CBX vs XS11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CBX vs XS11

Saturday morning , October 26, 2002. Leisurely cruise on my 80g hardbagger with full fairing & lowers. Radio on high. I spy single headlight coming up behind me. Silver, full dress 81CBX blows by me (I was going about 60). Rules of engagement come into play. Roll on a little more speed and catch up. Running about 70 now, CBX boy starts to slow down, I can see him scoping out mirrors. Roll up side by side now. A little head nod from him, and were off! Snicked her down a cog and twisted the "thermostat". CBX pulled me for about 20ft, then XS caught up and passed. Kept pourin on the heat (redline 3rd & 4th). Hit 5th and took the tach up to 7500, (speedo gives it up at 85). CBX drifted futher and futher back. Finally had enough and coasted to the shoulder. CBX boy stopped and we chatted a while. He was "shocked" I had pulled him so bad (so was I). He was not a wimpy rider that gets scared as warp speed increase either, he told me he had it nailed. I told him thats why they call it EXcess 11's. Both bikes stock, not a fish story. He even bought the beers. No slam here to CBX's, there fast, this one was not fast enough. (Do I dare try this on a FZR?)
    When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Hmmm.... a carb sync on a CBX is a pain, but the bikes are bout evenly matched... on paper at least.

Ergo, I'm surprised too...

Maybe a guy I know will give me his 79 CBX for a spin when he gets it in working order.
    PS: He used to own a 78E. Went into racing... still has a Z900 with full racing kit/fairing. Wutta monstah.

LP
    If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
    (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

The CBX was one of those bikes that was actually faster than an XS (after 78) the way I remember it. Very close though. here is a very cool one we saw in NC (OK TN side of Deal's Gap) for the Classic Yamaha Weekend.

Gary Granger
      Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
      2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

XSive vx CBX Stories

I have outran two CBX's in my time. My 79 XS1100 is stock. I have a friend that had an 80 (I think) CBX and I took him in a quarter mile match easily. Had about 4 bike lengths on him at the end. This was a hair raising, nail it from a dead stop, try to keep the front end on the ground kind of run because we were able to burn em hot in the pits. Another was a roll on kind of thing from about 30 as me and another CBX hit a freeway ramp at the same time. I shut it down at about 130 and he was way back at that point.

Comment

the standard xs1100 was a match for the cbx..the xs1.1s was about 5mph quicker and had peak torque @ 4000rpm
          mick
          xs1.1s(x2)
          gsxr1100(1127)
          gsx1100g(x2)
          trophy900
          bonneville750

http://www.tonyfoale.com/

Comment

and you guys in usa have to remember that us bikes were slower(stock) thanks to gerald ford/jimmy carter etc
            mick
            xs1.1s(x2)
            gsxr1100(1127)
            gsx1100g(x2)
            trophy900
            bonneville750

http://www.tonyfoale.com/

Comment

Here's a pict of the '81 CBX
              I remember this bike fondly as it came out when I was in High School. My dads Cycle mag. with an article about this bike was in my notebook practically my entire 10th grade year. I would still like to acquire one someday.

Here is a link to an article with info about this bike.

http://cbx.iperweb.com/cw81-1.html

Ride safe
              [b][size=4][font=times][color=#BD0062]Wayne[/color][/font][/size][/b]
              [b][size=4][font=times][color=#095de5]TeXSive forever[/color][/font][/size][/b]
              The best alarm clock is sunshine on chrome.

Comment

Working...
              X