Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter Leather Jacket

Hi All,
    Just wanted to know if anyone had opinions on various brands/models of winterproof Leather Jackets.
    My previous jacket was pretty good, kept me warm, and saved me from a little roadrash when I got into a pretty bad accident, but the seams that I had sewed up (the paramedics cut it into several pieces) just aren't working too well and the zipper is pretty much toast.
    1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
    1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
    http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

How winterproof do you need in Tallahassee? (And by the way, it was 90+ degrees here today.) I bought a leather jacket with a zipout liner. 'Course we don't get much rain here and if it's raining I don't go out in it either. Mainly because people here don't know how to drive in the rain, or fog for that matter. We had a fifty car pileup a couple of weeks ago. You might be better off with one of the new miracle fabrics that don't wear and are waterproof. Motorcycle Consumer news recently had a comparison of them, and followed up the next month with a report from an owner who had gone down. Nothin' but praise from him.

Comment

First orr, there is no such thing as "winterproof". Best thing you can hope for is "winter resistant". I have a "First Gear" leather with removable liner. Zipper vents on sleeves and the back. Weighs a ton. Coldest it will get here in about 15f. Works pretty good. Coldest weather requires a light jcaket under leather coat. My morning commute is only 17 miles so hypothermia dosent really get a chance to set in. All said, it was a very good buy for the protection and looks. $298.00 here in Albuq
      When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

Leather jacket

Yeah, I should have mentioned the weight. Being and overly large person, I had my jacket made by the ladies at Bates Leathers (Don't ask!). It is racing weight (about fifteen pounds) with armor. Has chest and back vents. I haven't been cold enough yet to put the liner in.

Comment

The biggest reason I want leather is because of the roadrash element, I haven't really heard about how other newer materials come out from accidents.

Heh, it does get kinda nippy here in Tallahassee, believe it was about 31 degrees F on the way to work this morning, it will get down to teens and..gulp...possibily single digits this winter. I know that may not sound that bad to you guys, but I'm a wuss
          1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
          1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
          http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

That's colder than it gets here in the land of fruits and nuts.
            Check out the Motorcycle Consumer News article on alternative jackets, and then the followup report on the guy who crashed wearing his.

Comment

I have a TourMaster suit, which has separate jacket. Material is Cordura. Jacket has zip in liner for colder weather, is vented, is 'water resistant' (Pretty good, too.) and has slip in armor for back, elbows, sides. Lowest temp I've ridden in so far is 22 deg F, was quite comfortable. I do ride behind a Windjammer fairing, though, which helps quite a bit. Jacket price was around $150.00, I think. has been a few years since I bought mine.

Road rash factor....

A couple people on the list have (or had) same make of jacket, and reported (from firt-hand experience) that it holds up as well as leather in slides and skids.

Drawbacks: can't be repaired like leather, perhaps not as stylish. Not as likely to wear it as a casual jacket. Advantages: Little maintenance, less expensive, replaceable armor, with liner can be comfortable over a wide range of temps.

I like mine, have worn it many thousands of miles, would recomment you take a look as you do your research. Think the URL is:

http://www. tourmaster.com
              Jerry Fields
              '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
              '06 Concours
              My Galleries Page.
              My Blog Page.
              "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Does it really have to be leather, for real warmth and the last word in water prooffosity [its a word]you cant go past a belstaf jacket or the full set of pants and jacket for,that matter. Belstaff is a brand name and pretty pricey, but a generic waxed cotton equivelent is more than adequite,and heaps cheaper, they look kind of puncey the first season but they wear in nice and after a couple of years you look quite wind swept and interesting in them, leather gets wet and stays wet, these dont! Ok you smell like a "cricket bat" until the wax soaks in,or it rubs off on your couch, chairs or loungeroom walls [gees dosent that make you popular]leather is nice, but waxed cotton is for serious tourers

Comment

Working...
                X