Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question for all you hardcore road runners out there.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You know hobbyman, you might as well do an Ironbutt ride while on a roadtrip. Just pick your landing spot and go. I thought about it real hard for a while, SWMBO says NO...I am still thinking about it... ..just don't tell on me!!
    Check this out!
    JimBoReeno
    My Ex!"Half-Breed"
    '82 XJ1100 Maxim with
    '80 XS1100SG Motor

Current Bike
    2000 Indian Chief
    Millennium Edition

Comment

Did my 1,000 miles in 18 hours.
      Screaming down the highway at 85/90 mph at night in the pouring rain hardly makes for an enjoyable, nor safe, trip.
      "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

This place must be getting to me...
        Had a dream,
        was talking to DragonRider about this thread and he said that the pic below Prom posted was gust the left overs from a snack he had on a long haul BBQ run...

mro

Comment

LOL ROFL LMAO

Hey Todd!

I resemble that remark!

I really try to get rid of junk I don't need on the trip, but SWMBO comes anyway ;o)

I'm just kidding. I have even more fun when she comes with! Wink, Wink, nodd, nodd, get my drift?

If I didn't have to carry so many tools and spare parts, I could probably lighten my load.

Aw screw it, I'll just get that FJR and be done with it!

Here is what Todd is talking about...

greg
          Gone but never Forgotten:
          1980 XS11SG - "Scorpion"

Current:
          2006 Yamaha FJR1300A - "Orion"
          2007 Honda CBR600RR - "Twitch"

"Life is not a journey to the grave, with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid on broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming:

WOW - What a ride!

Comment

Originally posted by HobbyMan
            How many miles should I expect to ride every day to not fatigue myself? Keep in mind that I usually cruise 75 - 80 weather and traffic permitting. (yes there are places with an 80mph limit) [/I]
            how far you can go in a day is really a matter of personal preference. I have ridden 1k in a day, when I was in a rush, but find that 400-500 miles leaves me fresh for the next day.

Now, if I am putting along, taking longer breaks and pictures, as well as talking to the locals (You can meet the coolest people if you get far enough from the interstates), then I am usually only in the 300s, maybe 400 miles tops.

Once you spend a few days on the road, you get a better sence of how far you can comfortably go.

There is also This site, while you might not do a Saddlesore during the trip, that does not invalidate most of the tips. And good info too.
            I've been in more than one Hemisphere, and I wrote a book to help you do it too (or just prepare better for that week long road trip). Going Small, not just for the little guys.

Comment

Re: LOL ROFL LMAO

Originally posted by skippy344

If I didn't have to carry so many tools and spare parts, I could probably lighten my load.
              Aw screw it, I'll just get that FJR and be done with it!

Ok, quit talkin about it and get the FJR already. As for all the spares and tools, who uses them the most? I guess I have been lucky, spare fuses, wire, plugs, duct tape and haven't had to dig into them yet. But I do seem to use up all the oil I bring along. (quick, wheres my Weisco catalog)

greg
              :
              When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

AMA members

get a discount at KOA campgrounds. Hmmmmm sounds like we need a poll...
                You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
                Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
                Drilled airbox
                Tkat fork brace
                Hardly mufflers
                late model carbs
                Newer style fuses
                Oil pressure guage
                Custom security system
                Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

Skippy, do I have to give you lessons on how to pack a bike?
                  "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Heavy Burden

But what you don't see Prom, is that he always packs a passenger on his trips, so he's gotta leave room somewhere.

Comment

he always packs a passenger on his trips
                      Because, unlike SOME people on here.... Skippy is a pretty likeable guy, and people like to ride with him. Actually... his wife is pretty likeable, but we let him tag along too 'cause he does the drivin'! lol

Tod
                      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                      '06 Suzuki DR650
                      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                      '81 XS1100 Special
                      '81 YZ250
                      '80 XS850 Special
                      '80 XR100
                      *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Nemaste, Pro...

I can learn from a master! That is some serious packin', Pro! You Da Man!

Yep, SWMBO loves to ride. I'm sure the company we keep doesn't hurt either. The TeXSives are awesome!

You are funny man, Todd. very funny.

I look forward to seeing you and maybe your SWMBO in June.

greg
                        Gone but never Forgotten:
                        1980 XS11SG - "Scorpion"

Current:
                        2006 Yamaha FJR1300A - "Orion"
                        2007 Honda CBR600RR - "Twitch"

"Life is not a journey to the grave, with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid on broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming:

WOW - What a ride!

Comment

Did you all see my bike all packed up? Take off Pro's tail trunk and thats how I do it. I use a backpack over my sleeping bag to take place of the tail trunk. The best thing on a long ride is that sleeping bag as a nice comfortable back rest.
                          United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
                          If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
                          "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
                          "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
                          Acta Non Verba

Comment

I had some scrap metal laying around, and built this little rack a couple days ago so I can carry a bit more on my trip with Hobbyman next week. It looks uglier in person, but it's pretty stout. It attaches to the bolt that goes through the grab bar rail and into the back fender, and to the top bolts of the sissy bar. I am thinking of running one more bar from the front of the frame to the bottom brace for extra support... but it will work for now. It will only go on when I need it. For most instances, the saddle bags and the back seat are plenty... but I think Hobbyman and I will be a doing a little self-sufficient camping. Extra room for Coleman stove, tent, etc.

Tod
                            Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                            '06 Suzuki DR650
                            *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                            '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                            '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                            '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                            '81 XS1100 Special
                            '81 YZ250
                            '80 XS850 Special
                            '80 XR100
                            *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

actually its not too bad. I though about building a quick detachable mount to look like that but plans never materialized.
                              United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
                              If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
                              "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
                              "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
                              Acta Non Verba

Comment

Did you guys ever decide what route you're taking? Would love to meet up with you if you are passing through the Kansas City area.
                                Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
                                '82 XJ1100
                                '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

Working...
                                X