Colorado vacation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colorado vacation

Gonna haul the XJ (other toys to bring too) and wifey out and make a trip from Gunnison to the Sand Dunes and over to Durango and back up to Motrose and Gunnison. Anything not on the map I need to check out along the way? You know....besides the stuff everyone knows about. Any personal favorites? I'd appreciate any and all commentary.
    Randy

"I didn't break it! IT FAILED!"

'82 XJ1100 "yamama"
    '09 Buell Ulysses
    '01 HD softail std - crunched

Most everyone knows about the Durango to Silverton route, which then ends up going north into Ridgeway and Montrose. Nice ride, always. However, another nice ride, less traffic, easier grades, also along a river much of the way and has some history, is to go west of Durango up to Dolores, then north on 145. This is along the Dolores River. Travels past Lizard Head Pass and Old Ophir, ends up just north of Telluride, which is worth a side trip in itself. From there take Hwy 62 over the Dallas Divide and you end up at Ridgeway, where you re-join Hwy 550 out of Silveton and Durango. Good road all the way. Dallas Divide has been photographed uncounted times; there is a wood zig-zag fence here that you will recognize from calendar and postcard photos.

Go south into and through Telluride to the end of the box canyon and make a stop at Bridal Veil Falls. I have a fondness for waterfalls, and this one is spectacular. Better if you can get there in the morning or early afternoon when the falls gets more direct sunlight, by afternoon and evening it is pretty much in the shade, but worth the effort at any time of day.

The Dolores Canyon route is slower than the Silverton route as you have to go further west before you head north, adding some miles. If you have the time, base in Durango and make this a loop: Up through Dolores and back through Silverton. This is not just some of the best riding in Colorado; this is the best riding in Colorado.

If you can hit it when the Aspen are changing colors in the fall (try 2nd to 3rd week of September, generally speaking. Peak color days vary a bit by year) the ride is even more spectacular.

When in Durango I stay at the American(?) campground. They are bike friendly and the place is decent. I consider it a plus that the tracks of the Durango & Silverton run through the campground; some of the best close-up working views of the train can be had by walking over to the tracks when the morning and evening trains come by.

Anyway, if you have the time and have previously done the Durango - Silveton route, the Dolores Canyon alternate may be a good way to head back north to Montrose.
    Jerry Fields
    '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
    '06 Concours
    My Galleries Page.
    My Blog Page.
    "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

That be the KOA Jerry...............and owned by my best friend and his wife, Tim and Sheri Holt.
      Last edited by motoman; 06-26-2007, 07:49 PM.
      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Thanks Jerry! I haven't done any motorbiking out there yet so I am really looking forward to it. We are actually going to be out over the week of the 4th (leaving this Friday and just had the idea to throw it out here and see what advice I got), so traffic will be an issue I'm sure. No biggie though, we're on vacation so we'll just go with the flow. I was going to make a 2-3 day ride out of it, depending on how the wifey holds up. I've been dragging her around, getting her some seat time in lately. Perhaps we'll spend a day making the loop you suggest from Durango. Or maybe we'll make two trips that way on the same vacation, either way it sounds great.

I'd love to camp, but I'm not quite set up for that yet. I have a weird sense of adventure in trying to find the most interesting local yocal hotel around. Makes for interesting stories sometimes. Three colors of carpet, bunk beds, pink fuzzy reception on TV, showers for midgets, etc.

Thanks again!
        Randy

'82 XJ1100 "yamama"
        '09 Buell Ulysses

Comment

Have also done the hotel bit in Durango. Try the north end of town, several older places there, very clean though. Some with pools and other amenities, some just a room and bed, which is what I look for. Have not lodged there, either camping or hotel, for a few years since I moved back to Colorado and a visit is now a day trip, but prices were generally less than you might expect in a tourist town. South end of town is where all the growth has been, newer hotels and chain outfits like Holiday Inn and such, so there is a wide range of lodging to choose from.

There is also a Yamaha dealer in town if you get stuck for parts. Does not stock a lot for older bikes and not a large operation, but is right off the main road (Hwy 550) if you need help. They got quite a kick of of my XJ and trailer combination last time I stopped in.

A short loop out of Durango is to go over to the Vallecito Resevoir. Loop is a paved 2-lane in good condition, takes you through some timbered areas and open meadows, very nice ride. You can also drive across the resevoir dam and along the lake, is nice. Come out at Bayfield east of Durango, then back into town on Hwy 160. We are taling about 30 - 40 miles, couple hours at most including photo stops. Is a good filler ride if you want to kill some time or just want to get back into pine forests.

Bayfield is an older town with some Victorian houses, worth a ride-through if you have the time, but you won't miss a lot if you don't.

Hope you have a good trip! Would offer to meet you in Durango, but next week is scheduled for ovetime, migrating 3 servers to new hardware and adding a 2tb storage area network to the system, so it is going to be a busy couple of weeks. Would rather be in Durango....
          Jerry Fields
          '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
          '06 Concours
          My Galleries Page.
          My Blog Page.

Comment

Thanks for the info on the hotels and side trips. I really don't even know what our schedule will be so trying to meet up with anyone could be a little difficult. I just plan on riding down the road when we feel like it and stopping to see whatever we want for two or three days. We'll definitely keep your advice in mind.
            Randy

'82 XJ1100 "yamama"
            '09 Buell Ulysses

Comment

You should check out the Alien watch tower on the highway near the sand dunes. There is this lady that runs it and she is CRAZY!!!! It's a fun stop to make.

There is also an aligator farm that is kind of cool in the same area.
              "It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees."

Comment

geese I just got back from doing all that stuff. If you are in the area, 50 to 92 is a nice one from Gunnison to Hotchkiss if there is not a lot of traffic. Independance pass was cool on 82 from Carbondale to the 24 intersection.
                Last edited by HobbyMan; 06-29-2007, 10:35 PM.
                United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
                If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
                "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
                "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
                Acta Non Verba

Comment

geese

Were you riding with a flock of migratory birds Hobby Man?

Comment

yes,
                    please excuse the typos. Thats what I get for spending somethig like 5-6 days on a motorcycle
                    Acta Non Verba

Comment

HobbyMan,
                      When you get older, and are able to do a 13 day, 7,200 mile trip, then you have an excuse! You need to learn to use the "preview" button, and do a quick check.
                      Ray Matteis
                      KE6NHG
                      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I did
                        Acta Non Verba

Comment

Sorry to start up a bash fest. I just thought it was funny. Sumtymes I ms.spell thengs twoo.

Comment

its kool
                            Acta Non Verba

Comment

FWIW....

A nice Colorado loop takes you over Independence Pass. Starting in Grand Junction, south on Hwy 50 to Montrose, stay on 50 east to Salida through Gunnison, north on 285 then Hwy 24 toward Leadville, Hwy 82 west over Independence Pass and into Aspen, then stay on 82 all the way to Glenwood Springs and I-70. West on I-70 back to Grand Junction. IIRC this is around 300(?) miles or so, some of it very slow, so makes the loop a full-day trip. Some great scenery which includes the Black Canyon of the Gunnison, lakes, old mining towns, a few miles of 1-lane shelf road, several streams, couple broad valleys, lots of mountains, some streams and a few seasonal waterfalls. Its another great Colorado ride.
                              Jerry Fields
                              '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                              '06 Concours
                              My Galleries Page.
                              My Blog Page.

Comment

Working...
                              X