Stupid warning labels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid warning labels

I just got home and I had to tell someone about this. I was in Saratoga today with my father and we were imbibing at the great chowder cook-off when we decided to go into a store called Savua Faire (I dont think thats spelled right) to look at hats. Well we didn't leave with any hats, instead we left with an elphant shaped cigarette dispenser. You push down the trunk and the smokes pop out of...well use your imagination. Now to my point, on the side of the box it says "Warning: Choking Hazard. Small Parts. Not Suitable For Children Under 3 Years." Is the world really getting this screwed up. I dont know? I guess I thought someone else would get a kick out of that.
    Jake
    82 XJ1100 "Slave One"

Warning: Images of elephants pooping out cigars may causes seizures.

Yeah, they get pretty rediculous
    '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

My 5 pound can of Planters Peanuts says on the label, "May contain peanuts or peanut oil. May have been processed on equipment used to process peanuts and peanut products."

I certianly hope so!
      CUAgain,
      Daniel Meyer
      Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
      Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

I had to give a big HAHAHAHAHAHA....to the peanuts.....?????? what The??......
        1982 XS1100R
        1982 XJ650
        1983 VT400
        1990 XVS Shadow
        1983 Z1100

-I just love the look on their faces when you leave them standing in the dust after they've lined you up on your XS.

Comment

Companies have been sued because of people who have peanut allergies, and had bad reactions to it, even dying. So....now companies have to ensure that IF they use peanuts or byproducts in the production of their food, that it is listed in the ingredients or even warning lables.

It is a bit oxymoronic on a peanut can, but that's how it is!
          T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58
            Companies have been sued because of people who have peanut allergies, and had bad reactions to it, even dying. So....now companies have to ensure that IF they use peanuts or byproducts in the production of their food, that it is listed in the ingredients or even warning lables.

It is a bit oxymoronic on a peanut can, but that's how it is!
            T.C.
            That is way most airlines don't serve peanuts any more. Just the 'essence of peanut' in the air is enough to trigger a reaction in some people.

Comment

Typical of the world we live in today, where millions of people are inconvenienced because one person has a (real or imagined) sensitivity.
              Why should an entire plane load of customers adapt to one persons allergy? Ya-ya, I know it’s no fun when the guy next to you goes into anaphylactic shock, but maybe that person should make plans to adapt to the world they live in.

I always liked this one on a bottle of sleeping pills "...do not use with alcohol, drive or operate machinery after using this product"

"Hey man hold my beer, I just took some sleeping pills and am going to take that bulldozer for a spin"

Comment

Originally posted by John

That is way most airlines don't serve peanuts any more. Just the 'essence of peanut' in the air is enough to trigger a reaction in some people.
                Well, Duh,

And I thought it was because Pretzels were cheaper than Peanuts? I hadn't really thought about that aspect!? Thanks for that insight!
                T.C.
                T. C. Gresham
                81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                History shows again and again,
                How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Reminds me of a guy I was talking to who is a recovering alcholic. He said yea I really did love beer and its not bad for you I just drank to much. It does have some good points he says. Even the label says it improves abilty to operate machinery or drive a vehicle. At that I went and got a beer and read the label aloud to him. The label says [It impairs not improves]. He was flabbergasted that he had it wrong all these years. I thought man he really did drink to much or was he just a moron?
                  1993 ZX11D
                  1979 CBX
                  1973 Z1
                  2001 ZX12R

Comment

I chuckle every time I see this one on my lawnmower. "Do not place hands or feet under mower when engine is running".
                    When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

"...hands or feet under mower..."
                      You know why? I was working at Sears when this happened; some idiot decided to use his lawn mower as a hedge trimmer and lost some fingers when he picked up the running mower. I am not kidding. He sued Sears because there were no warnings about putting your fingers under the deck, and won! Now all mowers come with the warning on them......

This kind of cr*p will be the downfall of this country; fewer and fewer people want to be responsible for their own actions / stupidity, and the courts seem to back it up.

As a former boss often said: "There is nothing common about sense."
                      Jerry Fields
                      '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                      '06 Concours
                      My Galleries Page.
                      My Blog Page.
                      "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

I totally agree. We are making a world were stupid people have a safe guided tour through life via warnig labels and "safety features." If you're stupid enough to turn the ignition switch with the car in gear and the clutch not depressed, you deserve to run your car into something. A REAL safety feature would be NOT having the safety feature. You would screw up and do it once or twice (as anyone who has driven an old manual has), it would scare the crap out of you and you would THINK before you turned the key next time. Instead, from starting with the clutch in, your throwout bearing (that is not greaseable because a bunch of idiots over greased theres and ruined their clutches) fails before the life of your clutch is expired. [end_rant]
                        Last edited by DiverRay; 02-06-2007, 11:32 AM.
                        '81 XS1100 SH

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry

You know why? I was working at Sears when this happened; some idiot decided to use his lawn mower as a hedge trimmer and lost some fingers when he picked up the running mower. I am not kidding. He sued Sears because there were no warnings about putting your fingers under the deck, and won! Now all mowers come with the warning on them......

This kind of cr*p will be the downfall of this country; fewer and fewer people want to be responsible for their own actions / stupidity, and the courts seem to back it up.

As a former boss often said: "There is nothing common about sense."
                          I heard it was 2 doctors who lost their fingers, proving that intelligence and common sense do not necessarily go hand in hand. I wonder if warning labels have prevented injuries or simply minimized litigation, well I guess I don't wonder, "hey,we told him not to do it"..."case dismissed"

I understand that litigation is also why very few private aircraft were built in the last 30 years.

All right how about some funny labels that don't get me on a rant?
                          (sorry)

Comment

I totally agree. We are making a world were stupid people have a safe guided tour through life via warnig labels and "safety features."
                            It's true as soon as they make something "Idiot Proof" they make a better Idiot .
                            Ed

78/82 XS/XJ mostly made up of parts bikes
                            XS1100 SG 1980 Will restore to original over time

Comment

very well said, EZ
                              '81 XS1100 SH

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Working...
                              X