Night runs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Night runs

In the 60's. Blustery, windy, deserted freeways. There is a cool front coming in, and the city's smells have faded in lieu of the smell of fresh air, and changing weather.

The sound of The Dragon alone on the road. Howling along in ecstasy. Is that me or the machine? Hmmm. We are one again.

The warmth blowing back from the engine, a single streetlight up ahead. Gheeze . . . is that really my speed?!

Had to come into work tonight. Covering for a colleague that is on vacation.

Almost worth it just for the night run. Gawd I love to ride!

And I get to do it again in just a bit . . .
    CUAgain,
    Daniel Meyer
    Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
    Find out why...It's About the Ride.

I leave home about 6:40 AM, and the morning light is still an hour or so away. Come down the canyon where the posted speed limit is 40 MPH, but I do about 50 -55 as I roll along.

I live at a higher elevation than the city, and take a rim road to bypass most of the town. I can look down on the lights of the shops and cars from my vantage point, almost 500 feet above. Across the valley the morning light is beginning to brush the tops of the trees

Then I turn to go downhill and join the web of roads that will take me to work. Temp around 30 deg F, morning light red against the eastern horizon.

I get into town, through the 2 stop lights that regulate my path to work, and pull up to a parking spot. Off the bike, get it on the center stand, and pull off the helmet and gloves. Must go in and start the daily routine of computers and database administration, but I pause for a few minutes, letting the senses finish digesting the morning ride before I turn into computer-man.

Good morning, and have a nice day.
    Jerry Fields
    '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
    '06 Concours
    My Galleries Page.
    My Blog Page.
    "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Working...
    X