Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello All

Hello All,

I just registered on the forum and wanted to say Hi.

I just recently bought my XS1100E and have begun the process of refurbishing her. Bought it from my neighbor who has divorced and the X left it out in the weather!

So now begins the cleaning, replacing, and tuning!

Back when I owned a bike, it was a 1982 Yamaha Maxim J 650. I loved the bike! I foolishly sold it when I moved to WA State thinking it rains too much to ride! A decision I have regretted since making it!

Problem solved with the XS!

I love this forum! I have found so much info here! The article about the carb repair will be invaluable!

Cya around!
    Dave
    1978 XS1100E
    Tacoma, WA.

Dave's not here...

Oh wait! There you are!

Lots of intelligent people here...
    You came to the right place...
    Welcome and enjoy!
    81 SH Something Special
    81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
    81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
    80 LG Black Magic
    78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
    For those on FB

Comment

Welcome to the site! You will find posts about nearly everything that can go wrong with one of these beasts here. A wealth of information, for sure!

Don't forget the pictures when you get her ready! We love seeing bikes brought back to life.
      80 XS1100SG
      81 XS400SH

Some men miss opportunity because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

A Few Animations I've Made

Comment

Dave,
        Don't forget to put your town on your sig. This will help us when you ask a question, and forget to tell us what model bike you have. The plus is some of the XS people that live in WA, and some like me that ride up that way now and then to see family.
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG
        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Thanks for the Welcome!

I just spent the day organizing my carport and putting up tarps so I have a place to work on her!

And of course this being WA State it freaking rained all day!!

I promise pictures. I will rig up lights so I can take before picts and of course to work on her.

I am sure I will ask questions! It has been over 15 years since I worked on a bike, let alone ride one!!

And yes I signed up for a Basic Riders course! This boy ain't no fool!

I do have a question, what part of the forum would I put a question regarding Stereo addons? Under Battery & Electrical or Other?

And I added my State to my sig.

Happy Motoring!
          Dave
          1978 XS1100E
          Tacoma, WA.

Comment

You can post the stereo Q right here in the Members Lounge.

Comment

Thanks John.

The fairing has a built in slot for a stereo, but there is no cover for the face of the stereo. When I have my 78 Yam. 650 I had a fairing for it and the stereo mounted in it. With that rig the mount had a plastic smoked cover to protect the stero.

Does anyone know where I could purchase such an item?
              Dave
              1978 XS1100E
              Tacoma, WA.

Comment

"I see how it is..."

Bought it from my neighbor who...
                Now that really gives me an embolism!
                A new guy... buying a bike from someone up in my neck of the woods. Stealing it, as it were, from right under Prometheus' Prominent Proboscis!
                "You've got a lotta nerve endings, Buddy! This is my turf, we don't take kindly to strangers! If it wasn't raining, I'd go over right now and give you a piece of my mind, or what's left of it."

Did you all really expect me to be nice or something?
                Last edited by prometheus578; 03-25-2007, 12:12 AM.
                "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Prometheus578,

What can I say. I lucked out. He had not advertised the bike, just was waiting on warmer weather to sell it.

I like to tinker anyways and since I have the time, I will get her fixed up. (By Time, I mean the class. )
                  Dave
                  1978 XS1100E
                  Tacoma, WA.

Comment

Hi davestrike

Welcome to XS land
                    Seems that the E is the second most sought after XS, cool you didn't have to go across or outa state to get it. I had to go about 30 feet to pick up my first XS

mro
                    btw
                    should we find you face down with VESPA tracks
                    across your back......

wonder who we should look for

Comment

Hello Dave, and welcome !

Good luck with your bike ! I am happy for you that you just had to pick up your new bike in the same street that you live. For me that was impossible: I live in Norway. I like the specials best,and they was not sold in Europe. (There was a S1100S sold in Europe in 83-84 I think,but it looks like it is manufactured of all left over parts from other xs1100`s - after my opinion the uglyest xs1100)

I purchased my bikes from USA (internet) and had them shipped home in containers. I have not regretted that for a second , but it would be easier (and a lot cheaper!) to pick them up at my neighbours house. YOU ARE LUCKY !
                      TERJE

`79SF
                      `80SG x 2
                      `80LG x 2
                      `81SH
                      `82XJ1100J
                      `83CB1000 CUSTOM
                      `79WIFE

Comment

Hey Dave,

Yeah, just like Prometheus to be sticking his prodigious prominent probiscus in places not pertinent to his prowess!!

Can't help you with the radio thing, but a question like that would really fall more under technical advice in that wondering IF it is still available, etc.. Just looking for parts requests can be posted in the Parts wanted Forum.

Anyway, congrats on your find, on your wisdom to enroll in a MSF course, and finding this site as well! There is a lot of info here, so please take that TIME you have and peruse thru the tech tips, not just the links in the Yellow Column, but scrolling down from the MAIN FORUM PAGE, several there not linked from yellow column.

Then when you think you have a question that you can't find info about in the tips, use several keywords to search the tech discussion forum, the Search does work!!

Then if you're still confused, or can't figure something else, post your quiry. Don't forget to edit your profile or signature if you haven't already to include the year/model of your machine to assist US in giving you the proper model specific info. And then keep replying in the SAME thread for followup info so that we can follow the progress of the problem, and not be suggesting the same advice over and over again if it's scattered amongst several threads! Good Luck!
                        T. C. Gresham
                        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                        History shows again and again,
                        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I put together a quick page of the picts I took of the Project!

Stop by: http://www.serve.com/davestrike/xs1100.htm

You will note the amount of clean up needed.
                          Dave
                          Dave
                          1978 XS1100E
                          Tacoma, WA.

Comment

Dave, the pics look like my first XS11!!.
                            What part of Tacoma do you live? I have a Sister just south of you, in Dupont, and get up there about once a year.
                            Ray Matteis
                            KE6NHG
                            XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                            XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Heck Dupot is about 20 minutes away!
                              I live in the South East end.

Now that I have the bike in the garage and dry, I have been looking it over real good. Dang rust! Too much of it!
                              Dave
                              1978 XS1100E
                              Tacoma, WA.

Comment

Working...
                              X