helment storage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• helment storage

I was out and about today and noticed a cycle that the rider had placed his/her helment on the ground next to the bike. I have noticed that a lot of sport bike riders pratice this method. Does anyone know the theory or meaning behind it. I personally either hang my helment over my jm audio unit on the handlebar or put it in my tour box and lock it up. In the winter I usually take it in so it stays warm. I can understand using a helment hook for security, or on the handlebar but the ground just eludes me. Why would you put your helment something that is so intimately acquainted with ones face on the filthy ground. The bugs, dirt and filth just sound unappealling. Maybe its so it won't fall off and scratch up the helment. Any idears or practicors of this method?

Hi kf4anm,
    Well here in Ontario placing ones helmet on the ground beside the travelled part of the road is a call for help.
    Maxim Phil
    1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
    1983 XJ 650 Maxim
    2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Sport bike riders tend to be a prissy bunch. Don't want anything scratching their bike, etc.
      Plus, as you mentioned, helmet can't roll offa the seat if it's already on the ground.
      hangin' it on the hooks on the bike... brings the helmet in contact with the rear spring, etc, scratching the helmet.
      Guess that's how one side of my helmet is all messed up. (that, and from all the times I've had the bike running, and the helmet vibrates offa the seat.)
      "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

and the helmet vibrates offa the seat.
        Or when you feel sorry for Mary and lay it down so she won't feel so bad.... lol

Tod
        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
        '06 Suzuki DR650
        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
        '81 XS1100 Special
        '81 YZ250
        '80 XS850 Special
        '80 XR100
        *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Without bothering with the helmet hook (which can be a PITA to get my Shoei on) or finding somewhere else to hang it, the ground is probably the safest place. Like Pro said, it can't fall on the ground if it's already there. Bare asphalt with no oil spots is also relatively clean. If you're just hanging out for a chat and put it close to your bike you generally don't have to worry about someone tripping over it or otherwise messing with it, though that's very unlikely.

I usually hang mine off the rear fender license plate assembly. Saw that in a picture on this site. But I've also carefully placed it on the ground next to the bike when I was in a hurry.
          1981 XS1100SH

Comment

"Touche' "

Good memory there, TRBIG.
            I shouldn't admit this, but I still haven't fixed it yet. Nine months.
            No time, and garage to crowded to move around in.
            "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Up until last week I was draping it over the mirror. Not a good practice on a windy day. I now have a nice scatch at the top of the visor. Guess I'm lucky it's not more. Now I am latching the strap and hanging it from the rear Turn Signal Support. I have visions of someone walking close to the bike and giving it a kick accidentally.
              Papa Gino

79 and something XS 1100 Special "Battle Cruiser"
              78 XT 500 "Old Shaky"
              02 Kawasaki Concours "Connie"

Comment

Down here in the desert, if you leave it on the ground you're likely to get a stinging or biting friend living in your helmet when you pick it up. I'm a new rider, so I don't have a habit yet. Has anyone ever had their helmet stolen because it wasn't locked up?
                78 xs1100E standard

Comment

Yes,

Someone actually CUT my helmet strap and took it from the bike. That was over 20 yrs ago, and I have never since left my helmet locked on the bike after dark.

Comment

A helmet without a strap is like a toilet without a handle if you know what I'm sayin... Hope he got use out of it... NOT!!!!
                    Papa Gino

79 and something XS 1100 Special "Battle Cruiser"
                    78 XT 500 "Old Shaky"
                    02 Kawasaki Concours "Connie"

Comment

I leave my helmit on the ground, usually in the shade generated by the bike itself. It gets hot here, in the midwest.

In the winter it goes onto the handlebars.
                      I've been in more than one Hemisphere, and I wrote a book to help you do it too (or just prepare better for that week long road trip). Going Small, not just for the little guys.

Comment

I never leave it on the handle bars. MY helmet has enough scratces in it. At the MSF class they said that as soon as it hits the ground once you should throw it away. I either lock it up, take it with me, or place it over the rear tail light. It fits nice and snug. If I am just going across the parking lot or something, I don't have to move it if it is locked or on the tail light.
                        United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
                        If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
                        "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
                        "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
                        Acta Non Verba

Comment

My helmet fell off my mirror for the first time last weekend. I also. remember that comment in the MSF class. I can't imagine much damage beyond the few scratches and am wondering why the MSF people would say to toss it after a single fall to the ground.

I do generally use the lock on the side.
                          80 SG
                          81 SH in parts
                          99 ST1100
                          91 ST1100

Comment

The shock supposedly speeds up the deterioration process of the foam inside the helmet. It may be ok right after it falls but in a few years the properties of the foam will be changed significantly
                            United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
                            If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
                            "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
                            "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
                            Acta Non Verba

Comment

At the MSF class they said that as soon as it hits the ground once you should throw it away.
                              I would have to take that as once it hits the ground... while your HEAD is still in it! lol. My helmet takes a worse beating sitting on my head riding around on some of these roads than it would from a two foot drop to the ground! lol.

At home, it sits on my left handlebar grip where it doesn't touch anything (Bike leans), but at the store, it goes in with me and rides around in the shopping kart. When it's colder, I wear a smock that covers my neck and the lower part of my face (Much improvement that way) and am bundled up with gloves and dark glasses. I like to walk into stores and not take my helmet or anything off. It's great to look at the stares... people just KNOW they're about to get robbed! hee hee..

Tod
                              Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                              '06 Suzuki DR650
                              *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                              '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                              '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                              '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                              '81 XS1100 Special
                              '81 YZ250
                              '80 XS850 Special
                              '80 XR100
                              *Crashed/Totalled, still own