Don't do this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't do this

Hey everyone. I just thought I would pop in and see what is going on. Actually I wanted to post some advice about outrunning your local afternoon thunderstorm. DONT DO IT! It was getting cloudy up in Denton today (north about 35 miles) and I called my Dad to check the weather for me. He said "Its going to rain for hours and not let up" Well, to me that means punch through because it would be dark before it stopped raining. Off I went. I made it withinn 5 miles of home and it started hailing. No damage, just pain. Luckily I stopped by a friends house for shelter. Along with warm dry cloths they turned on the weather channel for me. Guess what? 35W, the road home, was paralleling the worst of the storm. If in fact I would have waited 30 min I would be in free and clear. In stead I spent 40 min in sold waves of water competely soaked. When I got off the freeway and stopped at a light, the water rushed out of my pants as I put my legs down. I was more than soaked. It was like breathing under water. Well, I leaned two very important lessons:
    #1 Never, EVER EVER EVER trust my Dad for accurate weather descriptions over the phone
    #2 DO not try to out run a storm on a motorcycle even if you can see the end (It was traveling pretty fast)
    United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
    If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
    "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
    "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
    Acta Non Verba

Since your all wet

One of your first duties aboard ship as the newbee will be to stand lookout watch on the bow.
    Very important post. Lookouts job is to notify the bridge of any navigational hazards that may not appear on radar.
    Bow?,.... Yup, up on the front of the boat

mro
    happy sailing

Comment

Caught in the rain

Hi Hobbyman,
      you can choose to not go out in the rain, but what can you do if you are on the way home? Coming home from Alberta, Stop to fill up in Rosetown, 115km from Saskatoon.
      There's a big ol' stormcloud ahead. Lucky me, I pass it to the right. 95km from home, there's another, lucky again, I pass it to the left. 80km to go and here's the mother of all navy blue stormclouds squatting right in the middle of the highway and that bastard dumps on me all the way to my doorstep. Splat splat splat as the raindrops hit my visor but I can squint round them. Until the visor starts to fog up. Click the visor open so I can see underneath it's edge. Splat splat splat as the raindrops hit my glasses but I can squint round them too. Until my glasses start to fog up. Pull my glasses down my nose so I can kinda see below the visor and above my glasses and squint my eyes nearly closed to avoid the raindrops. Drive home the last 50km at 45mph on the hard shoulder.
      Fred Hill, S'toon.
      Fred Hill, S'toon
      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

so I can kinda see

Does rain-X work on visors, or help w/foging?

mro

Comment

Stay the hell off I35 in the afternoon. That road is crazy.
          Last edited by oseaghdha; 05-25-2007, 04:31 AM.
          XS1100SF
          XS1100F

Comment

Re: so I can kinda see

Originally posted by mro
            Does rain-X work on visors, or help w/foging?

mro
            Rain X works very good on plastic or glass. I put it on both sides of my shield and on my Lexan fairing windshield. If you dont have Rain X, spray furniture polish will work almost as good but will not last as long.
            When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

As long as I am moving, I don't have to worry about fog. My helmet was designed to let air flow from the bottom of the visor up to the top without bothering me at all. It defogs instantly.
              United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
              If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
              "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
              "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
              Acta Non Verba

Comment

Hey Andrew,

You need to be more ingenious! Glad you made it thru the hail safely!! XS East 2003 IIRC, Brent and I were riding back from Grand Canyon, PA., got to northern Virginia. I had gotten a little pathetic (Hunter's) rain suit from WallyWorld that the pants had shredded on the ride up to PA! Fortunately the jacket top had survived.

We came upon some very strong T-storms on the way home, and pulled up to this little gas/store so Brent could donn his nice Rainsuit. I had no rainpants?? What to do?? AHA....I have DUCT Tape! Went into the store and asked for 4-5 heavy duty garbage bags. I put one bag around each leg, used one for the pants/shorts portion, and 2 more for my boots, all secured with generous amounts of Duct tape. Made it home over 200 miles nice and dry!

You know what they say about Mothers and Inventions!
                T.C.
                T. C. Gresham
                81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                History shows again and again,
                How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
                X