China anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• China anyone?

Why aren't we speaking Chinese? Everything is made there now days. I stopped drinking water a few weeks ago. Don't worry, I am not trying to kill myself. I just started drinking juice. Lots of juice. Some people bring water bottles to school, I bring juice. Apple, cranberry, crangrape, whatever... Anyway, I have been polishing off a .5 gal (or1.89L for you metric folk) bottle about every day now and for the first time I noticed some little black print. "concentrate from China." WTF! Since when is juice labor so expensive that it has to be made in China?
    United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
    If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
    "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
    "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
    Acta Non Verba

http://www.bodytrends.com/articles/w...loss/water.htm
    1993 ZX11D
    1979 CBX
    1973 Z1
    2001 ZX12R

Comment

storebought juice =concentrate(from china) + water
      Acta Non Verba

Comment

Don't be too hasty on that one HobbyMan

While juice is, indeed, good for you (sometimes)... it also contains things that make your body work a little harder to process... fructose... for one...
        Pure water (okay... in our area... bottled water... sometimes)... is better than juice simply because your kidneys have nothing to filter out. Pure water is a cleansing agent for your body... There is no substitute...
        You won't die from only drinking juice... but it just isn't as healthy for you as good ol' H2O...

It's funny that you would mention this... My kids are always saying something along the lines of "Is everything made in China?" then at a birthday party we went to Sunday... this same question was posed by one of the kids when the words Made in Chain were seen printed on the box.

Corporate greed and outsourcing...
        81 SH Something Special
        81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
        81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
        80 LG Black Magic
        78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
        For those on FB

Comment

Corporate greed and outsourcing...

Here in CA CA land...

State, county and city business taxes (not to mention XSive regulatons) have pretty much ended most manufacturing here.

Can also be taxed by school districts, park districts etc etc etc....

Even have to pay an extra "fee" for "emergency services" which the amount is deturmined by number of employees, not if you use any "emergency services".................

Must stop now not enough room on this forum for this topic

mro

Comment

Well, I recently had a Timex watch (all american, right?) that had a tag on it that read 'assembled in Taiwan from American made parts'. Go figure.

I guess the Chinese are doing the jobs Americans don't want to do. Must be tough work assembling watches or making juice concentrate.

Stepping down off of the soap box now.
            Mike Giroir
            79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

"Conversely, though..."

Last week, I had "Chinese food", (which was made here)
              Does this mean that somewhere in Hwang Provence, Hop Sing is sitting in his hut cussin' me out?
              "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

(which was made here)

Before recent shop move had a neighbor that sold wholesale to restaurants. Chinese vegetables imported from china. Have a customer that is in a similar business, sells Chinese imported dry and canned goods to restaurants.

May be Hop Sing is sitting in his hut laughing is a$$ off,
                all the way to the bank........

mro
                btw
                Chinese economy, growing 10% per year.
                US economy ???
                Last edited by mro; 04-05-2007, 09:00 AM.

Comment

in house outsourcing

That's what is really going on. I am listening to Chinese even as I am typing this (no kidding)....Ni hou....Most the PhD jobs are taken by all Chinese here at the University. That is simply because the university brings them over on Temp visas and works them 70 hrs/ per week in the labs and pays them half (@30k per year) of what an American citizen used to get a few years ago for the same job. All on the American tax payer.... and for the first couple years they don't have to pay taxes themselves on a J1 VISA (Eddie Murphy...."WAT A BAGAN") ....Welcome to America!
                  MDRNF
                  79F.....Not Stock
                  80G......Not Stock Either....In the works

Comment

Re: Don't be too hasty on that one HobbyMan

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Wildkat
                    [B]
                    Pure water is a cleansing agent for your body...

I've seen what water can do to pipes and cooling systems. My joints are creaky enough without generating rust! Besides, I believe my kidneys could filter bilge water from a turkish slave ship with no problem. It kinda like sports, don't watch nuthin that dosent have a steering wheel or handlebars, and dont drink stuff unless it has a pressed on cap or a tax stamp.
                    When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

Re: (which was made here)

Originally posted by mro
                      Before recent shop move had a neighbor that sold wholesale to restaurants. Chinese vegetables imported from china. Have a customer that is in a similar business, sells Chinese imported dry and canned goods to restaurants.

May be Hop Sing is sitting in his hut laughing is a$$ off,
                      all the way to the bank........

mro
                      btw
                      Chinese economy, growing 10% per year.
                      US economy ???
                      Before you mock the Chinese...why don't you go and see how it is out there...not so fun.
                      Sure there are the success stories but the countryside is just terrible. Beggers on streets of Beijing also...lot's of them.

I have travelled in Kanton (south - near HongKong), Dalian (near North-Korea border) and naturally Beijing. It's pretty poor country overall. That's why they are doing everything they can do to get out of the poverty. would YOU be willing to work for a year (no timeoff or holidays) to maybe get two weeks off when you can visit your family?

However I have allways hoped that there would be BIG salary increases every year in China...they are just too competetive at the moment.

And I don't even want to start about the Indian workers....
                      ---
                      Marko
                      '81 SH

Comment

If you haven't already read it, I would highly recommend reading Ted C Fishman's book "China Inc" . It is an absolutely fascinating read.
                        Ken Talbot

Comment

First thing I thought when I read your post about drinking juice instead of water - hope you are ready for kidney stones in 10 years...
                          1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
                          1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
                          http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

j.c.

On a science note, that concentrate is loaded with citric acid (more than normal fresh squeeze O.J.)and your blood pH will drop and chelate the calcium from your bones and will definitely wind up in your kidneys if too much is trying to be filtered....
                            MDRNF
                            79F.....Not Stock
                            80G......Not Stock Either....In the works

Comment

mn2346: I wanted to to let you know that no one is mocking the Chinese. I just don't like the way that we have become so dependant on China.

I will let everyone know what them kidney stones are like. At least I won't have ulcers and other health problems from Soda as many of the youth today are getting. Need I mention obesity?
                              Acta Non Verba

Comment

Working...
                              X