Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New here

whats up

i just got a 79 xs1100. Needs some work so i will be trolling this board for a while. its in pretty good condition. need a valve cover gasket. got one on order. and i have no second gear. have new transmission on order too. hopefully i get these things by the weekend so i can ride.

Hi ya biz,
    welcome to XS land.

Out a curiosity did you take a look at this part of the forum
    Click link below.
    http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...=&threadid=162

may take a weekend to do the tranny repair.

mro

Comment

ordering?

Biz,

You might want to try getting into the tans. before you start ordering parts. You may either find you don't need them or you need more.
      2 - 80 LGs bought one new
      81 LH
      02 FXSTB Nighttrain
      22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
      Jim

Comment

thanks. I got a complete transmission off ebay for cheap so I should have all the spare parts to do the repair. Now i just need to find the time this weekend to work on it to see what the real problem is.

Comment

Welcome!

Welcome to the brotherhood of XS. My '79 XS11 Special just lost 2nd gear. Apparently this is one of the weak points of the XS models. Of course it does have 85000+ miles! Many bikes have 2nd go oout much sooner. One tip is to take out the battery and drain all the fluids and turn the whole bike upside-down. This makes the tranny very accessable and the parts stay in place better. Good luck, and hope you get her going soon!
          E.Liberty
          Old bikers never die, they're just out of sight!

My recently re-built, hopped up '79 Special caught fire and burned everything from the top of the engine up: gas tank, wiring, seat, & melted my windshield all over the front of the bike. Just bought a 1980 Special that has been non oped for 9 years. My Skoot will rise from the ashes and be re named "The Phoenix!"
          I've been riding since 1959.

Comment

just lost 2nd gear

Hey Lib...
            If you can't find it let me know.
            Think I've got a few lower ends left up on the pallet racks.

mro

Comment

well i got it running without leaking any oil. now i just have to get into the transmission and find out what is going on. i rode it today down the street and it went into second with out slipping so I am hoping that is something simple like a bent shifter fork. i got a whole transmission off of ebay for cheap and have all the parts i will need. so after this weekend i can get on the road with no worries. couldn t get it done this last weekend, cause i went fishing. caught 10 dolphin fish (mahi-mahi) and 2 amber jack
              and that is my update.

Comment

was on a honeymoon in the Keys. Told everyone that I caught some dolphin fish and they were all like " I can't believe that you would catch them and eat them, oh poor dolphins." It is not like I ate flipper or anything.
                Travis Miller
                1978 E

Comment

Hey Biz,

Before tearing into the Tranny, you may just need to align the shift pawl and shift drum, there are notches scribed into both and when the bike is in 2nd gear, they should line up, IF NOT, then it can be adjusted. I believe there is a tech tip about replacing the shift return spring and also about this! It's in the manual! You might get lucky! You might also find some bent or missing pegs on the end of the shift drum? This is all done just under the left hand shift lever cover.....oil chamber, either drain the oil, or lean the bike way over to the right to prevent oil spillage!

IF the thin plate on the end of the shift drum is bent and pin(s) bent/misaligned/missing, order a NEW PLATE from bikebandit, once bent, it doesn't hold up to the stress and will rebend!
                  T.C.
                  T. C. Gresham
                  81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                  79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                  History shows again and again,
                  How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Just saying welcome to the site. Tons and tons of help on these pages.
                    78 xs1100E standard

Comment

dolphin

Only caught a few small ones in Florida, never got out in the deeper water. Have had fun there catching Tarpon, Snook and Reds. Bigger jacks are fun too.
                      In Baja they call em Dorado.
                      I like to stay at a small town called Muleje (sea of cortez). Middle of summer the big Dorado move in. Have caught a few bulls up to 40 pounds on the fly. Love to see em jump.

mro

Comment

Working...
                      X