Still gonna ride...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Still gonna ride...

As I said once before, I'm going for a ride starting June 1 at least through the 4th. I'm still looking for a trip through Yosemite to the eastern side or maybe from the east to the west. I will be going through the central CA area and maybe get to meet some fellow XSives in the area? No plans set in stone, just the dates and the area. Anyone wanna go along?
    You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
    Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
    Drilled airbox
    Tkat fork brace
    Hardly mufflers
    late model carbs
    Newer style fuses
    Oil pressure guage
    Custom security system
    Stainless braid brake lines

The 4th of june or july ?
    Madbiker

Comment

If you are going in late may of early june my Dad and I would be able to catch up to you. We have a very limited time schedual so we are going to drive 3/4 of the way up there and ride to Yosemite for a few days. Then we will go back the first 1/4 and trailer the rest. I wanted to ride all of the way but when we trailer we can drive 24 hrs. non stop he sleeps while I drive and then I sleep while he drives. If you switch out every 3 or so hours it works very well. I have to report to the Academy the 5th of July so I will be preparing for a few days before hand.
      United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
      If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
      "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
      "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
      Acta Non Verba

Comment

Hobby Man, I may have missed a thread or two, which Academy?
        Papa Gino

79 and something XS 1100 Special "Battle Cruiser"
        78 XT 500 "Old Shaky"
        02 Kawasaki Concours "Connie"

Comment

Schedule...

Hobbyman,
          My schedule is limited also. I don't get to take many days off work so it's a Fri through Mon (June 1 through June 4) Since you're gonna check in at school on June 5 you will probably be a little ahead of me. I'll PM you with my cell # so you can call when in the area and see if we are close. Looks like Scott will be going with me too.
          You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

Drilled airbox
          Tkat fork brace
          Hardly mufflers
          late model carbs
          Newer style fuses
          Oil pressure guage
          Custom security system

Comment

Originally posted by BLUEJEEPLAB
            Hobby Man, I may have missed a thread or two, which Academy?
            He's been selected to attend the US Merchant Marine Academy. He leaves in July.

Comment

I have to report the 5th of July and there is going to be a lot of Independance Day flight travelers. That means that I might be there a little earlier. There are several events going on before I go and lots of work to do. My stuff needs to be packed up and I am helping my Dad with our family reunion. Recently, I have been rebuilding the fence at my sister's house. It all custom work. THis ride is going to be my last major one before I go to school.
              Last edited by HobbyMan; 05-11-2007, 01:46 PM.
              Acta Non Verba

Comment

Rich, do you have a general route in mind? Are you going up the coast and over, or up 5/99? There should be some way for a couple of XSives to get together for a beverage or a meal over the course of your trek.

I've promoted a Golden Valley ride before (Pacific Coast Hwy 1- 152/140 through Yosemite- 395 along the back of the Sierras) with people joining and peeling off as they neared their homes, but nothing ever came of it. I've done the Fresno-Monterey-Morro Bay-Fresno run in a day of not-too-hard running (438 miles).

Anyway, give us an idea about your path and maybe others will chime in on it...
                "Time is the greatest teacher; unfortunately, it kills all of its students."

Comment

That sounds like a good idea.
                  Acta Non Verba

Comment

No real plans...

I hadn't made any route plans yet in case just such things came up. I would love to meet some XSives on the way and I can plan the trip accordingly. So everyone knows the time frame so let's hear from those along the way. Probably up the coast or somewhere on the western side and back down the eastern side.

Drilled airbox
                    Tkat fork brace
                    Hardly mufflers
                    late model carbs
                    Newer style fuses
                    Oil pressure guage
                    Custom security system

Comment

99 is a crappy motorcycle road...rough pavement in numerous areas, no scenery, and a lot of 18 wheelers. Hwy 1 along the coast can't be beat, except for summer tourists. If no one steps up, I think we coud figure out a rendezvous at Morro Bay for a trip up the PCH.
                      "Time is the greatest teacher; unfortunately, it kills all of its students."

Comment

I know...

I was thinking more like the 5 or 101 to Hayward as I was interested in meeting MRO then east to wherever, eventually crossing the sierra's through Yosemite and down the eastern side. I figure I'll probably be two days on the western side and two days on the eastern side. Plenty of time for side trips etc.

Drilled airbox
                        Tkat fork brace
                        Hardly mufflers
                        late model carbs
                        Newer style fuses
                        Oil pressure guage
                        Custom security system

Comment

5, 101 or 1

It's a real nice ride up PCH.
                          Can head east of 1 at San Gregorieo (hy 84) and stop at Alices resturant, then down and across the bay, or continue a little further up 1 to Half Moon Bay and east on 92 which goes all the way to Hayward.
                          101 ain't bad, much better than 5.

mro

Comment

get away ...

I could maybe make one day or two, Dick .... up as far as the Frisco area, and then I gotta' blast back here ... have a few ob's here to tend to, so can't stay gone too long.

Hobbyman: congrats on your selection to USMM academy. I have a friend whose son who did that. He's found himself an awesome career. Best of success to ya' ...
                            80G Mini-bagger
                            VM33 Smooth bores, Pods, 4/1 Supertrapp, SS brake lines, fork brace

Past XS11s

79F Stone stocker and former daily driver, sold May '10 now converting for N.O. to cafe style
                            79SF eventually dismantled for parts
                            79F Bought almost new in 80, sold for a house
                            79F The Ernie bike sold to a Navy dude summer 08
                            79SF Squared-off Special, Vetter/Bates tour pkg., Mikes XS coils, G rear fender and tail light. Sold June 09

Comment

PCH

Been up and down PCH many times, Alices Resturant too and even have a T-shirt from there, did the Solvang run with E Liberty and Diver Ray too. The reason for the ride on the western side of the sierra's is to visit fellow XSives along the way, otherwise it would be straight through to Yosemite and Reno. There will be a new XS owner with me too. Scott Guy, who bought my '79. He's not a 'puter guy so he's not familiar with this site. Right now we are doing his first gear fix and getting both bikes ready for the trip. Probably gonna do at least 1000 miles.

Drilled airbox
                              Tkat fork brace
                              Hardly mufflers
                              late model carbs
                              Newer style fuses
                              Oil pressure guage
                              Custom security system

Comment

Working...