putting bike up for winter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• putting bike up for winter

Besides emptying the gas tank and using the center stand what else could be done to store my bike for the winter.
    Melody 79" XS11

Never Mind

I found winter storage tips by Ron Miller. I want to say thanks to all of you that share what you have learnd so others don't make the same mistakes.

Melody
    Melody 79" XS11

Comment

I prefer to have the gas tank completely full, having added Seafoam, Techron, or Stabil to the gas. Empty the float bowls so you get no gas gummy stuff in carbs.

An empty (or partially empty) tank can condense moisture and rust.

That tip had real good advice about avoiding getting gas back in the float bowls via drippy petcocks. Except, plug them off to be safe rather than run an elevated hose. Vacuum caps (3/16ths inch I think, maybe 1/4") are cheap, available at almost all auto parts stores.

If your storage area isn't heated, it's better to take the battery out. Make sure the fluid level is full, and trickle charge it once in a while, or use a battery tender.
      Mike * Seattle * 82 F'n'XJ1100 *

Comment

Here is what I do:

Add fuel stabilizer to the last tank of gas, run it around for a half hour or so to make sure it gets in the carbs and mixes well.

Next top off the tank to full with stabilized fuel, a full tank will not allow rust to form!

Pull battery, and charge once a month through the winter with a trickle charger.

Sorry that's it!!

Here is an article I found on the web:

Winterize Your Motorcycle
        What you need to know to winterize
        By Walter Kern

In the northern climates motorcyclists have two choices when winter approaches:

Continue riding

Winterize the motorcycle and put it away until spring

So if you are fortunate to live where it's warm year-round or you choose to ride during the cold winters, there is no need to be concerned about winterizing your motorcycle. Thus, even though I live in New Jersey USA where there are cold winters, I choose to keep riding as part of the Polar Bear Club. So, at least every Sunday I can expect to ride an average of 200 miles with 400 other Polar Bears unless the snow and ice cover the road. Then I stay home.

For those in the second group, there are many opinions on what should be done to winterize your motorcycle. Here is a basic set of steps to winterize.

Check over the motorcycle for any mechanical problems.

Change the engine oil and oil filter.

Fill the gas tank, add stabilizer according to the instructions on the can, and run the bike for a few minutes.

Check the battery, clean the battery terminals, and connect a Battery Tender or similar trickle-charger.

Clean and wax the bike.

Cover the bike. If possible, keep the bike in a warm garage.

Make sure the bike is locked up and the registration and other papers are removed in case the bike is stolen.
        Winterizing is a personal choice for motorcyclists. Many approaches work. The tips provided here will get you back on the road next spring ready for new adventures in our mutual motorcycle obsession.
        Gary Granger
        Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
        2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

Yes, that is what I do, but since I store it in an unheatd garage, I take the battery out and store it in my basement, cool not cold and dry. I also check the tire pressure, and squirt a dab of WD-40 in each cylinder. Change the oil & filter, stabilize the fuel, full tank, wash and wax, cover. 9 years and never had the carbs off, never not started in the spring. And I am on only my second battery. I think the third will be soon, the lights dim too much lately.

New Jersey? I thought you were in NY? I remember living in NJ and riding in January. Normally the winters there are not too severe.

Unfortunately here in NW PA we get so much lake effect s**w that some winters the roads are covered for months at a time. How about it Highlander?
          Marty in NW PA
          Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
          Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
          This IS my happy face.

Comment

Gary is actually in Mexico...

Mexico, NY He is quoting another article where the guy lives in NJ
            Mike * Seattle * 82 F'n'XJ1100 *

Comment

and squirt a dab of WD-40 in each cylinder.

Correct me if I am wrong, but won't WD-40 act as a solvent and actually remove the protective film from the cylinder wall? I have always put some regular motor oil in each cylinder. Don't think the grade really matters here, whatever I had an open container of. Turned the engine over a few times to fully coat the inside of the cylinder and put the plug back in.

Also, seal off the exhaust and intake, if possible, to help prevent moisture from entering.
              Brian
              1978E Midlife Crisis - A work in progress
              1984 Kawasaki 550 Ltd - Gone, but not forgotten

A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people
              remembering the same thing!

Comment

I just mist a little in. I was afraid of getting some sort of hydraulic thing going on with the oil in the combustion chamber if I tried to use the bike before spring. But you got me thinking, I think I will stop the WD-40.

Yeah, I forgot, I cover the exhaust with plastic. More to keep out the squirrels though...

And I change the oil in the spring again.
                Marty in NW PA
                This IS my happy face.

Comment

[Unfortunately here in NW PA we get so much lake effect s**w that some winters the roads are covered for months at a time. How about it Highlander? [/B][/QUOTE]

You got that right Where I live, we don't get lake effect, but mountain s**w
                  Highlander

Comment

Winterizing? Actually was looking for a measuring tape to see if Alpha would fit in my kitchen!

Bruce
                    78XS11
                    Alphabike
                    Bruce Doucette
                    Phone #1 902 827 3217

Comment

Well, here in Texas we are planning our winter to last at least 3 days this year. We are thinking . . . say . . . January 26, 27, 28. I already bought a windbreaker jacket and a package of hot chocolate.

I have never let my bike sit that long.

Do I need to stabilize the oil? Change the gas? Oil the tires? Store the battery upside down in a paper bag in the closet?

Sorry guys and gals. Could not resist.
                      CUAgain,
                      Daniel Meyer
                      Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
                      Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

Yeah, yeah, rub it in Dragonrider. But we know how to celebrate summer here. If it falls on a weekend we barbecue!
                        Marty in NW PA
                        This IS my happy face.

Comment

By the way, I am watching snow build up on my bike cover right now....
                          Marty in NW PA
                          This IS my happy face.

Comment

In the past here in Arkansas, we get some periods of snow then it tends to warm up soon afterwords.

I am hoping it is mild this year because I still have not been able to ride......................which of course will mean a record breaking winter.

Comment

I believe that the factory recommends that all Texans change the air in the tires from summer air to winter air.

ME- just like 66; stabil in gas, full tank, battery on Battery Tender - sometime it gets nice in the middle of February and there is nothin like poppin in the battery and taking a half hour spin to get rid of the winter blues.
                              Rocky
                              00 Cagiva Gran Canyon
                              80 XS11 Special -sold
                              77 HD Sportster
                              75 Norton Commando

Comment

Working...
                              X