winter projects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• winter projects

Looks like new guy at work(rides a 81 virago] is going to give me a cb350 and local pilot is going to sell me 2 cb350's for a total of $50.00. Think i got a chance of 1 good one?

I had a CB350 for a few years in the early '90s, complete with MAC exhaust system. One thing comes to mind...stock rear shocks were pretty bad, even when new. You should plan on replacing the shocks, as I doubt if any of the 3 bikes you are getting will have decent ones on them. Other than that it was an OK bike, nothing outstanding. Good bike for commuting and utilitarian use.

Like many old bikes, the engine may be sound but everything else will need work. I found it best to plan on spending $500.00 for any bike to put it in reliable working order. Price includes:

Both tires
    Chain and both sprockets
    Air Filter
    Brake pads/shoes, front and rear
    Brake hoses
    Change of fluids (oil, brake)
    Registration
    Battery
    Duplicate ignition keys
    Misc parts, like fuses, lights, cable lube, carb cleaner
    Shop manual
    Spark plugs

You may also need carb parts, but with 3 bikes you should find enough usable pats to make up a full set.

Two other areas to look at: Swing arm bushings and front brake calipers. You may need to get new bushings installed and rebuild a front brake caliper.

On the other hand, you may get lucky and have enough parts/pieces, or a bike that is in goos shape to start with, and get one of the 350s on the road with minimal expense. Let us know what you end up with.
    Jerry Fields
    '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
    '06 Concours
    My Galleries Page.
    My Blog Page.
    "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Working...
    X