New Parts Cleaner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Parts Cleaner

Being that it is a Sunday morning I took a break from working on My bike to install my new parts washer. It will come in real handy when i start my custom bike rebuild. It was on sale at CTC for 49 bucks so if it works well it's a good score. I guess I will have to run "Chomp" or some other non petroleum based degreaser in it. Anyone else have one of these home garage type units and if so what do you use in it.
    Rob

KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
    1978 XS500E
    1979 XS1100F Restored
    1980 XS1100 SG
    1981 Suzuki GS1100
    1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
    1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Right now I've got mine loaded up with Castrol Super Clean. It cleans well and doesn't smell up the basement.
    Ken Talbot

Comment

"Oh... look at Mr. Fancy!"

Hey, when you're done there, I have a new stainless steel sink that you can install in my kitchen counter top.

Yeah, I've seen those at the local parts store, too. Made for biodegradeable, water based solvents, or something.
      Now then... I don't know if everyone can get away with this, and I suppose it depends on the type solvent, but we have one of those types here at the shop. Have been running regular solvent through it for over four years. I guess the worry is that regular solvent would eat up the seals/O rings or something.
      Hasn't happened to ours, but who's to say.
      The effectiveness of regular solvent over water-based was worth the risk.(If a mechanic can't take apart a pump and replace o-rings, well, there's something wrong there.)
      Not saying you should run solvent... just saying that we did.

Interesting concept, the counter top mounting. Never seen that before. Is that how they do it up north?
      "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

I did it that way for easy working height, can use the lid area when not using the washer, Floor space is tight in my garage. The pump on this puppy is one of those plastic aquarium types with the epoxy sealed motor. The instructions say that some petroleum based solvents will remove the paint. I think I will also add a drain at the bottom before I use it for the first time.
        Rob

1978 XS1100E Modified
        1978 XS500E
        1979 XS1100F Restored
        1980 XS1100 SG
        1981 Suzuki GS1100
        1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

I think I will also add a drain at the bottom
          Miss my parts washer
          Don't miss the monthly bill to change the solvent tho.
          One of these days going to get a blast cabinet

mro

Comment

Drain would be an interesting idea.

Change the solvent monthly?

Whoa... aren't we high-fallutin'!
            Coupl'a years ago, some company wanted us to try their "Wonder Solvent" for 60 days, so we did. Great stuff.
            They came back and pumped it out, as the boss was too cheap to buy it. Old solvent went back in.
            I, on the other hand, spend money like the world's ending. (Which in a way, it is)
            Five gals. of solvent is something like $30.

Comment

The drain will be handy to run the cleaner through a filter from time to time and drain the unit for WINTER time. It just seemed like a good plan.
              Rob

1978 XS1100E Modified
              1978 XS500E
              1979 XS1100F Restored
              1980 XS1100 SG
              1981 Suzuki GS1100
              1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

It is.

Comment

Ooh, there's posh.

Hi Rob,
                  it's been my experience that no matter how large a washtank is, the thing you really need to clean is just too large to fit in it. That said, your parts washer installation looks real neat. Far neater than the dump-salvaged & endwise-split hot water tank on a stand I used to use. But I betcha yours can't be filled with BBQ coals with an expanded metal grille on top to cook 24 steaks at one time for a family gathering.
                  Your least-cost solvent will be diesel fuel. If diesel attacks your plastic wonder take it back & play hell. Stinks a bit, mind you; an extractor fan will help. A neat thing I saw on a commercial washtank:- the solvent was pumped via a flexible rubber hose that had a circular scrub-brush on it's end that the solvent came out through.
                  Fred Hill, S'toon.
                  Fred Hill, S'toon
                  XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                  "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Oh there's no doubt that there are parts on my bike that will not fit in there but most will. It is big enough to handle the likes of the clutch side engine cover and many of the engine parts.
                    Rob

1978 XS1100E Modified
                    1978 XS500E
                    1979 XS1100F Restored
                    1980 XS1100 SG
                    1981 Suzuki GS1100
                    1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Working...
                    X