On the Road again. Where to now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On the Road again. Where to now?

Well, I just got back from a 2k mile round trip to Rochester, Minnesota to the Mayo Clinic up there for my sister. BORING. Has anyone driven through miles of nothing lately? I did notice a nice XS750 driving down I35 toll in Kansas, (I think it was in Kansas). I stuck my Dad's Xs11 hat in the window but he didn't see I guess. Anyway, I had plenty of time to plan out my last road trip before I go. I am leaving the 23(hopefully) and am going to drive out to Colorado. I will probably just spend time driving around the Sangre De Cristo mtn range and visit Pikes Peak and Royal Gorge. I havn't been to either of the places since I was very little back in the day. I also have a few relatives out there that may or may not let me stay at their house. For the rest of the time I will be at high elevation state parks. Anyway, I think it is figured to about 2500 miles and I will be back the 30th. Other than that, I have no real time constraint. If anyone wants to ride with me, they are welcome too. Speaking of which, of all you members in that area, how is the weather? I know its probably cold and I just want to know how cold it is. What do yall think. I know the Might XS will handle it if my tires will.
    United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
    If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
    "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
    "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
    Acta Non Verba

"Are you still here?"

Didn't they just throw a party in Texas because you had left, or something?
    Has anyone driven through miles of nothing lately?
    Not recently, but I've read a lot of your postings, which is just about the same thing.
    See, now that's what I never understood about you. You mention a trip, and you say that you're driving out to Colorado. Yet further on, you ask if anyone wants to ride with you.
    So... are you "driving" or "riding"?
    I could not see me cooped up in a car with you for thousands of miles. Riding, would be something different. (At least I could pretend that I lost you in traffic somewhere)
    Keep us informed of your whereabouts, HobbyMan.
    Mesa Verdi National (State?) Park is a good place to visit.
    "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Excuse the confusion. YOu can drive a motorcycle you know. Yes, I will be riding my 80G the whole way. Hey Pro, even though my posts may be a whole lot of nothing, at least they lead somewhere Thanks for the tip
      Acta Non Verba

Comment

even though my posts may be a whole lot of nothing, at least they lead somewhere
        Yes, but they never lead to the end quick enough for me!
        HAhahahaa.
        Oh, HobbyMan, HobbyMan, HobbyMan... What am I gonna do when you're gone?
        Hmm.. leaving on the 23rd, back on the 30th. Figure a comfortable two days out and two days back. Leaves only 5 days to play.
        Camping or motel-ing?

Comment

1 day out and 1 day back. the rest is all relaxation
          Acta Non Verba

Comment

I am going to start this time tommorow (4:30) and drive till I get there
            Acta Non Verba

Comment

Be careful, and get a back tire ya goof! You can get a cheap Cheng Shin or something to get you by. Your tire is bald already and you plan on putting another 2500 on it?

Think of having a blow-out... even if you don't put your baby down to the metal munching road, you're going to have to figure a way to get the tire off in the middle of nowhere (Remember you take very few tools?) and leave your bike there while you try to walk or find a ride somewhere to get a new one put on... which will cost you at LEAST double since you'll really have to have it!

Get a new one and have peace of mind while you ride (Drive?) lol. That's why you're going anyway isn't it? Wish I could be with you again on this one... Take care.

Tod
              Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
              '06 Suzuki DR650
              *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
              '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
              '81 XS1100 Special
              '81 YZ250
              '80 XS850 Special
              '80 XR100
              *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

"What an ungodly hour."

Don't leave at 4:30AM.
                Have the bike all packed the night before and go to bed early.
                Don't set your alarm clock.
                Wake, when your body decides to wake.
                Eat a few grubs for breakfast and then leave.

You're in no hurry to get anywhere, HobbyMan.
                Relax, take your time, and don't push yourself too hard.

Comment

I get up at 4:30 all the time it seems. My rear tire has some tread on it left. I am going to concentrate on, shall I say, not adding any "premature wear." In other words, the only time my engine revs above 3500 rpm is on the freeway. Aslo, my tool kit is sufficient enough to pull the rear wheel off. I am going to buy food that can be eaten cold so that If I can't get my fire past a smoke I will still be able to eat. BTW Tod, I was at a park at about 3am the other morning and found some coals with which I was able to start a roaring fire.
                  Acta Non Verba

Comment

Don't know what your route looks like but if you hit Springer, NM turn leftand go up through to Red River and Questa. Its an amazing road. You end up at Ft Garland then to Walsenburg.
                    Bring your gear because rainy season is starting soon and them cold mountain showers will eat you up. I've been snowed on in July up there.

I am jealous.
                    XS1100SF
                    XS1100F

Comment

This sucks. I had to postpone it one day because I couldn't get to the police station yesterday. I need to get some info from them for some college stuff. I have a stack of paper work that needs to get done before I go.
                      Acta Non Verba

Comment

Don't you hate it when the "Need to" stuff interferes with the "Want to" stuff?? I think that way just about every morning riding to work... whether to turn in to the parking lot or just keep goin'! lol. This frikkin job sure interferes with a lot of my personal plans!

Tod
                        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                        '06 Suzuki DR650
                        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                        '81 XS1100 Special
                        '81 YZ250
                        '80 XS850 Special
                        '80 XR100
                        *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

yeah, at least the police station/jail is open today to get my necessary paper work. I am also using this trip as an excuse to get in shape. I found a bunch of hiking trials that I can use to exercise. Also the high altitude will really give me a workout
                          Acta Non Verba

Comment

Also the high altitude will really give me a workout
                            Headaches and nose-bleeds, too.
                            (Of course, if I had a head like yours, I can imagine it'd ache, too)

Yeah, I know what it's like... Having to stop in at the police station to get permission every time I want to leave the state.

Have a good trip, HobbyMan.

Comment

YOu can drive a motorcycle you know

Wonder if your "ole man" likes "driving" his plane???

mro
                              It's too bad that for those who survive that they inevitably "grow up" (or at least grow old) and responsibilities get in the way of the things that make life worth living.

Comment

Working...
                              X