thanks Bruce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thanks Bruce

Bruce, got the patches today. thanks much. i think i have directions for vac carb guages somewhere in the shop. too cold for this old body out there. i will check when it warms up some. when i find them i will take to post office and make a copy for you.
    fly

Thanks Fly

My vac gauges have no bleeder on them (set of 4) I have them mounted on a board and can hook them up to each carb but cant release the vac pressure on them...heard you could use a valve from a fish aquarium to help...
    Bruce
    Bruce Doucette
    Phone #1 902 827 3217

Comment

Patches

Thanks Bruce,
      I got the patches today and they are GREAT. If anyone wants some of these patches before they are gone they had better hurry. Bruce said they are about gone. They are good looking and quality patches

Thanks Tom

82 XJ DAILY RIDE
      78 XS1100E FIXING UP
      79 XS1100F PARTS BIKE
      82 XJ IN THE ROUGH
      Thanks Tom
      82 XJ DAILY RIDE
      78 XS1100E FIXING UP
      79 XS1100F PARTS BIKE
      79 XS1100SF NAKED BIKE
      80 XS1100SG FULL DRESS BIKE
      82 XJ IN THE ROUGH

Comment

I have a gauge that is split by a four way aquarium valve. I don't know why you would want a bleeder valve, though. When you switch from one carb to the next, things should equalize very quickly.
        '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

81XS Project

I will buy one of those aquarium valves and try that....friend of mine has a set of 4 gauges and where they connect to each gauge you can swivel the connector to bleed of the XS air pressure; mine all they do is go right up to maximum setting on each gauge until I dissconnect....thanks 81XS
          Bruce Doucette
          Phone #1 902 827 3217

Comment

Bruce,
            You should use only 1 gauge with 4 takeoff points.
            I work with gauges every day and unless you have a $500 dollar test gauge no 2 gauges read the same reliably and repeatably.
            With 1 gauge at least you will be setting all of the carbs to the same value and as far as I see that's what its all about.

My $0.02 worth
            Going back to reading mode now.

Ed
            Ed

78/82 XS/XJ mostly made up of parts bikes
            XS1100 SG 1980 Will restore to original over time

Comment

I don't get it. Each balancing screw operates two carbs at the same time,one closing the butterfly while the other opens. The way i see it, of you don't have at least two guages, how are you ever going to get the pair balanced? Sounds like an exercise in frustration.

Comment

The best way to do the carbs is with mercury sticks but if you don't had them which I don't, I use a single gauge arrangement not unlike the home made one seen in the maintenance section under carbs. It can be a little frustrating but once you get the hang of it, it works just fine. You just have to switch the input back and forth as you set up 1 & 2, the same for 3 & 4 then between 2 & 3 for the final. Switching from 1 through 4 when you are done should show even vacuum across the board. Patience and a good box fan are all that is needed.

Ed
                Ed

78/82 XS/XJ mostly made up of parts bikes
                XS1100 SG 1980 Will restore to original over time

Comment

You adjust in small increments. Say carb 1 is 5 lbs. lower than carb 2. You can't just adjust carb 1 up 5 lbs... because it will also LOWER carb 2's reading. So bring it up one or two lbs.. close it and recheck #2.

Same thing adjusting carb 4 to carb 3. Adjust in small increments, closing off one and opening the other to check. Then when 1 & 2 are together, as well as 3 & 4... adjust #2 to match #3... again in small increments. Just don't ask me how #2 brings #1 with it??

Everybody good and confused now??

I think I'll go take a #2 and think about it a while!

Tod
                  Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                  '06 Suzuki DR650
                  *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                  '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                  '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                  '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                  '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                  '81 XS1100 Special
                  '81 YZ250
                  '80 XS850 Special
                  '80 XR100
                  *Crashed/Totalled, still own