80Lg vs 81LH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 80Lg vs 81LH

Apparently the OEM engine/generator covers are still available from Yamaha. I had some money left over from some other projects so I decided what the heck, I would get it. It was backordered for about 2 weeks so I figured Bike Bandit had forgotten to label it discontinued. Well, they fed exed it to me a couple of days ago. WOW it looks nice. Only one problem. The one that is gouged up from my 81LH is completely black with gold letters. This one is black around the edges with polished aluminum face and black letters. Is this scheme from an 81 LG? I am probably going to stick it on to ride the bike. While the original one is off I will resurface the aluminum and experiment with engine paint. When that is all done I will use the same paint on the engine and have one KickA** looking bike. I love the 81LH/XJ wheels.
    Last edited by HobbyMan; 04-02-2007, 11:41 PM.
    United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
    If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
    "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
    "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
    Acta Non Verba

my stock LH has a 'New Yamaha Black' generator cover with Nebula (sp?) Gold lettering. The circle arounnd the cover is also Nebula Gold. there is very little polished (or otherwise unpainted) aluminum on the LH. Here is a link that shows the 'factory' left-side for the LH.

I know the LG has a slightly different generator cover than the LH but it is also 'New Yahaha Black' with no polished aluminum.

can't find the link right now that describes the paint differences between the LG and LH.

Comment

The cover in the link on the LH is identical to my LG.
      Pat Kelly
      <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
      1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
      2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
      1999 Suburban (The Ship)
      1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
      1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

I believe you have a cover for a european model. I got a new one in a box of parts that was black around the outside and silver in the middle with black lettering. I checked it out on the xs11 parts swap site and found it belonged to the european model. There is a difference (cosmetic) between 80 and 81 MNS generator cover. I am running a 81 on my 80 MNS now so that swap works.
        DEW
        One Red "Creation 1"
        One Black"Creation 2"
        One Black"Creation 3"
        One ???? "Creation 4"
        One ???? "Creation 5"
        One ???? "Parts Bike"
        All the above 1100 Specials
        78 Standard (Ruf Ruf)
        1980 Midnight Special
        1978 650 SE

Comment

Resurrect an old thread

Hey Hobbyman,

The biggest difference between the two years was that the LG had a decal that formed the circle on the cover and the gold lettering was the same on both years painted with Nebula gold. The LH actually had a groove in the covers that was filled with Nebula gold. The European models used the cover you described.
          2 - 80 LGs bought one new
          81 LH
          02 FXSTB Nighttrain
          22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
          Jim

Comment

Sometimes you guys amaze me

it's doubtless a failing in myself that I do not understand the importance of whether this or that portion of a component is polished, painted black or gold-filled.
            1) Does it fit?
            2) Does it keep the dust out?
            3) Who gives a care about the colour?
            Fred Hill, S'toon.
            Fred Hill, S'toon
            XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
            "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Keep it running

It's the difference between just keeping it on the road and full restorartion. I guess because I have owned mine since I rode it off the show room floor I am a stickler for full restoration to original stock condition.
              81 LH
              02 FXSTB Nighttrain
              Jim

Comment

Hobbyman, The LG and LH Oil Pump covers are the same item, part number 4W1-15416-00-00. That's what the Yamaha parts microfiche say.

Looks like this

Sounds like you have been sold one from the european 2H9 model (part number 2H9-15416-02-00) which looks like this
                Brian
                XS1100 LG "Mr T", SG "ICBM" & FJ1200
                Check out the XS Part Number Finder

Be not stingy in what costs nothing as courtesy, counsel and countenance.

Comment

It doesn't look exactly like that. It still has a ring around it. I will have to take a photo.
                  Acta Non Verba

Comment

Ah Ha !
                    must be the one from the European 5K7 'Sport' model then, part number 5K7-15416-00-00

Brian

Comment

thats it, but the alt cover
                      Acta Non Verba

Comment

Doh ! Sorry, thought we was talking Oil Pump Covers for some reason. My bad.

OK, Just to complete the set for the black bikes....

Generator covers on the LG and LH are the same item, part number 4W1-15415-00-00, looks like this

2H9 european model, part number 2H9-15415-00-00

5K7 european 'sport' model, part number 5K7-15415-00-00
                        Brian

Comment

Replacement

That may be what the replacement states and it is true that they will fit either year, however the original covers on the LG did not have the groove in them, they had a circular gold decal.
                          81 LH
                          02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                          Jim

Comment

Cajun, I agree, the original LG Oil Pump Cover needs the circular decal.

Looks like Yamaha have changed the part numbers for the midnight covers post production 'cos the LG parts fiche shows the circular gold decal for the LG Oil Pump Cover as an additional part (number 4H1-15443-00-00), the LH does not have (or need) this decal.

I think the original LG part was 4H3-15416-00-00 and it looks like this
                            Brian

Comment

you all are confusing me. There is no oil pump cover. Its in the engine.
                              Acta Non Verba

Comment

Working...
                              X