Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

was the midnight made better then the xs 11?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• was the midnight made better then the xs 11?

yeap it appears so

Comment

Some things were better, like slotted brake rotors. Other things, like looks, cannot compare with the Standards
      1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
      1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
      http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

looks

To me the special versions looks are awesome. I like the standard but not the square headlight and instruments. Just the opposites on KZ's i like the standard better than the LTD version..

Comment

its all guuuhhhhddd
          "a good man knows his limitations" dirty harry
          History
          85 Yamaha FJ 1100
          79 yamaha xs1100f
          03 honda cbr 600 f4
          91 yamaha fzr 600
          84 yamaha fj 1100
          82 yamaha seca 750
          87 yamaha fazer
          86 yamaha maxim x
          82 yamaha vision
          78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

The differences between the special and midnight special are astetic.
            The welds are no stronger, they just look nicer. The seat has the slight difference in profile. The paint has had more attention paid to it.
            Just a tidier package at a higher price.

As far as my personal opinion on special vs standard...... I'm not into cruisers or "the Harley look" (thus the different handlebars on my MNS).
            We used to call the Virago a Yamaharley, now there's one in my driveway (I don't like riding it).

That said, to each his own. Don't buy a bike to impress me, buy it to impress yourself.
            Pat Kelly
            <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
            1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
            2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
            1999 Suburban (The Ship)
            1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
            1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Notice that artical says only one MNS was available to each dealer? If so, could be far fewer around than previously thought.
              Have tried a few times to find out just how many were made but no luck and Yamaha woun't tell.

Got out bid om ebay by some guy "mikebwn"
              for mns turn signals. Really wanted the reflector which goes on the front fork..... Maybe I'ii have better luck on foot pegs

Just finished a fraim "pre-clean" last night on my MNS project. Now it can be handled with out getting a hand full of oil. Next will split the cases to check out the crank journals. If no damage, will then splt cases on donor engine and check it over. (donor engine has only 2,600 original miles on it) Plan to use original cases and donor parts from crank on up.

mro

Comment

Hi folks ! I dont think the first midnight special (LG) is better than its 99% identical twin (SG). My experience is that it is the same errors that comes on both: petcocks, 2nd gear problems. But the finish on some of the the SG parts has longer life than the same parts on the LG. The parts I am thinking of is : covers on airbox,rear grab rail, fuel cap, other "gold" plated parts. But I still think that the LG is the most beautifull motorcycle !
                Is it not possible to find out how many LG`s YAMAHA made ? My LG has the vin: 4H3-000415 I "found" it on the internet in Wisconsin. 14000 miles , got her to Norway in a container 2 years ago , but she was in non running condition due to a petcock/carb leek. The petcocks was in "ON" position,and fuel ran into the engine oil and into the airfilter box. The previous owner sat on a fire bomb! I put on a new wiring harness,changed oil,repaired the petcocks - and now she runs like a rocket. But still lot of work to do before she is ready for the norwegian roads. Still missing that NOS left side exhaust to make her perfect !
                TERJE

`79SF
                `80SG x 2
                `80LG x 2
                `81SH
                `82XJ1100J
                `83CB1000 CUSTOM
                `79WIFE

Comment

Working...
                X