Buell vs. XS11?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buell vs. XS11?

I was wondering if anyone has gone up against a Buell. I see go past my house all the time and it looks like they are really trying to race away from the lights, but don't look all that fast. I was just curious. I know they come in a coupe engine size options; 9??cc and a larger 11??cc-ish motors. I am sure that 9?? doesn't stand a chance
    '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Got into a 70+ rollon with one many years ago. Don't know what size or model it was. He pulled me till I snicked 'er down a cog and then it was over for him. I backed off at a 100+ 'cause I figured I had proved my point. I caught up with him later in the twisties. It was pretty easy to breath on him hard. A bikes ability to beat or to be beaten by another can often be how it is ridden.
    In this case, I would have to say Buell Boy was outgunned and out ridden.
    When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

buell

my friends 1200cc sportster gets left behind if I gun it at 60+ roll on. He doesn't like the idea my almost 30 yr. old unrebuilt bike can hammer like this....
      MDRNF
      79F.....Not Stock
      80G......Not Stock Either....In the works

Comment

Can tell you first hand the Buell 920 got left half a block back in two blocks...............10mph clutch roll-on............one-up on Buell............two-up at 175lbs. each on Venturer1100...............the higher in elevation the worst it gets for two air pumps as opposed to four smaller ones...............yeppers.
        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

I came-up on the same Buell Thunder (whatever size that is) on 2 seperate occasions.
          First time I was on my XL250 and he would roar away (open pipe) and I'd roll-up to him at the next redlight, about 3 times. On the 3rd time he looked over and grinned and said "wanna run em?" I pointed to the dirt field next to us and said "Sure". We both had a laugh.
          Two years later we met-up again and I was on my E (full-dressed). He tried to impress me with his "thunder" but all he saw was my taillight.
          As Webb alluded to, I think Mr Thunder was still green two years later.
          Pat Kelly
          <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
          1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
          2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
          1999 Suburban (The Ship)
          1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
          1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Actually some of these latter model Buells are putting out 80 plus rear wheel horsepower so beware!
            1993 ZX11D
            1979 CBX
            1973 Z1
            2001 ZX12R

Comment

Yes, but what does a Buell weigh?

It's like my Friends Royal Star. He has a 1300cc V4 @ over 100hp, but weighs around 800lbs. I don't think he'll be any match for the XS, but time will tell.
              Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
              '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

I dunno, I have a friend who is an excellent rider, and puts in some track time to improve his street skills. Not drag strip, the tracks with the corners. I have a hard time keeping up with him on a 2002 FZ1, and we both know his Buell (xb12, I believe, the big engine) is much, much faster.

That said, it could be we are getting more out of our machines than teh average buell rider, but I am thinking with a skilled rider it would be different.

Not that I am getting one. I love my xs.
                I've been in more than one Hemisphere, and I wrote a book to help you do it too (or just prepare better for that week long road trip). Going Small, not just for the little guys.

Comment

You better read this.
                  http://www.sportrider.com/bikes/146_...000/index.html
                  1993 ZX11D
                  1979 CBX
                  1973 Z1
                  2001 ZX12R

Comment

buel

I have absolutely wasted my friends Buel with my 78 Z1R in roll ons standing start corners you name it...

Comment

The Buel in any size is a nice piece of work and a nice ride to boot. However an XS11 in good tune, with an experienced rider on board should have no problems displaying its tail light to the Buel rider.
                      Rob
                      KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
                      1978 XS500E
                      1979 XS1100F Restored
                      1980 XS1100 SG
                      1981 Suzuki GS1100
                      1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
                      1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Re: buel

[QUOTE]Originally posted by xsscooters
                        I have absolutely wasted my friends Buel with my 78 Z1R in roll ons standing start corners you name it... [/QUOTE

78 Z1R huh. I bought one of those new in 79. My dealer dropped the bike off my house in the crate and I put her together myself. Got any pics?
                        1993 ZX11D
                        1979 CBX
                        1973 Z1
                        2001 ZX12R

Comment

Experience has a lot to do with it. On really twisty, I mean REALLY twisty roads I could outrun my roommates 900 Ninja with my 400 Honda Hawk.
                          I'd been riding and racing my Hawk for 5 years and the Ninja was new to my roommate.
                          Of course it the road was even moderately straight he'd leave me in the dust.
                          Pat Kelly
                          <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                          1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                          2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                          1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                          1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                          1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Horses for courses

Unlike the XS1100, Buells go round corners. Choose a straight road.
                            Fred Hill, S'toon.
                            Fred Hill, S'toon
                            XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                            "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Heh, and what's a flatlander know about corners?
                              Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
                              '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Working...
                              X