Motorcycle Books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motorcycle Books

I just finished Proficient Motorcycling by David Hough. It was excellent. Right now, I'm reading Ghost Rider: Tales of the Healing Road by Neil Peart. It's very good. When I was getting into motorcycling my friend gave me several books to read. My favorites are the ride stories (my favorite section of this site is the ride reports which sadly is updated too infrequently). What are some of your favorite motorcycling books? Fiction, non-fiction, technical, it's all good.

Heh, I just realized that Daniel Meyer is bound to reply to this thread and ask why I haven't bought his books yet. The friend I mentioned before has them and I'll end up borrowing them from him.
    Last edited by malber; 05-10-2007, 08:40 PM.
    1981 XS1100SH

Heh...

Eyep...

Ahem...

BTW this one is the first 4 in one massive volume

and this one will be out in late summer

Just 'sayin...
    CUAgain,
    Daniel Meyer
    Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
    Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

Re: Motorcycle Books

Originally posted by malber
      .... Ghost Rider: Tales of the Healing Road by Neil Peart.
      isn't Neil the drummer for Rush?
      Originally posted by malber
      .... realized that Daniel Meyer is bound to reply to this thread and ask why I haven't bought his books yet.
      I've yet to purchase any of his books yet but after reading several of his excerpts (especially the Alaska ride), I can honestly say that there is no other Author I'd want to read. He has found a way to put the primal force surrounding man and motorcycle to paper. Almost wish I could get his books in mp3 format so I could 'read' while riding

Comment

Re: Re: Motorcycle Books

Originally posted by Brian_D
        isn't Neil the drummer for Rush?
        Yes, the drummer. After his daughter and wife died he went on a 55,000 mile ride. He went from the Yukon Territory, through Alaska, and down to Belize. The book chronicles his trip and overcoming his grief.
        1981 XS1100SH

Comment

I read Neal Peart's Masked Rider book about (human-powered) biking across Africa. An interesting read, but a little droll. There's a small uproar about some of the things he says about fans in this new book....

I wish I had time to read more. I'm building up a significant stack of books to complete. Yours are in that list somewhere, Dan.

I have a bad habit of forgetting about things like food and work when I get into a good book. I have to read moderately.

Next is Hunters of Dune. I estimate that one will last around 15 hours and I'm likely to read it all in one sitting. Brian Herbert has done a fine job of taking over when his father died.

If you like Sci-fi, I highly recommend all the books of the Dune series. Damn fine reading.
          80 XS1100SG
          81 XS400SH

Some men miss opportunity because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

A Few Animations I've Made

Comment

Daniel Meyer is a good read.
            First time was the squirrel story.
            Currently spend too much time on 'puter....
            Do read more than most, own two TV's which have not been plugged in several years.

Like SCI FI, sorta counter balances all the other stuff I read.

mro

Comment

awesome books

I have been reading Dan's stories for as long as I can remember being a member of the XS11 group. Back when the yahoo group was busy .... I believe that was when I was introduced......... It has been a long time. When everything transferred over to here the site became better. So, I couldn't tell you exactly how long I have been a Daniel Meyer fan.....

But my suggestion is buy them, read them, share them by reading them to your children. My girls love listening to me read his stories to them...... They are huge Dan fans! The kitten story is their favorite..... Not just because of the kitten but also they thought it was very cool of the military guys helping out a perfect stranger. And..... Dan tells the story so well. It will make you feel that you were right there too. The nice lady with the sandwiches... the policeman who seemed out of place.... Imagine 2000 plus people hangin out in a rest area walking bent over saying here kitty kitty.

We were all there with him!

Great job on all Dan ........ They love the new book. Thank you,

Mark
              Mark A. Guthrie TSgt USAF (ret)
              S&M Comp. Serv. Inc. V.P.
              1981 XS11SH XCaliber

Comment

i like ted simon's books, but know they aren't for everyone. Also Ayres (?) books on rallies and LD riding, if you are interested in that sort of thing.
                I've been in more than one Hemisphere, and I wrote a book to help you do it too (or just prepare better for that week long road trip). Going Small, not just for the little guys.

Comment

An old book but worth the read and not just for racing is
                  "A Twist of the Wrist" by Keith Code
                  Pat Kelly
                  <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                  1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                  2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                  1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                  1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                  1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Not about MC's

Don't normally recommend anything I read but one that comes to mind

Robert William Service (January 16, 1874 – September 11, 1958) was a Scottish-born Canadian poet and writer. He is most well known for his writings on the Canadian north, including the poems "The Shooting of Dan McGrew" and "The Cremation of Sam McGee".

Very entertaining

mro

Comment

Working...
                    X