Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• do you use a cruse control? for long rides touring

Vista Cruise Universal Cruise Control

I have a cruise control(s) on my bike(s).
    I occasionally use it when I need to relax my right hand or adjust the right mirror, petcock, etc.
    Pat Kelly
    <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
    1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
    2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
    1999 Suburban (The Ship)
    1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
    1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

don't have cruise control...come to think of it, I've never been on a long ride, couple hours here or there, but never a really long ride....hmmn something to consider...long ride...
      I am the Lorax, I speak for the Trees

'80 XS1100 SG (It's Evil, Wicked, Mean & Nasty)

'79 XS1100 F R (IL Barrachino)

'00 Suzuki Intruder 1400 (La Soccola)

'77 KZ400s (La Putana)

Comment

Throttle lock

I for one find a throttle lock indispensable on the long haul. Tried it once on a 1700 mile trip and could not straighten out my right wrist for a week- then again- it might just be my advanced years. In any event- I use one now along with a gel-seat.

Comment

I use a throttle lock, and wouldn't be without it. I don't use it all the time, but it is great when you need it.

Comment

Just put a Vista Cruise on, not ridden yet. For some reason that I can't quite figure, it isn't releasing completely. Throttle does not snap right back as it should. Pretty sure it's installed correctly.
            80 SG
            81 SH in parts
            99 ST1100
            91 ST1100

Comment

Am considering cruise control...

I am thinking of putting a real cruise control on Pathfinder. A real one like in cars that maintains a set speed. I figure it will cost me about $150 complete, installed. I have a throttle lock which I use ocassionally, but only for very short periods because it won't hold a steady speed.
              You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
              Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
              Drilled airbox
              Tkat fork brace
              Hardly mufflers
              late model carbs
              Newer style fuses
              Oil pressure guage
              Custom security system
              Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

I use a throttle lock for my long rides. I wouldn't try a long ride WITHOUT some kind of cruise control. I may look into one of the automotive types, just to try and keep a set speed.
                Ray Matteis
                KE6NHG
                XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Throttle Lock ...

what grips are you using with the Throttle Lock? and do you levve the Throttle Lock installed year around?

Comment

No cruuzz. Just a throttle rocker. Takes a little to get used to but works great.
                    S.R.Czekus

1-Project SG (Ugly Rat Bike)(URB)
                    1-big XS patch
                    1-small XS/XJ patch
                    1-XS/XJ owners pin.
                    1-really cool XS/XJ owners sticker on my helmet.
                    2-2005 XS rally T-shirts, (Bean Blossom, In)
                    1-XVS1300C Yamaha Stryker Custom (Mosquito)
                    1-VN900C Kawasaki Custom (Jelly Bean)

Just do it !!!!!

Comment

cruisin' along

I don't have one, but I plan to get one sometime soon. A while ago, I did some poking around old threads and happened across Audiovox. I PM'd 2fast who had one, to ask him about it. He replied with this link: Audiovox cruise control and he said the people there are great to deal with. Just thought I'd pass this on.
                      -Do what makes you happy.

'79 Honda CB 750 K (2)
                      '78 XS 11 E - "Rhona"
                      ...and a 2nd E, for the goodies on it.

Comment

I've got a throttle lock on Tsunami, but really don't find it very useful. There's usually just enough variation in road grade or wind that it won't hold a steady speed when locked. I do find it handy if I want to use my right hand for a second to adjust my jacket vent zippers or if my collar is bunched up under my helmet.
                        Ken Talbot

Comment

I have a Throttle Meister on my 12R.
                          http://www.throttlemeister.com/tm.html

I dont use it much but Iam glad I have it when I do. A real cruise control would be nice but I dont want to to pay a bunch of $$$ or time putting one on.
                          1993 ZX11D
                          1979 CBX
                          1973 Z1
                          2001 ZX12R

Comment

should

I should buy one.....had a throttle rest but it blew away when I hit warp 11
                            Bruce
                            Bruce Doucette
                            Phone #1 902 827 3217

Comment

I also use a throttle lock, have had it since 2000 and would not contemplate a long trip without one. First in the midwest, then here in western Colorado there are long stretches where the lock comes in handy. I use mine with the stock grips, which are slid out about 1/4 inch so the lock fits between the grip and the throttle cable housing.

Have most of the parts for an electronic cruise control, still need the dash-mount type switch instead of the stalk-mount style. Picked up a 12v Volvo vacuum motor that I intend to use instead of building the vac canister shown on some installs. Figure I can hide almost everything in the Vetter fairing. Not real high on my lists of priorities, but should get to it this year. Top-notch way to go would be the all-electronic units that don't use vacuum, but they are higher priced.

Had to tweak the tension setting on the lock until I got the best balance of holding and releasing, took a month or so. Carry the allen wrench with you and make adjustments until it feels right.
                              Jerry Fields
                              '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                              '06 Concours
                              My Galleries Page.
                              My Blog Page.
                              "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Working...
                              X