Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi there.

I just joined to the Forum.
    I have been reading different threads in this forums for a couple of weeks, and now I joined in.
    I just bought an 82 XJ1100J like three weeks ago, and that's why I've been looking around in this forum
    I'm from Costa Rica, I don't know if there's anyone else here from Central America???

Well, I just want to say HI to everyone, and you'll be hearing or reading from me.

My projects with the bike are, re-doing the seat, making it lower and prettier, lowering the rear shocks, re-doing the tail and swap taillights and turn lights, I will post some pictures soon, so you'll see the progress on the bike.

See you

Luis Chia

Welcome!

The promise of pics will make several here happy...

Are you doing the seat yourself or having it done for you? How do you plan on lowering it? There are several threads around here discussing various ways to do this... If you haven't had a chance to read them... they are a great source of info.

looking forward to seeing what you have!
    Welcome again
    81 SH Something Special
    81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
    81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
    80 LG Black Magic
    78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
    For those on FB

Comment

Beinvenido,

always good to have another XSive on the board. This site is full of invaluable information, I think you'll like it here.

Enjoy
      I am the Lorax, I speak for the Trees

'80 XS1100 SG (It's Evil, Wicked, Mean & Nasty)

'79 XS1100 F R (IL Barrachino)

'00 Suzuki Intruder 1400 (La Soccola)

'77 KZ400s (La Putana)

Comment

"Welcome"

The promise of pics will make several here happy...
        Yes, please do. I'm always looking for other people's ideas to steal.
        "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Here's the pictures as I bought the bike, I will post pictures as I make some mods on it.

The way I see what needs to be done

-Change the grips (already done)
          -New Tires (on the process)
          -New Seat (I'm going to make it real low, I really don't like how it looks)
          -Lower the rear suspension about an inch, planning to move the upper brackets a little up and to the front (mine has air suspension and do not want to loose that with smaller regular shocks)
          -Remove the seat rest or handle or whatever its called, to have a nice and clear rear fender.
          -Shave the rear fender to make it look smooth and round.
          -Replace the tail light with some sort of LED design, as well as the turn signals all around.
          -Replace the muffler (this one sucks)
          -Relocate the license plate to below the fender.
          -I almost forgot, redoing the speedo and tach, mines doesn't work at all, so I'm going to change the whole thing. And paint or do something with the brake calipers, they are RED

I know its a lot, but I have some skills, electrical, and mechanical, so pretty much I just need to pay for the parts and then I do everything myself. And of course all this will be done one step at a time, so it will take some time.

Comment

Looking forward to seeing pictures of your mods Luis

Folk on here have some great info
            Tom
            1982 5K7 Sport, restored to original from a wreck
            1978 2H9 (E), my original XS11, mostly original
            1980 2H9 monoshocked (avatar pic)http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf30aa1c8.jpg
            1982 XJ1100, waiting resto to original

Comment

Looks nice. I don't guess I have ever seen XS wheels on an XJ.

Tod
              Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
              '06 Suzuki DR650
              *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
              '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
              '81 XS1100 Special
              '81 YZ250
              '80 XS850 Special
              '80 XR100
              *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Looks nice. I don't guess I have ever seen XS wheels on an XJ.
                The wheels and rotors are interchangeable between the XS and XJ. I ran solid XS rotors for a while until I came across some of the OEM slotted rotors. Ususally the XJ (and earlier '81 XS models) wheels are fit to older bikes as the original '78 into 'early '80 units used a tube-type tire, and the later XS and XJ used a tubeless tire. Rims use a different bead-seating design, so if you want to use a tubeless rim on an early XS, go with the late model rims. All the 'swirl' rims are tubeless, and many of the 'straight' wheels are as well; the word "Tubeless" is cast into the rim on both styles. Early 17 inch rear rims were also tube-type, but there were some 17 inch tubeless rims made in later production runs.
                Jerry Fields
                '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                '06 Concours
                My Galleries Page.
                My Blog Page.
                "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Hi Luis - - -

- - - and welcome.
                  You say:- "-I almost forgot, redoing the speedo and tach, mines doesn't work at all, so I'm going to change the whole thing. And paint or do something with the brake calipers, they are RED"
                  Regarding those non-working istruments,
                  first check the speedo drive cable. If it is broken and you don't have a local supplier, Dennis Kirk will sell you a new one for US$ 15:99. They shipped stuff to my son in Australia so shipping to Costa Rica shouldn't be a problem. But BEFORE happily attaching the new cable, take the busted stub of the broken one, poke it into the square hole in the speedo and spin it with your fingers. There should be hardly any resistance. If it's hard to turn the new cable will break too. (Mr Stupid didn't do that; my new cable lasted all of 17km)
                  If you are new to the XS11's electrics you may not know that the tachometer is also a de facto alternator monitor. It works by counting the AC pulses from one phase of the alternator. No pulses = no tach reading = fried alternator (or if you are in luck, cleaning the 4-pin plug in the tach. wiring may be all that's needed) Red calipers? Can you see them when you are riding? That's the thing you fix after everything else is put right.
                  Fred Hill, S'toon.
                  Fred Hill, S'toon
                  XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                  "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Welcome! The bike looks great. The guys on here are pretty damn helpfull and friendly for the most part! Can't tell you how lost I would be without this sight.
                    78 xs1100E standard

Comment

Thanks to everyone, I have already read a bunch of threads on mods or repairs, there's a lot of info here.

As soon as I work on my bike I will continue posting pictures, so far I just changed tires and grips.

Once again thanks to everyone here

Comment

Luis, Bienvenidos al Mundo de Los XSives. (XSsivos?)

Seriously, stick with us and enjoy the ride...
                        Papa Gino

79 and something XS 1100 Special "Battle Cruiser"
                        78 XT 500 "Old Shaky"
                        02 Kawasaki Concours "Connie"

Comment

Very nice and welcome!
                          The seat rail does not look right for an XJ. The grab bar on the back is weird. I have never seen a round one. Mine was flat and square. I doesn't look stock to me.
                          However I will say those red calipers are kinda flashy!
                          JimBoReeno
                          My Ex!"Half-Breed"
                          '82 XJ1100 Maxim with
                          '80 XS1100SG Motor

Current Bike
                          2000 Indian Chief
                          Millennium Edition

Comment

from a different market?

JimBoreeno sez:-
                            "The seat rail does not look right for an XJ. The grab bar on the back is weird. - - - "
                            Hi JimBo,
                            remember that Luis' bike is in Costa Rica and may well have been sourced from somewhere other than the US market. Somewhere or other they might all look like that. Er, Luis, where was your bike
                            originally purchased?
                            Fred Hill, S'toon.
                            Fred Hill, S'toon
                            XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                            "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Just wanted to introduce myself. Ive looked around the forum as well. I had joined the group on yahoo and now have joined in here. I have recently been GIVEN a 1980 XS1100SG and now trying to get it running. I know that it has sat for a few years, so the first thing I had done is rebuilt the carbs. Now, my issue is the fuel lines. They were old and cracked/broke (and in a box). This is my first project bike and unsure of the fuel line locations. I have tried to see if I could fine a pic in the forum but have been unable, any help would be appreciated. And Im sure I'll have many more questions. Thank you in advance.

Comment

Working...
                              X