intake carb boots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• intake carb boots

is there any way i can repair leaking intake boots for my 78e???I could realy use some new ones but i cant find any!!! Help help h elp

I have a set on my/our 81 SH that I have wrapped with electrical tape. I wrapped it nice and neat, and it is very difficult to tell without getting right down and looking at them.
    You can use a thermostat housing gasket from an old Ford Pinto 2.3L engine between the boots and the head to assure a good seal there also.
    You can find new ones on ebay anytime. Around $100 for four.

Comment

Partsandmore.com had them for 93$ shipped.Oldbikebarn.com has the for 149$ shipped is witch i paid just because i ordered some other stuff along with them.
      1980 XS1100g

Comment

Hey Joe,

Along with John's idea, others have slathered a nice layer of black RTV on the outside. It's rare for the cracks to go all the way thru, but the part where they mount against the head is where the rubber likes to harden and break down, and that's where they can leak more easily, so like John said, a gasket helps. I used some Permatex #2...the black stuff several years ago, but would use Yamabond now.

I recently found this stuff at Lowes in the plumbing section, it was rubber tape, I used it to enlarge the PVC pipes I used to make velocity stacks for my pod filters so that they would fit onto the PVC, it was slightly smaller than the pod mount. I had used Duct Tape, but it pulled away from the rubber flanges the PVC was mounted into and allowed the filters to slowly slide towards the end of the PVC pipe. They hadn't fallen off yet. Thought I'd give it a try.
        T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
        X