ABATE Chapter #28 Poker Run

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ABATE Chapter #28 Poker Run

On Fathers Day the Lake County, CA ABATE Chapter is hosting a poker run. My latest band will be playing at the BBQ at the end of the run which will be at the Legion Hall on Gaddy Court in Kelseyville. Would love to see some XSives there.

The rider in the photo is me taken in 1970 on my Matchless 650 twin. Ahh the old days of no helmet laws...

I've figured out how to carry my amp and guitar on Rusty so I'll be riding my bike to this gig.
    Shiny side up,
    650 Mike

XS1100SF "Rusty", runs great, 96k miles
    XS650SJ "The Black Bike", engine from XS650H with 750cc big bore kit, 30k miles

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting, "WOW, what a ride !" - [URL="http://www.flyingsnail.com/Sprung/index.html"]Sprung[/URL]

Hey Mike! I guess that rumors of your death were exaggerated. We thought you'd sailed over the edge into the abyss. Thanks for the info...
    "Time is the greatest teacher; unfortunately, it kills all of its students."

Comment

Hey Mike!! Good to see ya on again!

It's a little far for me.

That would make for an interesting picture though...amp, guitar, and rider.

Hope all is well.
      80 XS1100SG
      81 XS400SH

Some men miss opportunity because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

A Few Animations I've Made

Comment

"And now for Mike's current hit single, 'The Bike Droppin' Blues'"
        "Time is the greatest teacher; unfortunately, it kills all of its students."

Comment

Would they be 'Fender' Amps and guitar?If the are, then just bolt 'em on.

Comment

Originally posted by John
            Would they be 'Fender' Amps and guitar?If the are, then just bolt 'em on.
            Very funny...no, set neck guitar.

What I have done is bungee the amp onto the back seat against the sissy bar and the guitar case flat on the luggage rack. Tried this with 2 guitars on the rack and the bike was unstable up to 30 mph or so but ok after that. Almost didn't make it out of my driveway due to an acute angle off camber turn onto a steep downhill street, bars wanted to wag back and forth until up to speed. Later tried it with only one guitar and everything was OK.
            Shiny side up,
            650 Mike

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting, "WOW, what a ride !" - [URL="http://www.flyingsnail.com/Sprung/index.html"]Sprung[/URL]

Comment

Correction

Though the flyer says 9 AM the actual sign up time for the poker run is 8:30am - 10:30am. I suppose most veteran poker runners would know that though...

Really nice scenic roads up here if any of you Norteños want to make it up...after all I rode to Los Baños which is a kind of nowhere destination.
              Shiny side up,
              650 Mike

Comment

Further info

Maybe the prizes will convince a few to make the ride:

To Benefit ABATE 28 And Their Fight For Bikers Rights. High Hand $200 - Low Hand $100 - Bugs Bullseye $50 - Raffle Prizes - Special Prizes - Steak Dinner - Live Music & Dancing. $25.00 / $40.00 Couple. Register between 8:30 am - 10:30 am at Ironhorse Creations 1190 South Main St. Lakeport Calif. 95453. For more info contact bginteriors@earthlink.net or call 707-262-1948
                Shiny side up,
                650 Mike

Comment

Poker Run Pics

A few shots from the poker run which my friend Curtiss posted on his Sprung website: http://www.flyingsnail.com/Sprung/ab...617/index.html Rode the run with Curtiss on his Softail Springer and Kawi Tom on his Vulcan 1500. I'm the guitar player in the red shirt with one of Uncle Spot's XS Eleven caps. Jim Williams (the guitar player in the Hawaiian shirt) won the 2 for 1 raffle and took home an extra $150.

This was one of the most fun poker runs I've ever done. Nearly all mountain roads. The part that wasn't mountain roads I led my friends on a route over some scenic backroads.

The founder of ABATE (American Brotherhood Aimed Towards Education) spoke at the BBQ and was really inspiring. Made me feel guilty about not joining up on the spot. This is not just about helmet laws folks, it's about our right to ride at all.
                  Shiny side up,
                  650 Mike

Comment

Doubt I can make it. Just got a 30 day notice from our landlord out-of-the-blue. Gotta find a new home!
                    Helment law? Gotta post a link to a local biker hero who has battled the helment law for years. He wears a baseball cap with a DOT sticker on the back.
                    In Cantafordyah, you can invoke the name of Richard Quigly and the cops will either let you go, or you will get off if it goes to court
                    I'll post more info if anyone is interested.
                    E.Liberty
                    Old bikers never die, they're just out of sight!

My recently re-built, hopped up '79 Special caught fire and burned everything from the top of the engine up: gas tank, wiring, seat, & melted my windshield all over the front of the bike. Just bought a 1980 Special that has been non oped for 9 years. My Skoot will rise from the ashes and be re named "The Phoenix!"
                    I've been riding since 1959.

Comment

Working...
                    X