1.61%
    Blinkers
    14.52%
    Directionals
    4.84%
    Something else, post below
    6.45%
    Gary Granger
    Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
    2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

i call them scrap metal,take them off use your hands....works for me in all kindsa traffic.
    mick
    xs1.1s(x2)
    gsxr1100(1127)
    gsx1100g(x2)
    trophy900
    bonneville750

http://www.tonyfoale.com/

Comment

You must be a drag racer! Any thing not required by law is stripped and thrown out......front fender is wasted weight too!

Cool!
      Gary Granger
      Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
      2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

thrown out

let me see....half the frame,swing arm,shocks,all electrics,all bodywork,exhausts,air box,mirrors,yokes(trees) ..... all binned ...less weight=faster acceleration=bigger grin.
        mick
        xs1.1s(x2)
        gsxr1100(1127)
        gsx1100g(x2)
        trophy900
        bonneville750

http://www.tonyfoale.com/

Comment

Proper name for turn signals?

That’s a simple question to answer here is my opinion …….. No See Umms … after all how many times have cages not seen them and got mad at riders for changing lanes or turning so they must be invisible from the lack of response from all those drivers in cages

1979 XS11 Special

Scratching my head wondering why I live in Wintertoba.. not enough riding season here :D

Andy :)

Comment

I wanted to vote for both Directional signals (which I did) and blinkers...I use both terms
            Pat Kelly
            <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
            1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
            2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
            1999 Suburban (The Ship)
            1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
            1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

turn snignals

Turn signals thats what they're called 70.97 % can't be wrong.....hey did anyone besides me see the video Irish took at "Ride East 2002", what a great keepsake.....if you were there order one from him......
              Bruce Doucette
              78 XS1100
              Bruce Doucette
              Phone #1 902 827 3217

Comment

here in OZ we call them just plain blinkers or indicaters, a real old term is trafficators, but this is generally reserved for english cars that have arms that swing out from the side of the car
                As a child i just remember metal arms that stuck out from trucks, with a fake hand on the end which had a lever that turned the fake hand up to show a stop signal

Comment

National thing

Think I may have started this one off a while ago by using 'indicators' in a post. - Hi SixtySix

What is obvious is that it's a national thing - but that's fairly clear to me at this end from the start. Anyone out there from the US / Canada with an old Triumph or Norton (or a host of other opld Brits) who buys parts from the main English parts suppliers (or reads the original manuals) I'm sure will understand what I mean as they may have met this the other way around.

I see 'blytheau' from OZ has terms which are more English - English (if you see what I mean) - mainly, I suppose 'cause all the 'wingeing poms' have been populating the place for years - even some of my relations. Who can blame them - I'm tempted (anyone want a project manager / corrosion engineer).

When I read (and post) here I do find the odd bit of terminology different to what I'm used to - like triple-tree instead of steering head - that took me a little while to work out.

Hopefully everyone can sort through the differences in these little technical points and understand what we all mean - even us Brits - or more particularly me who rambles on..and on.....
                  XS1.1 sport - Sold June 2005 :-(
                  Guzzi 850
                  Z1000

Comment

Hopefully everyone can sort through the differences in these little technical points and understand what we all mean
                    Yah, we can. It's one of the things that makes lists like this one interesting and active.
                    CUAgain,
                    Daniel Meyer
                    Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
                    Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

Whatchamacallit

OK Dan,

While you're here could you pass me the thingaamejig so that I can torque up this hoogamaflip and connect all the gangle pins

XS1.1 sport - Sold June 2005 :-(
                      Guzzi 850
                      Z1000

Comment

I think you have to remove the doohicky first. Otherwise the whatsit will get in the way of that . . . thingy . . . there . . .
                        CUAgain,
                        Daniel Meyer
                        Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
                        Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

"...what do you call 'em..."

Sometimes Lefty and Righty, but mostly "useless" unless I am surrounded by others bikers...
                          Marty in NW PA
                          Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
                          Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
                          This IS my happy face.

Comment

Heh!

Well Danny you forgot to tell him that after he loosens it he has to stick the wigglin pin in the wobblin hole so it won't fall off unexpectedly....;-P

And to answer the 64$ question....
                            I have always called them turn signals...

Take Care!
                            Keep the shiny side up!
                            Tinman
                            --------
                            XSTin
                            80SG

Comment

T'ain't nevah thought. Supposin that be y i don'ts knows whats they be. What be it we talkin bout? oh yeah them off on off on off on off on things, huh?
                              82 XJ1100 "Resurrected"
                              Riding with the Son

Comment

Working...
                              X