free gloves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• free gloves

Just got a free pair of Mechanix Wear gloves in the mail just for buying some Valvoline oil. Anybody ever use these? I've always just had my hands get filthy and scraped up and then let Gojo, Fast Orange or such do it's thing. Can you use gloves like these around hot motors?
    80 SG
    81 SH in parts
    99 ST1100
    91 ST1100

great gloves

Good deal, keep 'em, I use em when I ride for protection, they breathe well and when I was setting my final idle setting I didn't burn my hands reaching in and turning the "big" throttle adjustment.
    Mark A. Guthrie TSgt USAF (ret)
    S&M Comp. Serv. Inc. V.P.
    1981 XS11SH XCaliber

Comment

I didn't burn my hands reaching in and turning the "big" throttle adjustment.

Sissy, soft-handed candy-a@#!! LOL... If you did like Laxdad does and let em get scraped up every now and then, you could handle things like that!

Tod

P.S. Yeah, I still remember the oil drip thing... and we're NOT even!
      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
      '06 Suzuki DR650
      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
      '81 XS1100 Special
      '81 YZ250
      '80 XS850 Special
      '80 XR100
      *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Originally posted by trbig

Sissy, soft-handed candy-a@#!! LOL... If you did like Laxdad does and let em get scraped up every now and then, you could handle things like that!

Tod

P.S. Yeah, I still remember the oil drip thing... and we're NOT even!
        Hey JOHN,

Don't you have some photos of TOD working on his bike at your place with him wearing the rubber PLAYTEX gloves?

Dean, when I used to assist in surgery a lot I had to protect my hands from nicks and cuts or I wouldn't be allowed to scrub in, and found the household gloves fairly protective and easy to clean off. Just wish I didn't sweat so much in them!!
        T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

TC, TC,TC.....

You got your facts all wrong!! I saw you and your green rubbers on your hands in some of those pics, and brought some as a joke to John's house... was gonna say something to the effect of "I thought all gurus wore these?" and make fun of you! (I didn't have the guru title at the time!) lol. Lo and behold.. when we start working on the bike.. John whips out some rubber gloves and ruined my dang joke! I will say that I have toughened him up a bit though... he hasn't worn them since.

In all honesty, I do wear them occasionally when working with gas and the carbs. I don't know what the heck is in this stuff they call gas any more, but that smell won't wash off for days. Maybe I should bathe more often?? lol..

Tod

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
          '06 Suzuki DR650
          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
          '81 XS1100 Special
          '81 YZ250
          '80 XS850 Special
          '80 XR100

Comment

nine spritzen der mitzen

All kiddin' aside, I really like that brand of glove ... use 'em all the time .... takes a bit of practice but I was surprised at the level of dexterity I could achieve while wearin' 'em. Not quite as good as bare handed or Nitriles but pretty good. Chuck 'em in the wash with your dirty Levis ... use 'em over and over again.

Makes gettin' cleaned up a snap too. My bikes really aren't that dirty, but my 5 diesels sure as hell are. .... so: two thumbs up for the glove schwag, bro'.
            80G Mini-bagger
            VM33 Smooth bores, Pods, 4/1 Supertrapp, SS brake lines, fork brace

Past XS11s

79F Stone stocker and former daily driver, sold May '10 now converting for N.O. to cafe style
            79SF eventually dismantled for parts
            79F Bought almost new in 80, sold for a house
            79F The Ernie bike sold to a Navy dude summer 08
            79SF Squared-off Special, Vetter/Bates tour pkg., Mikes XS coils, G rear fender and tail light. Sold June 09

Comment

Another option for protecting your hands from a wide range of solvents, gas, paint, thinners, grease, etc, is a professional barrier cream like Glove Coat . It won't protect against nicks, but it will protect your skin. When you're done, this stuff is water soluble so it washes off easily, along with all the nasty dirt and grease.
              Ken Talbot

Comment

glove in a tube

I have looked for this kinda' stuff for quite a while with no luck finding it. I used to use a similar barrier agent called 'DuPont Protek' or somethin' like that. Was great but I lost track of how to get it as appears to have undergone some name changes over the decades since I'd last seen the stuff .... thx for the link, Ken. Gonna' git me some
                80G Mini-bagger
                VM33 Smooth bores, Pods, 4/1 Supertrapp, SS brake lines, fork brace

Past XS11s

79F Stone stocker and former daily driver, sold May '10 now converting for N.O. to cafe style
                79SF eventually dismantled for parts
                79F Bought almost new in 80, sold for a house
                79F The Ernie bike sold to a Navy dude summer 08
                79SF Squared-off Special, Vetter/Bates tour pkg., Mikes XS coils, G rear fender and tail light. Sold June 09

Comment

Rozalex - - -

- - - used it all the time back 'ome
                  http://www.aspli.com/product_detail.asp?pid=189
                  but where can you get the stuff over 'ere?
                  Far better "feel" than through the thinnest of rubber gloves (insert warning about it not protecting against STDs) and makes after work hand washing much easier.
                  Fred Hill, S'toon.
                  Fred Hill, S'toon
                  XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                  "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by trbig
                    TC, TC,TC.....

John whips out some rubber gloves and ruined my dang joke! I will say that I have toughened him up a bit though... he hasn't worn them since.

Tod
                    Tod, my poor uninformed, misguided lil' buddy. I wear nitrile gloves all the time at work, and here at home. I can get into some really nasy stuff at work, and just because I am a mechanic, that doesn't mean I have to look like one. I hate it when my hands get so dirty that they won't come clean any more.

Comment

I wear MechanixWear gloves that are made for Makita Tools. I occasionally score a free pair at work. Usually I go without, but spinning my Colortune in and out of a hot XS11 head is somewhat less unpleasant when wearing gloves.
                      2010 Kawasaki Z1000
                      1979 SF: Millennium Falcon, until this Saturday

Comment

So these gloves can take a little heat? What do race mechanics use working on hot engine parts etc.?
                        80 SG
                        81 SH in parts
                        99 ST1100
                        91 ST1100

Comment

race crewchiefs

mechanixwear gloves........ in fact .... Sunday watch the race....

Go Junior!

(Tod---- shaddup)
                          Mark A. Guthrie TSgt USAF (ret)
                          S&M Comp. Serv. Inc. V.P.
                          1981 XS11SH XCaliber

Comment

For once we agree Mark.. Go Junior!! Go here... go there... just frikkin go somewhere else and go away! If you were really a fan... you would have been drinking Budweiser all along to support the poor fella! Now he's going to have to go to another team somewhere and it's all your fault!

Tod

Current bikes:
                            '06 Suzuki DR650
                            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                            '81 XS1100 Special
                            '81 YZ250
                            '80 XS850 Special
                            '80 XR100

Comment

We use those gloves at work. I am still waiting for my free-bees. Alot of guys wear them 4 wheeling. Not sure about hot but they are good for grip.
                              Gary Granger
                              Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
                              2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

Working...
                              X