Foot planting thread as requested

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foot planting thread as requested

I for one plant both...... bike still in first clutch and front brake held nice and tight and watching my mirror for numb-nuts trying to run me over

now if we could make this a poll!!!
    Ask and it shall be done!
    Left foot
    55.81%
    Right foot
    2.33%
    Both feet
    34.88%
    none ooops
    6.98%
    Last edited by John; 04-15-2007, 08:14 PM.
    Mark A. Guthrie TSgt USAF (ret)
    S&M Comp. Serv. Inc. V.P.
    1981 XS11SH XCaliber

"Both feet"

Nothing worse than trying to put your left leg down... and discovering your boot lace came loose and is wrapped around the shift lever. (That's why I always take my feet offa the pegs before I completely stop.)
    "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

I try

to put the left foot down as I stop allowing me to use the rear brake, but sometimes it's necessary to change my mind at the last minute. I usually keep both feet down when stopped though. If waiting for a train or long light and traffic has come to a stop, I go to nuetral and maybe even shut it off.
      You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
      Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
      Drilled airbox
      Tkat fork brace
      Hardly mufflers
      late model carbs
      Newer style fuses
      Oil pressure guage
      Custom security system
      Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

I used to plant both feet much of the time without thinking, until I took the MSF licenced riders' course a couple of years back with SWMBO. Now I only put down my left foot at a stop.

The right foot stays on the rear brake to prevent the bike from rolling while my left hand is occupied with the clutch and my right hand is occupied with the throttle. Bike is also shifted into and left in first gear before coming to a final stop. This is especially effective when you stop on a grade. If you are in the habit of placing both feet down on flat surfaces, you're going to do it on a grade without realizing it. The results from that may not be pretty!

This whole idea of bike control at low speed is a fundamental part of the MSF curriculum. I involves maintaining a small, steady amount of throttle, keeping the clutch right at the sweet spot where it is just barely slipping, then controlling your speed with the rear brake. At first it sounds like a "rubbing your head patting your tummy" exercise, but it really does work. This would make a really great hour or so session when we get a bunch of folks together at a rally.
        Ken Talbot

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Talbot
          I used to plant both feet much of the time without thinking, until I took the MSF licenced riders' course a couple of years back with SWMBO. Now I only put down my left foot at a stop.
          hmmm.... when I took the Experienced Rider's Course they never said a word ( checking my course manual now) .... but it might be because I had the best emergency stop in the class both feet down in first gear and clutch in (of course) on the oldest bike.....
          gotta love them XS11s
          1981 XS11SH XCaliber

Comment

Alternate...

Ok, dale_1..........Was kinda being but what the heck..

I do rev in-between down shifts, seems old habits die hard.....
            Two finger front brake, clutch gooden squeezed. Right foot on the rear, Left goes down. Once everything looks OK, i/e......no crazy stupid a$$ flying into intersection, the old habits strike again. Switch it up, Right goes down, Left goes up for that GOOD second gear quick shift! Man is that light ever going to change!?!? Oh Yea, Finally!
            Even going into a corner a little hotter than I intended I catch myself throwing the knee out! (oh no another thread !!)

Prom.....Better shorten up them laces......Duct tape? Or howbout some velcro? LOL
            "Elvira"
            '80 XS1100LG

Comment

yeah but still

The forum is here for entertainment right? well....... it is entertaining to engage in this topic!

besides I love bein a smart a...... oops

Thanks for a good reason to post my first poll ever!

Even my 10 yr old twins know to never trust anyone in traffic and look in the mirror for that one stupid person wanting to kill you!

I can't wait 'til they get to ride their own!

And nope I won't start another thread based on you bein a smart aleck!
              1981 XS11SH XCaliber

Comment

Wisdom

Ken, Very good desciption.........always lookin' for that sweet spot in so many things in life. Uphill grade stop with eighteen wheeler on your'e tail!!!
                "Elvira"
                '80 XS1100LG

Comment

entertainment

Most definitely! And that's fine, wasn't looking for you too! Yea, guess I was being a little juvenile...huh?
                  Although are you comparing my experience to that of a 10 year old???? Oh well!!
                  Just food for thought.... I have TAUGHT MSF!!!!
                  Let the entertainment begin!
                  "Elvira"
                  '80 XS1100LG

Comment

Oh, Almost forgot........fluff,fluff,fluff.......

Goodnight.

dale_1, No biggie!
                    "Elvira"
                    '80 XS1100LG

Comment

by the way

I was jus playin!

If anyone ever takes anything I say and it hurts their feelings..... I always tell them ... no, I meant it the "other" way!

It's cool I was just having fun and didn't think you were bein mean. Everything I do here, I do while smiling or laughing my a$$ off!

And I just hope everyone teaches their kids to be extremely cautious as they get old enough to drive on the streets....... never can teach em too early(well maybe at 2)

I too someday wish to be an MSF teacher. There ain't no money in it, but I really think that's an important position. I have seen way too many people turn wide across lanes and into oncoming traffic because they know nothing of countersteering or my newest favorite:

I swear this is the truth.
                      Mid twenties young lady buys a hopped up R1 fully loaded.... lays it over sitting at a red light, limps it home and parks it. Now she won't sell it, fix it or ride it. "the wind moved me around too much, especially while riding, that's why I dropped it at the light". "A big truck went by and blew me over". (at a red light in town)
                      not kidding....... maybe I don't wanna be an MSF teacher after all!

That said:

If we all can't be juvenile then too bad huh?
                      oh yeah
                      my turn for some

fluff fluff fluff
                      1981 XS11SH XCaliber

Comment

Once I took a bet that I would not put my feet on the ground while riding. I went 5 miles using the side stand only to stop. Then a quick jolt to the right and kick up the stand. He paid for a tank of gas because I won the bet. Normally I use my left foot. Yes PRO, my boot lace got caught in the peg. I protected the bike when I fell over but I was trapped underneath. I had to rip the shoe lace to get out. It was late at night and there was no one around. That was pretty scary. Alwayse make sure your laces are secure and take your feet off the peg before you stop.
                        United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
                        If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
                        "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
                        "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
                        Acta Non Verba

Comment

I have to go with Prom.

Comment

I have done the boot lace thing, the stopping w/ side stand thing, and the front brake bump to not really stop thing. but usually I put down the left foot, check mirrors and then put down the right. The funniest thing I ever saw at a sop was a guy on a $60K plus chopper, no jacket, no helmet, no gloves and no shirt, looking at a girl on the sidewalk and rear ended a flat bed trailer. He actually started swearing at the guy pulling the trailer. All that money and no brains.
                            Casey
                            1980 xs1100g "Frankenstein" (Now with a mind of his own!)

"What do you mean I can't park this thing here?"
                            "Shiny side up? I don't have a shiny side."

Comment

Left footer solo

Lessee now, these days I just sits there because the sidecar holds the XS11 up. Mind you, I gotta watch that habit riding my BSA 250, even if it only weighs 300 lbs it'll still fall over. Riding that bike, my left foot goes down and my right foot is poised over the gearshift pedal to shift into 1st as the light changes. Those ancient British clutches really hate being pulled in waiting for the light to change because they overheat so you kick it into neutral as you stop. I see no need to have a foot on the rear brake, a person should be able to work the twistgrip and the front brake at the same time.
                              Fred Hill, S'toon.
                              Fred Hill, S'toon
                              XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
                              X