Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Funny Harley Story

I think I told this in another thread but I gotta share it in this one too:

Last year my wife and I went to lunch at a local establishment. She was looking out the window at three Harley's. I had noticed three big tatoo'd brutes dismounted the obnoxiously loud twins but she had not noticed the riders.

All three bikes had those silly tassles hanging out the bar ends. She perked up and said "Oh oh look!!! Those bikes must belong ladies!!! We used to put those on our bicycles when we were little girls!!!"

Comment

Tassles

I say pretty much the same thing about them. I say those are cute. My little girls have them on their bikes also.

Comment

Saw a guy riding on a xj 1100 today at a gas station. I parked next to him and said hi and told him I had stopped to check out his bike. I was very dissapointed when he replied "What, this old piece of crap." and said something about not being able to afford a Harley yet. The guy actually seemed ashamed. It wasn't the prettiest xj I have seen but really wasn't that bad. After I told him I ride one, he was a little better and spoke a little better about the bike. With that kinda attitude he probably should save up and buy a harley.
        Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
        '82 XJ1100
        '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfoot
          Saw a guy riding on a xj 1100 today at a gas station. I parked next to him and said hi and told him I had stopped to check out his bike. I was very dissapointed when he replied "What, this old piece of crap." and said something about not being able to afford a Harley yet. The guy actually seemed ashamed.
          That's the point where you offer him $200 for the bike to start his "Harley fund."

These bikes are almost a well kept secret. Only those who know really know what they're worth. Went for a ride a couple of months ago with the Region 6 folks at sport-touring.net. The leader of the meet and greet was impressed to see a running XS11. Got to know a BMW R1100S rider who was happy to see another shaft drive. Not a Harley to be seen on that ride!
          1981 XS1100SH

Comment

I've reprinted excerpts from this thread here:
            http://www.sport-touring.net/forums/...c,11743.0.html
            I believe the same phenomenon is occuring.
            1981 XS1100SH

Comment

I get respect....

I go to "Harley Country" regularly, place out here called Cooks Corner. A sign over the door clearly says Harley Country. There is so much chrome in the parking lot on weekends you can see the reflection from space and I park right in the midst of all that

and I always get compliments. Lots of those Hardly guys will say things like "Wow, I remember those", probably because they only have to be beat once by the old girl to insure the memory, or they say other nice things about Pathfinder. I have to admit that to own one of those Hardly things a guy's gotta have lots of expendable cash, so I have to concede that I couldn't, and wouldn't have one myself. I haven't heard one badmouth reply or comment from any of them. But then after a little while there listening to the noise, I can't hear much anyway. LOL
              You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
              Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
              Drilled airbox
              Tkat fork brace
              Hardly mufflers
              late model carbs
              Newer style fuses
              Oil pressure guage
              Custom security system
              Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

Wider shot

Here's a wider shot of the South parking area at Cooks.
                You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

Drilled airbox
                Tkat fork brace
                Hardly mufflers
                late model carbs
                Newer style fuses
                Oil pressure guage
                Custom security system

Comment

"Was that 'Cook's Corner'... or 'Kook's Corner'?"

to own one of those Hardly things a guy's gotta have lots of expendable cash,
                  Au contraire...
                  After a while, the dolts realize that they don't really have the expendable cash to squander on something that really isn't enjoyable to own(ride) in the first place.
                  One only needs to look at all the newer harleys for sale in the classified ads.
                  "Used bikes for sale"
                  Considering there's four Jap brands and harley... harleys should represent 1/5th of the bikes for sale, yet often the ads show that harley's make up 50% of the brand listed that people want to get rid of.
                  "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

It's different here...

I figure anyone that can aford to live here in Cantaffordya, has enough money to buy those Hardleys and then put thousands more into loud exhausts and chrome. I have also found out that they are really hardcore Hardley guys and wouldn't dream of owning anything else while admitting to all of the things we say, like unreliable, not fast, don't turn well, don't stop well, etc. They spend days polishing so they can ride five miles to Cooks Corner and be a weekend Hardley guy. Makes you wonder!!!!!!!!!

Drilled airbox
                    Tkat fork brace
                    Hardly mufflers
                    late model carbs
                    Newer style fuses
                    Oil pressure guage
                    Custom security system

Comment

Re: "Was that 'Cook's Corner'... or 'Kook's Corner'?"

Originally posted by prometheus578

One only needs to look at all the newer harleys for sale in the classified ads.
                      "Used bikes for sale"
                      Considering there's four Jap brands and harley... harleys should represent 1/5th of the bikes for sale, yet often the ads show that harley's make up 50% of the brand listed that people want to get rid of.
                      I think that's more a statement of a segment of the Harley customer base. I think the reason you see so many low mileage new harleys in the classifieds and craigslist is because they were bought by RUBs who bought them as a mid-life crisis statement and have been pestered enough by their SWMBOs to get that damn thing out of the driveway if they're not really going to ride it.

But if you can say one thing about them, at least they keep a lot of their resale value.
                      1981 XS1100SH

Comment

The bro-in-law, aka, Warrior Boy bailed his Yamaha Warrior and bought a used HD, I'm thinkin its a '06 with the usual low miles these trailer/garage queens get. Nice looking anniversary edition. He has had it about 4 months. To date, $480 starter, $300 for a drive belt and now he is having electrical woes and the local dealer is throwing parts at it trying to fix it. He says "this is just normal stuff that breaks on a bike". I look at him with one eye closed and retort " are you sure?". "I am on the same starter that came with the bike and the only thing I have done to the drive shaft is change the oil and lube the splines and I am pushin 68k". He replies "the japs make 'em different". "Thank God" I reply as I hand him another beer.

Fortunatly, he does not have the hard core HD attitude. He rides one cause he like the cool factor it gives him, in his own mind anyway. Like I tell everyone that asks why I don't ride/want a HD, "Harley does not offer the performance envelope I require of motorcycling".

HD's have ther place, just not in my garage.
                        When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

Check this out

XS1100SF
                          XS1100F

Comment

Holy crap! What a crock. Imagine a world where people cheat to RACK UP the mileage. What happend to the good old days when we were hooking our drills up in reverse to TAKE OFF the mileage!

(OK..my wife calles them my "little Tassles" but I like em d@mnit! )
                            Last edited by jimboreeno; 07-17-2007, 10:50 PM.
                            JimBoReeno
                            My Ex!"Half-Breed"
                            '82 XJ1100 Maxim with
                            '80 XS1100SG Motor

Current Bike
                            2000 Indian Chief
                            Millennium Edition

Comment

Re: Check It Out

It isn't very often that I have to pick my jaw up off the floor from reading this forum.

This is one of those times.

You have got to be f^#@% kidding?????

I know I didn't spend all that time rebuilding my bike to watch it bounce on the ass end of a trailer!!!

Eric
                              Eric Roellig
                              1980 SG w Windjammer V & KG hard bags
                              **Very first bike**
                              Current condition: Running!!! Lead, follow or get the #^%# out of my way!!!!!!

Comment

THANK YOU!

Man! I saw that ad some time ago but I haven't been able to find it since then.... told some friends about it and they couldn't believe there actually was something like that... WHAT A JOKE!!!
                                81 SH Something Special
                                81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
                                81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
                                80 LG Black Magic
                                78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
                                For those on FB

Comment

Working...
                                X