new xs 1100/just got the old one right

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new xs 1100/just got the old one right

Thought i was bidding on this 79 special for my brother in law but he bailsd after we won the bike.3 bikes were too many ...or so I was told so sold my 80 standard when this beauty came in. Ahhh new stuff to play with, fuel in air box, running rich,and hard cranking. Not thrilled tearing carbs down but been doing a lot of reading here, and the manual.Still haven't deciced on which rebuild kit and if I should replace jets as wellany sugestions would be appreciated 2 carbs cleaned and only one butterfly screw had to be easy outed
    Thanks for all the info, this siteahs been a great help i will try to get some pics as I go along
    79 XS 1100 sf

going thru I found that the needle jets are in the wrong carbs according to motorcyclecarbs.com on 79 sf 1/3 should be 301 and 2/4 should be 266 would this cause tunning issues?
    79 XS 1100 sf

Comment

Needle jet according to Yamaha manual is X-2 (all)
      Only time I've seen different jets between carbs
      are mains for 80 and 81, inside pair up one size.

mro

Comment

Sorry for the confusion, on looking up in motorcyclecarbs.com were listed as such, in manual are main screw ... I think
        79 XS 1100 sf

Comment

main screw ... I think

I think I could use one

Pilot jet 42.5
          Pilot screw..... size not listed in manual, just says "preset (1.1/4 turns out)"

mro
          if replacing pilot screws and new ones don't match with other carbs would replace em all, then adjust.

Comment

I was back to motorcyclecarbs.com again too doublecheck and 1 &4 are 301, 2 & 3 are 266 for the 79 special The part is called the main screw in the climber manual needle goes in from above and the main jet screws in from below.
            79 XS 1100 sf

Comment

They're emulsion tubes, there's an X2 266(2h7) and apparently a X2 301(3h3). I've only ever seen the 266's, they're stamped X2 266, 16 air holes in them, I assume the 301's are stamped X2 301 and are a leaner tube with more? air holes or a smaller inside diameter.

See that yamaha part list shows the 79SF as running one pair of 2h7's & one pair of 3h3's, all a bit confusing, probably all to do with emission controls, seems bloody ridiculous to me, makes things over complicated - staggered main jets & staggered emulsion tubes, HA! I've always stuck to the original 78' carb setup - that's all jets and tubes identical right across. The original 78E was always the 'gruntiest' machine wasn't it?

You could always slap in one size cooler sparkplugs (bp7's) on 2&3 if worried about extra heat on the inside cylinders, mines oil-cooled anyway, I've never bothered, load of bollocks I reckon..

Comment

thanks for clearing that up,now I have found the rebuild kits and the butterfly seals but can't seeem to find the needle jets/ emulsion tubes Any idea where i can buy these
                79 XS 1100 sf

Comment

Looks like I may have found the needle jets. got to call monday. Haven't seen this place listed here- www.powersedge.com]
                  79 XS 1100 sf

Comment

Working...
                  X