On the Road again. Where to now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No such thing as luck.................just a NATIVE with a plan
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Colorado weather .... rains nearly every afternoon to cool things off ... find an overpass and get under. Otherwise it's beautiful .... enjoy.

Change the rear tire if any doubt, H-Man, ... blow out on the rear is nasty ... way worse than the front .... will flop you from side to side like a rag doll while you're tryin' to get stopped. Hard to keep control .... don't ask me how I know.
      80G Mini-bagger
      VM33 Smooth bores, Pods, 4/1 Supertrapp, SS brake lines, fork brace

Past XS11s

79F Stone stocker and former daily driver, sold May '10 now converting for N.O. to cafe style
      79SF eventually dismantled for parts
      79F Bought almost new in 80, sold for a house
      79F The Ernie bike sold to a Navy dude summer 08
      79SF Squared-off Special, Vetter/Bates tour pkg., Mikes XS coils, G rear fender and tail light. Sold June 09

Comment

Nice try for someone who doesn't live here.......................try 102degrees and no rain for the past two+ weeks.............over-pass, what's that unless your runnin I-70 or I-25.........and that's lookin for shade.
        Last edited by motoman; 06-30-2007, 11:55 PM.
        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

That was after I straightened everything out. Even the key was bent in two directions.
          United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
          If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
          "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
          "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
          Acta Non Verba

Comment

Acta Non Verba

Comment

"That's it???"

That's all you carried.... just your book bag from High School?
              Where's the tools? Where's the voltmeter? Where's the Chilton's(or at least a copy of the wiring diagram)?
              No water... no extra fuel... no sleeping bag... no rain gear...
              I don't think you went anywhere at all.
              Did you pay WildKat to "Photoshop" you onto someone else's postcards?
              "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Well ....

lived there '68 to '95, Moto .... C. Spgs ..... and that's the way it were .... sorry for the heat wave too bro'. The Eastern slope is, or shall I say at least was usually, generally cooler than the Western slope in the summer.
                80G Mini-bagger

Past XS11s

79F Stone stocker and former daily driver, sold May '10 now converting for N.O. to cafe style
                79SF Squared-off Special, Vetter/Bates tour pkg., Mikes XS coils, G rear fender and tail light. Sold June 09

Comment

It looks like Colorado has mountains almost as high as in CA CA land.
                  Surprising how little damage the XS sustains in slow/moderate crashes. Hope your dad’s OK, takes a lot longer to heal when your older.

mro

Comment

Pro, don't be disapointed. I had some tools in my bag, but all of the other goodies were at the tent site. I also know quite a bit of the clymers by memory. Belive me when I say that I over packed by far. I wanted to lighten the load on the day trips. At first I was going place to place with all of my gear but then I found a nice campsite that was relatively cheap and so I based my operations from there. Actually I had my saddle bags over stuffed, a full stuffed back pack with tools and rain gear, and then I had my bike cover, tent, and sleeping bag. Lets not forget the backpacking stove that was stuffed in my bags.
                    Actually, the bike took quite a hit. You can't really tell from the photos but the bike did bend the frame and luggage rack. That backrest used to stand verticall and now it reclines. When riding behind the bike you can see that the luggage rack, tail light, and rear fender are all in line with each other, but that line is offset from the rear tire by several deg. The right tube is bent down as indicated by the tear in the right part of the backrest. If it isn't cracked I will straighten it.
                    Acta Non Verba

Comment

"Settin' up a patrol base..."

I figger'd that's what you did, but one never knows.
                      "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Thats the way to do it. It ensures a warm dry place to sleep every night. Well, at least my tent is water proof. Every few days you change your "home base"
                        Acta Non Verba

Comment

Just re read this thread ....

and I see that you rode up PP on the bike ..... did this myself once nearly thirty years ago ..... what you described is just what I remembered about the ride up ..... and down. Down was pretty scary .... Had I known you were headed up there, I'd have done my best to talk you out of it .... sorry about your dad and glad he's ok .... were you on HWY 24 riding up or down Ute Pass at the time of the wreck? Down that road going fast is pretty tense too ... much harder that ridin' up it ...
                          80G Mini-bagger

Past XS11s

Comment

Andrew...

I know you're leaving in a couple days. A mix of anticipation AND sadness I imagine. Be careful, but grab this adventure with both hands and see where it takes you. Just remember that you have this whole XS family waiting when you return. I personally look forward to riding with you again. Take care, and go make all of us proud!

Your friend,

Tod
                            Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                            '06 Suzuki DR650
                            *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                            '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                            '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                            '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                            '81 XS1100 Special
                            '81 YZ250
                            '80 XS850 Special
                            '80 XR100
                            *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

"I get up at 4:30 all the time it seems"

?????????????????????????????????

What kind of idiots get up at 4:30am?

Personally, I usually force myself to go to bed between 4:30 and 5am!!!
                              Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
                              '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Originally posted by Crazcnuk
                                "I get up at 4:30 all the time it seems"

?????????????????????????????????

What kind of idiots get up at 4:30am?

Personally, I usually force myself to go to bed between 4:30 and 5am!!!
                                How about the kind that has to be to work by 6 am?

Comment

Working...
                                X