buying new xs1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• buying new xs1100

hi i am looking at buy 1981 midnight special but it has 50,000mi on it how long do you think the 2nd gear will last .ps its in mint he,s asking $2000.00

if you have time, take pics, the more records he has the more valuable, representing care, take it for a ride and give it the shake down, if it need 2nd gear the price goes down,

if it is unmolested and shiny 50k miles is fine, mine has 50 or so and run like a bat outa hell,

you may do a compression check to see what the engine is doing,

i'm sure there may be more suggestions coming, but don't rush into it just yet, take your time, i would like a midnight myself one day.
    "a good man knows his limitations" dirty harry
    History
    85 Yamaha FJ 1100
    79 yamaha xs1100f
    03 honda cbr 600 f4
    91 yamaha fzr 600
    84 yamaha fj 1100
    82 yamaha seca 750
    87 yamaha fazer
    86 yamaha maxim x
    82 yamaha vision
    78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

If it was well kept, 2nd gear might never be a problem - or it could go out tomorrow - it's hard to tell without a good test ride (let the owner do a nice 2nd gear hard roll on) or without pulling the tranny apart.
      1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
      1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
      http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

Originally posted by Snow
        If it was well kept, 2nd gear might never be a problem - or it could go out tomorrow - it's hard to tell without a good test ride (let the owner do a nice 2nd gear hard roll on) or without pulling the tranny apart.
        my midnight has no problem with the 2nd gear but the forth slips some times??

Comment

My MNS has 65,000 and 2nd gear is fine (so far). It was fine cosmeticlly for having sat outside for a year or two. Seat cover was badly torn but mostly it just needed a good cleaning. Mechanically, it smoked. The filter that cover the drain in the airbox was missing so who knows how long it's been sucking unfiltered air. Also the valve stem seals were worn.
          I paid $500 for it at 60,000 miles. With the bigbore kit and related work I probably have $1,500 in it.
          If it's cosmetically and mechanically perfect then $2,000 sound reasonable to me.
          My E had 25,000 miles on it when 2nd gear became problematic.
          Pat Kelly
          <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
          1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
          2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
          1999 Suburban (The Ship)
          1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
          1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Working...
          X