Long Ride Preparation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long Ride Preparation

What should I do to prepare for those long rides?

I took my first relativly long ride of about 4 hours, roudtrip, and my rear-end hurt prety bad for a day or so...

Just looking forward to TexSive 2003, and I want to make it to the campground, ride the ride, and not have to tow my bike behind the truck

Just curious if anybody has any tips to make it a little better of a ride. I will keep taking rides out and around Texas just to try and get use to the long trips, but help will greatly be appreciated.
    Got to fix it before I can ride it

82 XJ11

The XJ stock seat is not good for long trips. First one I took, about 660 miles in 1 day, and I thought I wouldn't be able to ride for days.

Two thigngs to do short of replacing the seat. Get a weight-trainer belt ($8 - $10 a most stores) and strap it on for long trips. Gives you lower back support. Get a back rest and pad it with enough gear (sleeping bag?) so you can lean back on it a bit.

If you have not done so, try adjusting the handlebars. There is a plastic plug in the inside of the bars where the hand grip meeds the 'down' bar. Remove the plug, loosen the allen bolt underneath, and the handgrip can be rotated up or down on a splined shaft. I moved mine 1 spot higher than stock. Other handlebar adjustment is there the bars attach to the 'tripple-t'. Remove the cover aroung the ignition switch (1 Phillips screw) and uncover the Allen bolts athat attach the handelbars to the front forks. Loosen the Allen bolts, and the handelbars can be moved out or in over a range of 3 splines. I moved mine 1 more out than stock. Together this gave me a much more comfortable riding position.

I eventually went to a custom seat that eliminated the need for the weight-lifter belt and backrest, but this is an expensive option, $420.00 in my case. However, In the long run it was worth the upgrade.

Other things you can do...

Find a way to mount an alternate set of footpegs. Add engine guards and mount the footpegs there. The ability to move your legs around helps a lot. A windshield will add much comfort to long rides. A full fairing is nice, but there are several amaller units available with square-mount brackets that will fit the XJ.

Get a set of riding gloves. They will keep the backs of your hands from getting sunburned and absorb some of the handlebar vibration. Try a tinted visor on your helmet. I use a Shoei high-definition (amber) visor on trips and it helps cut down glare and eye strain a great deal. If you can, get a good pair of riding boots. They are more comfortable on trips than regular shoes.

More can be done, just depends on your budget and riding style. Stuff here covers the basics. Will say that longer rides are a hoot, and you can get addicted to them.....
    Jerry Fields
    '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
    '06 Concours
    My Galleries Page.
    My Blog Page.
    "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

The XJ seat is, well, not ergonomic, to say the least. "Abomination" comes to mind as a good descriptive word about it. A thick sheepskin helps a lot (as well as Jerry's tip to have something packed behind you to lean back on).

Jerry covered most the bases. I'd add - throttle lock, a Vista Cruise or NEP, or wrist rocker (search the forum with those keywords for more info).

I made many 4-figure trips on the XJ in comfort BEFORE I even put on a fairing or got the sheepskin!

There are probably NO new bikes under $20,000 that have a seat worth sitting on for more than a couple hours, so do what ya gotta do to be comfy.
      Mike * Seattle * 82 F'n'XJ1100 *

Comment

Good raingear (as opposed to cheap or none) can make a huge comfort difference if it rains. If packing for a trip when it's nice outside, it's easy to not anticipate all the possible inclement weather conditions you may incur. I speak from experience. When hurriedly packing Friday when it was really nice out for the NC rally, I didn't prepare as thoroughly for rain on Sunday as I wish I had!
        Robert
        79 SF

Comment

Long Rides

First, play with your suspension settings. If you have air forks, try different pressures. I found 12lbs works good for my rig with the factory fairing. Rear shocks have preload and damping adjustments. These will depend on how much gear you are packing. I also use a tankbag that I overstuff with soft stuff so I can lay down on it. When you ride single, you can move you feet to the back pegs. VERY important, tubeless tire repair kit, I have the BMW style with the co2 cartridges, have never had to use it on my bike, but have fixed many on the road for other people. Good two piece rain suit helps. Other than that, just take a break every hour or so.
          When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

Long ride adder

I'd just like to stress that when you stop that "every hour or so" that you hydrate. You'll be losing water continuously while you ride so make sure to drink at every stop, even if you're not thirsty. Try to avoid caffeinated drinks because they are diuretics and will dehydrate you further. (I'm a Diet Pepsi addict and it's tough.)

Don't forget sunblock for exposed parts and moisturizer for face if you ride without a shield (or even if you do).

Comment

Many good points have been raised. The hydration issue is very real, particularly here in the west where summer riding temps are near (or over) 100 deg F. This year I switched to the Gatoraid/Poweraide type drinks, had been using juices or straight water. Can't say I noticed a lot of difference, but do stay away from caffinated or carbonated drinks.

Notes on clothing...I bought boxer shorts to wear for long rides. Seams from regular briefs can wear on your backside after a while, particularly on the stock seat. Boxers have the seams in different places and are quite a bit more comfortable for riding.

I ride with a jacket of some sort, a TourMaster for long rides, but even just a regular jacket for short hops. Jacket will help control water loss through evaporation as well as provide protection from flying sand, bugs, and wind. May look 'cool' to wear just a t-shirst or vest, but a jcket will aid in long-distance comfort. Try to find one with a letter-jacket type collar and zip-close pockets.

You will get tired on long rides. I take Jolly Rancher hard candy along, stick a piece up between cheek and gum. The sugar helps keep me alert. Lasts quite a while, too. I carry a small amount of snack foods (rasins, peanuts, granola bars) for a quick snack at gas stops or rest areas.

When you plan your route, figure 500 milkes is a *long* day. You will average 50 - 55 MPH with food and gas stops, so 500 miles is a good 10 hours in the saddle. You can do more, or course, but the enjoyment level falls off noticeably....

One other thing I added to the XJ is one of those inexpensive round stick-on clocks. I don't wear a watch, and it is nice to be able to check the time occasionally. (Have destroyed a couple watches in get-offs, found they will dig into your wrist/arm if dragged over pavement.) Kmart and Wallmart have them for $3.00 or so.

As I said, many good ideas in these posts. Hope these additions help you out.
              Jerry Fields
              '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
              '06 Concours
              My Galleries Page.
              My Blog Page.
              "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

As a sad note, I once "got off" suddenly. Somewhere in Pennsylvania either imbedded in Route 30 east of Pittsburgh or on somebody's wrist is my Rolex which flew off during the french dismount (ricochet).

Comment

If your are going to do some REAL Long Distance riding then check out the Iron Butt Website and selecte the 'Archive of Wisdom' link. Lots of good advice on LD riding.
                  [b][size=4][font=times][color=#BD0062]Wayne[/color][/font][/size][/b]
                  [b][size=4][font=times][color=#095de5]TeXSive forever[/color][/font][/size][/b]
                  The best alarm clock is sunshine on chrome.

Comment

Working...
                  X