Electric fuel pump yes/no??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric fuel pump yes/no??

was wondering if anyone has trieds to fit an electric fuel pump to their xs an if so how did it go.....worth doing? or a waste of time?

I thought one might help to keep the fuel level more accurate and constant instead of the gravity feed, The bike runs exceptionally well and i dont have any probs but when i am running at high revs for any length of time (which happens alot!)...lol...it feels like it is starting to lean out a little...

Cheers
    1982 XS1100R
    1982 XJ650
    1983 VT400
    1990 XVS Shadow
    1983 Z1100

-I just love the look on their faces when you leave them standing in the dust after they've lined you up on your XS.

I removed the octopus on my LG and have it plumbed so that the bike can be run off one petcock. I've never been starved for fuel on one petcock no matter how "recreational" I get.
    Pat Kelly
    <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
    1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
    2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
    1999 Suburban (The Ship)
    1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
    1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Dito Pat Kelly. I have been plumbed for one or both petcocks for years, with inline filters, with no probs whatsoever.
      Mike Giroir
      79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

If you're starving on long hard runs, check your tank vent/fuel cap vent. You might be building up a vacuum in the tank.

On the fuel pump question...there are small electrics that also completely cut off fuel when off...there is some advantage to those!

VLX'x use them...and there's a few aftermarket ones as well.
        CUAgain,
        Daniel Meyer
        Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
        Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

yeah I have heard people doing that to eliminate one petcock.......I should have also said in the thread that mine has a set of carbs off a 900 Diversion on it. it runs smaller main jets 102.5 and higher float level but flows much more volume of mix heaps of power and much better low end response than my old original carbs......just thought someone may have done it some where here, sort of...where did you put it how did you wire it and what did you use?... type of Question?.....The bike runs excellent colored plugs thru the entire rev range and gets a good 38mpg on milage, however i do race it alot against new bikes and when you redline in all gears from 1st thru to 5th by the time you get to redline in 5th the bowls feel like they are getting low on the fluid side. seems the gravity ain't keeping up in that instant....around town and normal riding it is fine and the odd xs'ive riding is fine too, just the all out drag race type stint' lol

cheers
          Last edited by goldcoastguy001; 03-27-2007, 07:42 AM.
          1982 XS1100R
          1982 XJ650
          1983 VT400
          1990 XVS Shadow
          1983 Z1100

-I just love the look on their faces when you leave them standing in the dust after they've lined you up on your XS.

Comment

Those that have gone the fuel injection route (megasquirt) have used a Hayabusa fuel pump. Maybe one from a Virago would work too.
            Pat Kelly
            <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
            1999 Suburban (The Ship)
            1968 F100 (Valentine)

Comment

The biggest problem with an electric fuel pump, on the older gravity type carbs, is that you may have some difficulty with the pump overpowering the needle valve/float assy. They were designed for just gravity feed.

I guess it depends on how much pressure it puts out or if you can adjust it.
              Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
              '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Anyone thinking they're bike is starving of fuel from a gravity fed situation... needs to get some clear line when they synch they're carbs. After synchronizing, and disconnecting from whatever fuel source you are using... run your mootor to run the fuel out of the line. Even at a very high revving, the fuel doesn't move very fast in that tube. A fairly well stopped up line could still supply enough fuel..

Tod
                Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                '06 Suzuki DR650
                *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                '81 XS1100 Special
                '81 YZ250
                '80 XS850 Special
                '80 XR100
                *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

If you open your petcock (vacuum attachment notwithstanding) and let it drain, the tank will empty in minutes. It takes a couple of hours to empty the tank through the carbs while running. Barring mechanical blockage, I think the fuel starvation theory is bogus and just a rationalization to avoid opening the carbs.
                  "Time is the greatest teacher; unfortunately, it kills all of its students."

Comment

Hey thanks Pat, will give the Hayabusa pump ago. I can also relate to the trbig's clear hosing idea too. As for Loho.....lol.... I wish it was an excuse, I dont have any probs with taking the carbs off usually have them off in a 5 or so mins and back on as quick, whilst i was doing the testing and tuning of the 900 Diversion carbs i had alot of experimental test with jetting etc. If I go to redline in most gears and then kill the throttle and coast to a stop I can take out the screw in the carb bowls and only get a dribble of fuel out of each, however if I do a run down the highway and kill the enigine on the offramp and remove the screw i get a full fuel bowls worth on the ground. I am not sure bout what pressure the needle valves will take in the fuel bowls as crazcnuk said so will have to investigate into that it is a fair comment that i didnt take into account, will keep you informed bout the Hayabusa pump.

Cheers
                    Last edited by goldcoastguy001; 03-28-2007, 07:51 AM.
                    1982 XS1100R
                    1982 XJ650
                    1983 VT400
                    1990 XVS Shadow
                    1983 Z1100

Comment

Could the float level(s) be too low?
                      Pat Kelly
                      <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                      1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                      1968 F100 (Valentine)

Comment

You DO NOT need the 'Busa pump. Any small electric pump, WITH A REGULATOR is all you should need.
                        I've been helping a friend with flatslide Mikuni's on a Datsun Roadster. We had to turn the fuel reg. down to 1/2 psi to keep from flooding everything. After the final set up, we found 1 psi would supply all the fuel needed, and NOT cause the fuel to flow out of all the open ports in the carbs.
                        These carbs do need flow, but at a LOW pressure.
                        Ray Matteis
                        KE6NHG
                        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I agree with Ray. If you don't have fuel inection, you DO NOT need that kind of fuel pressure (35-40psi). Besides, I have watched the Bay for long periods of time for those '99 busa pumps (only ones that were external) and when they do pop up, you better be ready to shell out some serious money for one (200-300). There were lots of bikes that had carbutetors and lower psi pumps. If you think you still want a pump, check those out.
                          '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

try pingle they are high flow petcocks, some grinding on the tanks tho
                            "a good man knows his limitations" dirty harry
                            History
                            85 Yamaha FJ 1100
                            79 yamaha xs1100f
                            03 honda cbr 600 f4
                            91 yamaha fzr 600
                            84 yamaha fj 1100
                            82 yamaha seca 750
                            87 yamaha fazer
                            86 yamaha maxim x
                            82 yamaha vision
                            78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

Most of the bikes that came with fuel pumps, that I know of, came with a pump because the fuel tank was below or behind the engine. My shadow 1100 had one tank in the normal spot, but the other tank was under the seat, too low for any kind of gravity feed.

Most carbed cars run between 4-6 psi on the fuel pump, just for info. Fuel injected ones can be over 200psi, depending on the system.

My 502Cuin monte has a 7psi holley 97 gph Holley Blue pump, and I've been told it's too small!!
                              Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
                              '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Working...
                              X