I bought a new old car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I bought a new old car

While not motorcycle related, since so many on this site are in their 40's & 50's, I thought you might appreciate this.

Last week I put a deposit on a 1971 Plymouth Barracuda Gran Coupe and am picking it up this Wednesday. I've been a Mopar guy for close to 30 years and this is my first E-Body car. Originally a B5 blue 340 slapstick car, it has spent at least part of it's life as a drag car. It now sports a 440/slapstick/dana 60. It's not currently running, but I plan on having it back on the road by May 1st, drive for a while and figure out what exactly I'm going to do with it.

Only problem I foresee is that I am also planning on getting my SF back in the road next spring after it's 11 year nap.

Going to be a busy winter.

I am a man,
    but I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess.

Hey Scott.. Mopar's is nice. Pics mister, you have to send pics!!

Sounds like a nice buy
    Brian
    1978E Midlife Crisis - A work in progress
    1984 Kawasaki 550 Ltd - Gone, but not forgotten

A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people
    remembering the same thing!

Comment

Re: I bought a new old car

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Scott Underwood
      [B]While not motorcycle related, since so many on this site are in their 40's & 50's, I thought you might appreciate this.

WAY TO GO! I too am 45 something and Mopar all the way. Give us a link to the car when you start on it. You can get a glimpse of some of my mopars on my web page.
      Mark Van Winkle
      Spokane, WA
      K7HPT
      79SF

Comment

Thanks guys. I took some pics last week but they weren't very good. Guess it's time to RTFM for my digital camera. I'll shoot some more on Wed and see if I can post them in the space that my ISP gives me for a website.

The car is kind of a Mutt. Totally non-stock drive train, inncorrect front fenders, maybe hood also and no fender tag. So basically I can do whatever I want with the car. Maybe this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=1870039702

Yeah, right. Get real Scott.

Think I want to make it a dependable street cruiser. That way I can hit the road and go to the Mopar Shows w/o breaking the bank or parts.

Mark, you obviously are an old Mopar buff. That hemi powered barracuda looks like quite the handful. Plus a few restorations - way to go. I've that I have a cousin on Portland that is big into the Mopars, so maybe I should give him a call. Heck it's probably been 1980 since I last talked to him.

Later, Scott
        I am a man,
        but I can change,
        if I have to,
        I guess.

Comment

Looking reel good there, Scott.

My dream car is a bit... well... it's a Shelby Mustang GT500.
          Now there was an 1967 indigo blue one of these, with white stripes for sale bout two months ago for bout 57k.

Didn't find a pic of the one for sale, but wuttahell

But since I'm not rich, the one I kinda have will have to do.
          It's a 1993 renault clio 1,4 RT. A small thingie, 80 HP, 30 mpg, 76k on the clock, and will still do 120, given enuff straight road

However, things brake and fail, spares are expencive... so I guess I'll sell it next year. And maybe get me a mini cooper (not the new one), or a ford taunus or... dunno.

Or maybe a 69-ish mustang. A guy I know has one, maybe he'll sell. 5 liter V8

Eh well.... it sux to be poor.

LP
          If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
          (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

I really like your taste in cars. I had a 1971 Dodge Challenger. Only had a 318, but I happen to like those motors, they are practically bullet proof.

Problem was that I took leave of my senses and sold it. Though I did get more then I bought it for. But I kick myself for doing that everytime I think about it.

I also like the 69 Mustang Fastbacks.

Another dream car for me would be a GTO Judge. Convertialbe.

Comment

bad news

my dad just totalled his Octavia today... looks like playing kissie kissie with trucks donesn't have too good an effect on the car.

He's OK, just a bit sore.. so it looks like I'm gonna have to get me a new old car too, since the one I'm driving is on his name/kinda family car. Sux bigtime.

It'll be at least a year before the paperwork comes thru for the insurance company to pay up. Cops say it was his fault. Dunno why.
              In a turn he noticed a truck comming his way on his lane, braked and kaboom. The skid marks confirm his story, but the cops and the truck driver were both locals, so... it's gonna go to court.

LP

Comment

Strom,

Sorry to hear about your Dad. I pray that he did not get hurt and the best of luck with the insurance.

What is an "Octavia"? I did a surch and did not come up with any cars by that name.
                Mark Van Winkle
                Spokane, WA
                K7HPT
                79SF

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Van Winkle
                  Strom,

Sorry to hear about your Dad. I pray that he did not get hurt and the best of luck with the insurance.

What is an "Octavia"? I did a surch and did not come up with any cars by that name.
                  EU thingie... now under volkswagen. They say they have the most modern factory... well.. they might. Skoda is the brand, Octavia the type.

It's one of those factories, that made tons of crap commie cars, so they don't have a reputation... but most of the parts are shared by VW, audi, etc... reliability is great, so is comfort and cheap parts... plus you don't have to pay for the label. Octavia is kinda golf/passat/A3/A4/A6 mix. Costs half the price of those (well, not golf).

More info on http://www.skoda-auto.com/

LP

Comment

Hmmm... can't see the taunus pic. up there... here's another one:

PS: Dad's fine... he's got some bruises on his chin from the airbag and a cut on his finger. The car's a writeoff.
                    Gotta ring a friend. He had 3 taunuses... two running.
                    It has a nice 2.0 V6 engine... and 2.3 cyls and heads would fit. Same stroke.

LP
                    Last edited by strom; 10-23-2002, 04:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X