For what your painting, 2-stage is the best option, even though it is kinda of a pain as you have to wet-sand clear coat with water running on it, then buff out. A perfect color match is not a problem though.
      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

oh yea tires

Hey fredintune your right about the tires they are pretty scary and the back one stopped holding air years ago I forgot to say theres a new set sitting right next to the bench in the garage
        when I'm sure the motors right they are going on.

motoman thanks for the paint help. I've waited this long to get her out that I don't mind going slow and sure taking my time and getting it right whether its sanding, tires or turning a wrench 21 yrs makes for alot of things to check over. When I bought this bike in 81 it was big enough and quick enough that I figured I was going to keep it for yrs I think it would be a kick to be 75 and scooting around on my 50 yr old one owner bike.

blkryno ( dont fall down )

Comment

www.colorrite.com

http://www.colorrite.com/product_inf...roducts_id=591
          2 - 80 LGs bought one new
          81 LH
          02 FXSTB Nighttrain
          22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
          Jim

Comment

What about 1980 diamond silver?
            United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
            If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
            "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
            "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
            Acta Non Verba

Comment

cajun31

thanks for the color rite web site thats the most available paint I've seen so far.

HobbyMan

aint nothing wrong with silver I've had that color in one variation or another on three different cars over the yrs. but I want my blue-black back. Hmm say that three time real fast.

( dont fall down )

Comment

Ive just been tryin to find that code for a while
                United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
                If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
                "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
                "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
                Acta Non Verba

Comment

Working...
                X