Battle Scars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battle Scars

UPS guy got here Friday...and despite being sick, I installed stuff Saturday...so all the expensive bendy parts on The Dragon were no longer bent. Yeah, nothing major...I just use the heck out of her and don't mind paying the piper when it's time...which means changing out dinged parts.

How many of you keep crash bars in stock? Sheesh. Of course, that entire incident...is yet another story.

Didn't ride Sunday and Monday...stupid flu. Bubonic bird flu plague? I actually called in sick Monday...and that's only the third or fourth time in 22 years if that tells you how ... wonderfully ... I was feeling yesterday.

Anyway, headed out for work this morning I smacked a phone pole! Heh. Sucker jumped right out in front of me....well not really. But another car and an off-road trip through the mud was involved. Hey, at least I missed the backhoe and the 6 foot deep trench surrounded by orange netting!

So, maybe some of my expensive bendy parts are bent again...I'll be able to tell when I get home in the daylight. Hmmm...Wonder if I've got 'em in stock...

She runs and rolls straight...but the tour bell went "dink dink dink" instead of ringing...seems it's full of mud LOL!
    CUAgain,
    Daniel Meyer
    Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
    Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Crash

Dan
    Your new nickname is gonna be" Crash" if u keep it up! Some days are diamonds some are stones. Keep her between the poles and be safe .
    Doug
    Doug Mitchell
    82 XJ1100 sold
    2006 Suzuki C90 SE 1500 CC Cruiser sold
    2007 Stratoliner 1900 sold
    1999 Honda Valkyrie interstate
    47 years riding and still learning, does that make me a slow learner?

Comment

That's a first for the 650,000 mile man..NO?

When I talked to you at TeXSive last year I think you told me you'd never had one down. Am I mistaken?

Comment

"Down" being a relative term....

I've dropped mine more times than I care to admit. Bent a few things/etc...

I've never crashed one at speed.
        CUAgain,
        Daniel Meyer

Comment

man, I wish I could make either of those claims. Stupid base-rock fines got me once at low speed (was worse than ice), and I have dropped that heavy eleven far too many times while moving it around, and once it rolled off the kick on a slightly down hill park-job .
          '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Of the 6 or 7 XS11 standards with fairings I rode with, everyone dropped theirs. Usually in the driveway or garage all while stopped - most more than once. My only complaint with the 11 would be how top heavy they are with the fairing. I'd love to make an exact carbon fiber replica fairing.
            Long Live the XS1100

78 XS1100E
            85 VMax

Comment

all standards are really top heavy. I was washing my 80G on the front lawn over the side walk when I got it and it managed to tip. I even had it set up so the stand would not sink down, I was leaning over it and moved the CD just over the balance point. It was all downhill from there. Nothing got damaged. Just loosended the mirror and made a few scuffs on the crash bars which already needed grinding and painting.
              United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
              If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
              "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
              "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
              Acta Non Verba

Comment

knock on wood not on concrete

if you ever try to move the xs missle around with the gas tank taken off,

you will notice immediately the center of gravity moved down to the foot pegs instead of the mirrors,

but that would be too impractical to do every time you need to move it around.

i don't even want to think about droppin, it i always take a deep breath and focus my concentration before i do sojmething so dangerous
                "a good man knows his limitations" dirty harry
                History
                85 Yamaha FJ 1100
                79 yamaha xs1100f
                03 honda cbr 600 f4
                91 yamaha fzr 600
                84 yamaha fj 1100
                82 yamaha seca 750
                87 yamaha fazer
                86 yamaha maxim x
                82 yamaha vision
                78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonrider

I've never crashed one at speed.
                  Yeah...me neither....

Comment

Sooo....no visible damage.

Headed out of my neighborhood this AM a car pulled out from a street ahead of me and gunned it toward me coming down my side of the road.

No curbs, so I headed for the shoulder. Muddy, with construction equipment and holes and such. Once I hit the edge of the road, I didn't have enough traction to steer back onto it. Just worked on getting slowed down and not hitting anything.

Managed to slide around the equipment and the big trench, and at the very end of the slide popped a telephone pole...straight on front tire into the pole. Then I dropped her in the mud whilst I practiced my swearing. The car didn't even slow down.

No biggie...can't see any damage 'cept the handlebars moved...gotta reset those and see if they'll stay tight or if the bars are crimped at the clamps...
                    CUAgain,
                    Daniel Meyer

Comment

Danny, I think Mr. Smith and Mr. Wesson need to have a talk with the car driver! It works very well when they have Mr. officer helping.
                      Ray Matteis
                      KE6NHG
                      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Damn Dan,,,,,,,,,,,,,,maybe should think bout moving to Colorado.
                        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Dragon,s are hard to kill. I think it is time to ya burned a car or two Don,t Texans cary guns any how?

Glad you are all Right
                          XSively
                          Bruce
                          Bruce Gerken
                          '79 XS1100SF
                          "The Black"
                          '2009 BMW k1300GT'
                          The Red Sled.
                          St.Augustine (354-430 AD) wrote,"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page . Well motorcycles turn the book of the world into a page turner. That is often impossible to put down.

Comment

Working...
                          X