electric grip warmers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• electric grip warmers

Every once in a while during the cold months up here in the frozen north, we'll get a nice sunny day that wakes up the motorcyclist in me and I have to go for a ride. I can dress for the cold (snowmobile suit), but my poor little fingers get cold --even with a nice set of cold weather motorcycle gloves.

SO, I was wondering if anyone has any experience with electric grips. A friend that used to ride had some that were integral to the grips that he really liked, but for $80, its a little rich for my blood. Aerostich.com has two other types for sale--one that sticks under your grips, and one that velcros over the top. Each are about $35.

thanks in advance
    79ish suzuki rm250
    82 honda cb450sc
    78 honda cx500
    72 honda cb175
    78 yamaha xs11e

Alternatively

Not any experience with the electric grips - but have ridden many winter miles with handlebar mits.

These are covers (nylon bags) which strap onto the handlebars covering your hands. They take a little getting used to - as you can't see the controls, but on a long ride they are perfect. Just keeping the wind from your gloves works wonders.

Have a look here:

www.mandp.co.uk under (Bars and rests / Winter accessories)

I used to do a bike rally here in the UK on the first weekend after New Year, called The Brass Monkey. Had to ride 200-300 miles on the weekend with no problems after fitting these. The iced over country lanes (and motorway one year) were amusing on the XS - but the stong winter beer at the pub where it was held made it worth while. Camping was a little tough - although quite warm if the snow collected on your tent overnight - so you can imagine the size of the sleeping bag I took!

Have softened up over the years - and just seem too busy to do that rally anymore
    XS1.1 sport - Sold June 2005 :-(
    Guzzi 850
    Z1000

Comment

Have not used them on bikes, but have installed grip heaters in older snowmobiles.

I use the cartridge type that mounts inside the handlebar rather than the under-grip or wrap over. Inside style sems to have better reliability, as wires are inside the bars and don't move with the throttle grip. Two heating position, high/low. Drawback is that they have to heat the bar as well as your hand, take more wattage and don't heat up as fast. Once warm, though, they are quite nice. You wil find grip heaters in most of the snowmobile catalogs, including Dennis Kirk and Shadetree.

Depending on how much you ride, you might want to consider the style that replaces the stock grip with a heated grip. Goes under the trade name of Polly Heater. Put on the heated ones in the fall, swithc back to the regular grips for other seasons.

Couple quick points.....

Lined leather gloves, or leather gloves with a removeable fabric liner, cut the wind and are essential to cold weather riding. Use the 'mitt' type (aka choppers), the ones without individual fingers. I have a pair that has an extended and lined cuff, keeps the wrists warm as well as fingers. Keep your thumb over the top of the grip instead of underneath or around the grip.

Have not tried the handlebar mitts, but Veter used to make them under the name Hippo Hands. They have been around for many years. You will find handlebar mitts in snowmobile catalogs. Mitts are available in different colors and styles.
      Jerry Fields
      '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
      '06 Concours
      My Galleries Page.
      My Blog Page.
      "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

heated grips

Oxford Products do a kit which replaces the grips on your bike with some factory wired. These sound a bit different to the alternatives your original post mentions.

Recently seen the velcro fastening option too, but didn't see how they get around slipping on the throttle.

As Jerry says - the technology must come from snowmobiles originally as who'd want to ride their bike when it's cold
        XS1.1 sport - Sold June 2005 :-(
        Guzzi 850
        Z1000

Comment

Re: electric grip warmers

[QUOTE]Originally posted by procamper
          [B]Every once in a while during the cold months up here in the frozen north, we'll get a nice sunny day that wakes up the motorcyclist in me and I have to go for a ride. I can dress for the cold (snowmobile suit), but my poor little fingers get cold --even with a nice set of cold weather motorcycle gloves.

SO, I was wondering if anyone has any experience with electric grips. A friend that used to ride had some that were integral to the grips that he really liked, but for $80, its a little rich for my blood. Aerostich.com has two other types for sale--one that sticks under your grips, and one that velcros over the top. Each are about $35.

Can't say as we have met before Procamper, but G'day from down under,

Ahhhhhhh the electric heated grips,.."gargllllleeeeee"
          Beryl Beemer has them fitted as standard equipment, along with the heated seats and back rest, (of course).

You may think that these items would not be needed at all in the great southern land, but we do get some 0 degree C days here around Sydney.

The heated grips, some think are a bit of a "soft touch", (doh!!) as did I, but they are almost worth their weight in rubber when needed.

10 degree C days are the "hey you are going to need your gloves soon" reminder, Getting down to 5-6 deg C sometimes I flip on the grips on low. They take a little time to warm up, but sure make the wooly lined gloves feel soooooo much better. The high setting seems too hot, almost burnt my hand touching a mates K1200LT that had had them on for a while.....could be used as an anti theft deterrant I spose???

Cost?? the grips were about $34,000 Oz,....somewhat pricey, but the dealer also threw in the bike for free...hehhehehe

Luxury is what some of us need,...nah,.. deserve.

cheers
          Phill

Comment

Warm Hands

Hey all,

Maybe I'm off base here, but with the already anemic charging system on the XS, why hard wire something in that you can bring along?
            I use heated gloves that I bought at a local outdoor supplier. Gets pretty cold sitting in a deer blind all morning:-) Bought a non-camoflaged pair to wear on the bikes. Look at www.weatheraffects.com/6301.htm for an enexpensive pair- About $40.00. They run off a D Cell battery located in the cuff.
            I really like them; rheostatic pots to set the temps, can take inside with you when off the bike, not taxing the XS electrics, and most importantly, I can use them on any of my bikes.
            FWIW
            Steve M
            Gypsy MC
            '81 XS11 LH-PITA

Comment

Working...
            X