Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How I shot myself in the foot on Fathers Day....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How I shot myself in the foot on Fathers Day....

Being this is my first post (i think, been reading a lot and can't remember posting) I thought I'd try to set the mood by telling a funny story. I don't currently have an xs1100 but have been drooling/eyeballing one at a repair shop that my buddy owns. He's agreed to sell it to me at a fantastic price. But there's the problem, the price. Even if it was a dollar I'd still have to get a loan from the bank. Well, after much discussion with the wife we decided to try and roll in the $800 for the bike into a home improvement loan to get our central AC replaced. Unknown to me she had decided for fathers day she would get her own loan and buy the bike for me and then play a joke like my friend had sold it out from under me. Well, in the act of getting offers for a home improvement loan through lending tree I found an email saying I had been approved for a $1000 loan. Amazingly it was from the same lending company that had denied my $8000 request. Thinking I had filled out the form wrong I called them and cancelled the request for the $1000 (how am I going to buy a motorcycle and AC system for a measly grand anyway, right) and to concentrate on the credit for $8000. When I told my wife she informed me I had completely ruined my fathers day gift by cancelling the loan request she was going to use. Hooray me.

So as it stands, Fathers Day has come and gone. I'm still trying to get approved for 8K. And the bike is still sitting at the shop while my buddy is out on a fun run on one of his other bikes.

I'm seriously contemplating going back to the $1000 loan and using the extra 200 to buy a window unit or something and limp our way through the summer until tax refund time can inject a little cash into our AC purchase.

But when I do get the bike (and I will get the bike) it has the body of an '80 xs1100 special and the motor of a '79 xs1100 special. The last thing it needs to be roadworthy is a part that is suppose to prevent it from flooding itself out. (details are sketchy at this point). Either way I know I can count on everyone to help out when it gets to that point. I can already see from a month of reading that you guys are plenty helpful in that department.
    79 Special Engine/80 Special Body - sold to bigray03

That's funny Welcome aboard
    "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
    1981 LH

Comment

Welcome!!!!!

You are off to a great start! With a story like that, you will fit in very well around here!

Wait till you get the bike and start working on it. You will have some more great stories!

Seriously, best of luck with the loan stuff and the AC.

Remember, the BEST AC in the world comes at 70mph on the seat of an XSive beast!
      JimBoReeno
      My Ex!"Half-Breed"
      '82 XJ1100 Maxim with
      '80 XS1100SG Motor

Current Bike
      2000 Indian Chief
      Millennium Edition

Comment

home improvement loan to get our central AC

May be able to get loan thru the AC supplier as well as a tax credit for a new "energy efficient" model. I keep getting similar offers in the mail. (detest junk mail )

mro

Comment

Welcome from out of the darkness of lurking mode!

As you have read here, we try to help where and when we can. So....IF you'll add your location to your profile or signature, you may find folks closer to you than you thought. They might even have a bike for sale that might be cheaper, etc.??

As for the part to prevent flooding, sounds like the Octopus....don't bother, it's a PITA, just leave it off and route your lines with filters and turn off the petcocks when parked! Will save you $50.00+ by not putting it on! And having the 79 engine is a plus, it's stronger than the 80, and more tunable, providing it also has the 79 ignition timing parts, not the 80 break off bolts holding the timing plate in place!?

Best of luck with the finances. Hope to see you post your PHOTOS of your new bike soon!
          T.C.

PS, almost forgot, had to do a double take when I first read your handle....thought it first said MANSHANK !?
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. I've got my profile updated but for those of you too lazy to find it I live in Crockett, TX. 2 hrs northeast of Houston.

The part was called a stator or something like that. If I have a repair manual I can wrench my way through anything. Supposedly it will ride about 1/4 mile before flooding itself out. This part is supposed to correct that problem. We'll see. My buddy gets back on the 25th so I may hit him up with a deal like I'll pay for the repairs so far and monthly payment to him for the rest. Hey, I fix his computers all the time for free so why not right? Just a little I'll scratch your back you scratch mine. Of course, he's already explained to me that he's losing money on this one. He had two bikes at the repair shop and I remember him saying $800 for one of them so that's what I offered. When we finally realized I wasn't talking about the Vision 550 he just let the price stick anyway.

And hey, if there are members close to me I'd be delighted to visit one day and let you show me what an octopus looks like! I can tear stuff apart but I don't have the vocabulary for engines just yet. But hey, anyone needing to unfreeze a spindle on a hard drive from a 486 packard bell, give me a ring!

Comment

Hey ManShack,

I bumped to the top the Texas Member's thread, take a look and add yourself to it!

The stator is part of the charging system, so don't know WHY they would think it's involved in the bike flooding itself?? Would be best just to get the bike AS IS, and then go thru the trouble shooting process here! Again, best of luck!
              T.C.
              T. C. Gresham
              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
              History shows again and again,
              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

needing to unfreeze a spindle on a hard drive from a 486

I've put a few HD's in the freezer to get them to work long enough to get the data off. Much easier when it worked than to take the drive apart

mro

Comment

Bad timing...

not on the bike... although I have no way of REALLY knowing...

John and I are planning on being down that way Thursday (we're in the Dallas/ Ft.Worth area)... but it looks like you won't have the bike by then...

Funny thing about these bikes... as frustrating as they can be... apparently before you even get them home in some cases... they certainly make up for it (in most cases)

Sorry your Father's Day present fell through... but it will all be worth it in the long run...
                  81 SH Something Special
                  81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
                  81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
                  80 LG Black Magic
                  78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
                  For those on FB

Comment

Thanks again for the outpouring of support. And to think I don't even own the monster yet!

I pressed on my buddy about the part and it turns out the stator might be for the other bike in the shop. So no telling what I'm getting into!

Filling out another loan app today. Had to get my mom to cosign, how embarrassing. Havent' tried to borrow money in a while and didn't realize how bad my credit was messed up. I got screwed over by a company out of Florida that was supposed to be like Consumer Credit Counseling. They just took my payments for about 3 months and disappeared. By then it was too late to salvage my credit. Live and learn.

Comment

The 550 Vision was know for the bad stators. The XS11 probably needs the carbs cleaned PROPERLY, and then synced. Good luck on the loan!!
                      Ray Matteis
                      KE6NHG
                      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

My wife had told me a box was coming in and not to open it. It was on the porch when I got home. I gave it a good shake and judging from the size and the "Motorcycle-Superstore.com" logo on the side I'm 99% sure it's a helmet. You wouldn't buy a helmet if you weren't going to be riding would you? Hmm....I think she's got one more trick up her sleeve. I'll post back later either way when I get to open the box tonight!

Comment

WooHoo! (maybe)

the anticipation is going to drive you crazy... isn't it?

Good luck! I hope it all works the way you would like!
                          81 SH Something Special
                          81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
                          81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
                          80 LG Black Magic
                          78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
                          For those on FB

Comment

Well, I waited it out and lo and behold it was a helmet.

I had kind of wanted a half helmet because I don't like my ears being squished but this one has plenty of room in the ear area. I just look dopey with it on.

So let's see, I'm licensed (took the safety course and everything), and I have a helmet......what other piece am I missing?

(now the really frustrating part, waiting for the bike)

(pics taken on camera phone)

Comment

Don't worry, you won't hurt my feelings if you agree I look goofy in that helmet!

Comment

Working...
                              X