No announcement yet.

They're trying to force a helmet on your head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why are there not laws making people wear safety equipment while skiing. My cousin was almost killed when he lost control while skiing and fell of a cliff. He fell a good amount breaking most every bone in his body and ruptured his kidneys.
    United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
    If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
    "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
    "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
    Acta Non Verba

Comment

Okay, not to offend anyone, but with everyone on their soap boxes, has anyone actually tried to do anything about it? Write a congressman, perhaps?
      '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

honestly, no. Just been thinking about it. Maby now that someone has mentioned it, I will. My Dad used to write lettes all the time.
        Last edited by HobbyMan; 04-07-2007, 10:32 AM.
        United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
        If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
        "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
        "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
        Acta Non Verba

Comment

Yes mine are Richard Durbin and Barack Obama.
          Have not heard from either of them, maybe because IL is one state with NO helmet law. About 30years ago the Illinois Supreme Court rulled it against the Illinois Constitution and they have not been able to pass a new lew since.

Ed Z.
          It's an 80 LG My Midnight Ride
          81 XJ650 MAXIM The Preachers Bike (Gone but not forgotten)
          82 KZ 305 CSR Training Wheels (now my daughters)
          82 GS 850 GL SWMBO's (HER RIDE)

'He who wanders is not always lost."

Comment

Don't take either of my previous post in this thread the wrong way. I am completely against helmet, seatbelt, car seat, and all other forms of "protect you from yourself" type laws. I wear a helmet, a seatbelt, and my child rides in the back-center seat, in a 5 point car seat. However, like Maximan briefly touched upon, people aren't held responsible or accountable for their own actions. We all pay for the stupidity of others and until THAT is changed, I would rather have laws than higher insurance premiums.
            '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

That is the unfortunate truth. It's also some of the reason for the sue happy culture we live in, nobody thinks things are their own fault anymore, we live in a society of cry babies who will sue when the get hurt by their own lack of judgement or self control. Don't get me wrong there are times when you have to go to court, but when you're so self-centered that it's easyer to sue than admit you did something stupid that's just not right.

Ed. Z.
              It's an 80 LG My Midnight Ride
              81 XJ650 MAXIM The Preachers Bike (Gone but not forgotten)
              82 KZ 305 CSR Training Wheels (now my daughters)
              82 GS 850 GL SWMBO's (HER RIDE)

'He who wanders is not always lost."

Comment

I think i need another beer .. this topic has gone too far for me LOL!

Comment

Someone asked what have we done about it. I activly supported the no smoking ban people here in Ohio. Including a donation. I also take every oppurtunity to talk with people on a one on one basis. Most people have not thought past the knee jerk reaction about these issues. Personal freedom is something most people dont think about untill it's gone. A friend has a resturant and was a major smoling ban supporter untill he saw what happened in NYC with the ban on certain food ingrediants. He is looking at it alot differently now. But it may be to late. The safety nannies now have blueprints to follow. And we watched it happen.
                  78E ... Gone but not forgotten
                  2006 Kawasaki Concours....just getting to know it

Comment

Originally posted by midnight1980
                    I think i need another beer .. this topic has gone too far for me LOL!

Heh heh! Great pic!
                    CUAgain,
                    Daniel Meyer
                    Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
                    Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

Write a congressman, perhaps?
                      Did for a few years and actually got a return letter a few times.
                      All return letters never addressed issue I wrote about and were mainly propaganda for the politican and/or there party.

but the statistics
                      If our laws are to be based on statistics there are a lot more things that cause several times more injury/death than MC riding w or w/o helmets. MC deaths/injuries are way down the list.

mro

Comment

Working...
                      X