Do you have and use a manual

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you have and use a manual

Just curious ... how many have a manual for their bike and refer to it when doing routine maintenance, rebuilds or to find answers to problems with their bikes?
    Have one and always refer to it.
    71.17%
    have one but only refer to it sometimes
    26.13%
    don't have one ... don't want one
    0.90%
    what's a manual?
    1.80%
    Last edited by 79XS11F; 04-29-2007, 07:02 PM.
    KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
    1978 XS500E
    1979 XS1100F Restored
    1980 XS1100 SG
    1981 Suzuki GS1100
    1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
    1983 Honda CB900 Custom

You mean my Yamaha bible? Hmmmm.... One vote for "Have it and always refer to it". ESPECIALLY the torques when reassembling.

Tod
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

I have a clymer manual, I use it regularly, to look up specs and stuff...sometimes even when I'm just thinking about working on my bike I will bust it out and look through it for reference. it's a useful tool. have a nice day and ride safe.
      I am the Lorax, I speak for the Trees

'80 XS1100 SG (It's Evil, Wicked, Mean & Nasty)

'79 XS1100 F R (IL Barrachino)

'00 Suzuki Intruder 1400 (La Soccola)

'77 KZ400s (La Putana)

Comment

I have a Cylmer's, a Yamaha manual for the 'E, a Yamaha manual for the XJ, an Australian production that is basically a copy of the Yamaha manual, another Clymer's still in plastic, and Rob Mills' CD. I use just about all of them from time to time.

I've also got a few webpages I wrote a few years back with a bit of stuff about second gear and pick-up coil wires. I don't use them very often, but apparently a few other people do once in a while..
        Ken Talbot

Comment

I'm not sure how you could do without a manual, unless you could scrounge all the specs you need here. I have the Machinery's Handbook from a few years ago. A great reference for torque specs on fasteners and such, but it won't have the torque sequence for an XS11 head! I have the Hayes and Clymer's manuals for my SF, and will pick up a copy of the factory manual when one shows up.
          2010 Kawasaki Z1000
          1979 SF: Millennium Falcon, until this Saturday

Comment

my xs 1100 manual is my god! gadda da vida, with out it i am more lost~~~ then i was before i read it..

Comment

I have two for my 78E. One is a Clyners and the other is a Cycleserv.

I refer to both regularly as they have all the same info but the pics(say a thousand words) are different between the publications so refering to the other one sometimes twigs the missing link.(Me )

Cycleserv is easier to find specs in though. Presume this is the Australian one your talking about Ken.
              1981 XJ550RH
              1978 XS1100E The Wildebeast
              1978 XS1100F X Streem
              1980 XS1100G (with an E motor)(parts bike)
              Jet/Mod Calculator
              Speed/Gearing Calculator

Comment

I use a Clymer's manual. Has served me well for many, many years and has been recently taped back together.

Still, some things you just must learn for your self through trial and error.
                Mike Giroir
                79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

Manuel Labor

That was my name in spanish class I have four or five manuals on a cd-rom, I always read up there and here in the forum before I decide on a course of action.
                  Casey
                  1980 xs1100g "Frankenstein" (Now with a mind of his own!)

"What do you mean I can't park this thing here?"
                  "Shiny side up? I don't have a shiny side."

Comment

Clymers and XS11.com .......... the two best manuals out there.
                    Mark A. Guthrie TSgt USAF (ret)
                    S&M Comp. Serv. Inc. V.P.
                    1981 XS11SH XCaliber

Comment

Yamaha Shop Manual and a compendium of prints from this forum. Like SWMBO says, "Do I gotta draw you a picture?"
                      Papa Gino

79 and something XS 1100 Special "Battle Cruiser"
                      78 XT 500 "Old Shaky"
                      02 Kawasaki Concours "Connie"

Comment

Yamaha shop manual, but even that has errors in it!

Comment

Yamaha factory manual for the XJ.
                          Rockjoc's CDs. (Early verson without Vetter info plus later version)
                          Parts list / exploded parts diagrams from Yamaha parts site, copied doesn to a CD of my own.
                          XJ Owner's Manual.

Most of the time I use the exploded diagrams and parts list from the Yamaha site plus info from this list. However, when I first got the XJ I used the factory manual for all routine maintenance instructions and still use it for that on occasion.
                          Jerry Fields
                          '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                          '06 Concours
                          My Galleries Page.
                          My Blog Page.
                          "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

manuals......

I've got two different factory manuals.
                            One has the pages coming loose, so that one stays in the shop.
                            The others sitting right next to me now along with a clymer.
                            Also have a Haynes (not sure of spelling)

3 of my XSes came with a manual and fourth was a present given to me after I had repaired a local XS .

Ones here are considered "light reading" and ones in shop to refresh my memory which seems to have a problem now and then.

mro

Comment

Bought the manuals on CD and they live on my hardrive. Laptop is always with me in the shop. Get most of the info from them but come here when I'm confused. That happens alot.
                              wingnut
                              81 SH (Daily Ride)
                              81 650XJ (Brother in laws bike, Delivered)
                              81 650XJ Jane Doe (Son's Ride)
                              82 750XJ Project bike (Son in law's future ride)
                              81 XS 400

No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another; and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him.”

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Working...
                              X