New XS1100 Owner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New XS1100 Owner

I have recently baught my first bike, and am now a proad owner of a broke down 1978 Yamaha XS Eleven. I have just begun the restoration project, and will hopefully get it back on the streets in a few months. I baught it for $100, off a guy who had it stored in his shed for the past 12 years. It has a lot of cosmetic damage (rust, etc.), but looked like all the parts were there and in pretty good condition.
    What I realy want feed back on, though, is as I said it is my first bike, and I don't even know how to ride. I have had some expereince on 4-wheelers, which from what I understand are kind of similar but still different ball games. I have been told by a few people that the XS might be to much bike to learn on.
    If any one has some advice or an opinion on this subject or any thing else, for that matter, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks
    Chris Cottrell

Chris:

Welcome to the XS forum.

You raised quite a few issues. The XS11, when new in '78, was the fastest 1/4 mile bike you could buy off the showroom floor. Even today, while not as fast as many newer bikes, the performance still surprises a lot of people. This can be a problem for riders brand-new to motorcycling, as the bike is heavy (nearly 600 pounds) and powerful. Most of us started on smaller bikes (including dirt bikes) and 'moved up' to the 1100. The Motorcycle Safety Foundation, who sponsors new-rider training programs (Highly recommended!) use smaller bikes in their classes, 250cc is typical. Can you learn on an XS11? Yes, but it will be more difficult than learning on a smaller bike, and probably more dangerous as well. My recommendation? Take the MSF classes on the smaller bike while you get the XS in riding shape. Your insurance company will also approve, many offer a lower premium for completing the course.

Riding a bike and riding a 4-wheeler have very little in common, other than both use a handlebar instead of a steering wheel. While using handlebar-mounted controls may be similar, the techniques, feel of the machine, and speeds are radically different. For example, riding a bike at speeds of about 30 MPH and over doesn't require turning the handlebars to make a turn, you change the angle of the bike and it will curl around a curve just as nice as you please. Can't do that on an ATV.

Everyone is different, of course, but in general I would recommend a smaller bike to start out on. Personally I started on dirt bikes, and believe the experience you get riding on dirt is the best training you can get.

Whatever your decision, welcome to the XS forum! Check out the other sections of XS11.com, as there are Tech Tips, Ride Reports, maintenance and repair information, and a lot of stuff to help you get your XS on the road and keep it there.
    Jerry Fields
    '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
    '06 Concours
    My Galleries Page.
    My Blog Page.
    "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

I would also suggest a smaller lighter, less powerful bike to learn on. You could get a nice 450-650cc machine and ride it for a year or so while you restore the XS. These nice beginner bikes (if kept nice) can be sold for about what you paid for them. The MSF course is the best way to start. Good luck!
      Gary Granger
      Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
      2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

Chris-
        First - you have made us all very envious with your hundred dollar deal.
        Second - I believe a cautious person can learn to ride on a XS11 - although they are fast, they are not peaky or high strung.
        BUT - as you resurect this hundred dollar baby, you will encounter all kind of strange maladies that you will have to deal with as you get the bike running better and better. Grabby brakes, erratic running etc, all come with the territory and having a Virgin rider on a Maiden voyage could be problems.
        I agree with 66 - get the MSF course first, buy a running bike for a while and learn to ride while you work on the XS11. You are going to need something to ride anyways, as these things take time. xs650s are nice and you can get to know the same parts guys you will need for the XS11.
        Rocky
        00 Cagiva Gran Canyon
        80 XS11 Special -sold
        77 HD Sportster
        75 Norton Commando

Comment

I rode bikes everyday for years and then took a 25 year hiatus-except for occasionally hopping on friends bikes. I bought a honda 700 and didn't feel comfortable at all on it. Then I bought a xj1100 and realized I had a better bike. I ride it every chance I get. But I can't imagine riding any 1100 as a starter bike. I recommend you find someone with a running 350 or smaller and workout a trade, even if you have to spend a few bucks. Above all get your wallet out and take a motorcycle rider traning course on somebody else's bike. You are gonna be surprised and still alive.
          Please be careful! It ain't easy but definitely fun- knowledge isn't power--Use of knowledge is power! As far as getting a bike going after 12 years, It can be done. Try fixing things before assuming you need to buy parts. Think it out, you found the best place in the world for good people and good advice on bikes in the world- or at least that's how I feel. And I commend you for finding such a bike for $100.00- so you gotta be kinda smart. Keep it between the ditches.
          xjguy and "gone with the wind"

Comment

I apprecieate everyones feedback, I will be sure to take it all into consideratoin.

Thanks again.

Comment

new bike

Chris,I was just saying to Snow that this summer the family was hoping to get down to my bud's house in Panama City.So if I have some spare parts that you might need then email me and let me know.and I can bring them down your way.Maybe I can even lend you hand with any problems that might arise.(or at the very least have a couple cold ones,if you abide)my bud just lives off the 231.Snow was thinking of taking a ride down to P.C. maybe for a get together....Will in the frozen north.

Comment

Hi Chris, I'm gonna be straight up with my reply here, uh no offense, But I figure If you have to ask this question in the first place the answer is obvious. Find a smaller bike to learn on and take the course. I'm an experienced rider and still have to watch what I'm doing on this bike cuz I love the speed and bike goes faaaast, lol, have fun man.

Comment

The XS1100 is a handful of bike to start on. I started on a Honda Trail 50, then a Bridgestone Chibi, then a Trail 70, some 30+ years ago (It hurts to read that). My first street bike was a76 KZ400. Dad was mad when I brought it home in 1978, because I went to his banker. I rode it for 6 months, then went to the Kawa place in town, and asked for more oomph. The Kawa Guy said to take the gas cap off the 400, and slip a 650 underneath. I wound up with a KZ 900, one of the quickest/meanests scoots around. I don't know if Dad knew I traded, the 400 and 900 were similar size, with similar lines, even the same color. I think dad was jealous. My Grandmother told me that he wanted an Indian, she said no, that she would but him a Piper Cub instead, but that's another story. Between then and now I was on a CB750F and a Guzzi LeMans. The 20 year hiatus is over, and the Midnight Special I have now is very special. The point of this missive is that you have to be safe, and start small. Get one in the 250-600 cruiser class to start on, while the xs is being worked on. Be sure to get hooked up with one of the Georgia State Patrol's motorcycle saftey course. While there are accidents from drivers in "cages" being stupid, you don't want to increase your chances by being likewise. no offense intended.
                  '81 XS11 Midnight Special

Comment

Working...
                  X