"Rises from the Dead"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Rises from the Dead"

My computer broke two months ago.. But I'm back now. Anything goin' on? What'd I miss?
    AHAHAHAHahahaa.
    (Oh, that hurt) Haven't laughed in a long while.
    No... I'm sorry to say, that T.C. hit the baby right on the head.
    As you all know, or at least some of you, I serve mankind as a mechanic. Not a particularly brilliant one, but one does what one can with whatever limited ability one has.
    Yeah, it bothered me. I can state that mildly now, but at the time...
    Sure. Others have said the same over the years here, and in those cases, I dealt swift justice. But this time, instead of mocking them, or questioning their parentage...
    This seemed different this time.
    I took this as a personal attack.
    Insults...? I'm insulted all the time(mostly by women) and it has never bothered me. T.C. mocks and "puns" me all the time, people call me a Vespa-riding Nancy-Boy, and MRO and TRBIG pass around those nude photos of me between themselves like they were trading baseball cards. This is known as good, clean fun.
    But slandering a man's profession, also slanders the man.
    I don't know about most of you... but have you ever visited other Owner's sites?
    What a sorry bunch they are. This site is singularly blessed.
    A fact unknown to the obvious oblivious, there are several breeds of mechanics that dwell here: Automobile, aircraft, machinists, to mention but a few... and then there are those such as me, the low-status motorcycle mechanic.
    I shall not fail to mention all the other "Experts", either. While not currently employed as mechanics(or currently employed at all), their expertise and experience is what keeps this place going. Many are prolific posters,(T.C. a quadruple Guru) and it's the dedication of their time that has rescued many a frustrated XS owner.
    "Stealerships", "bikes returned in worse condition", "liable to kill people..." I'm sorry, but this time, that was the camel that broke my last straw.
    Let me take a break for a moment, as the thought is fresh... and focus on the other "experts" here.
    "Mechanics today don't know how to work on the old bikes", etc.
    That's odd... The majority of the new Kawasaki's I work on have shim and bucket valves systems. Most use the same 29mm shims that we do. I fail to see the difference.
    "They don't understand how our carbs work." Funny... two main types of carbs on this planet: Mikuni's and Keihin's. All have pilot jets, main jets, floats, vacuum slides and pilot screws. If you can work on one, you can work on all.
    "Vacuum timing advance"... yeah, so did my old Chevy!
    And no dealership would ever hire, much less allow, an inexperience punk to work on a customer's machine. Can you just imagine the liability involved?
    Sure, I had my son working at the shop this year. Prepped bikes, did oil changes, etc. But always under my watchful wooden eye. "Pull the tank and bodywork offa that thing so I can check the valves..." (If you think I'm an a$$hole now... try working for me sometime. There were days my son wouldn't even talk to me at closing time) Most mechanic's are like that. If I'm gonna sign my name to a work order, the job is gonna be done right.
    Mechanics, mechanic, mechanics... shall we dwell on customers for a moment?
    Anybody ever thank their mechanic? Not by just praising his ability... but where it really matters... with beer!
    I posted a year ago on how to find and keep a good mechanic. You want a mechanic to remember you and take special care of you? It's easy, cheap too, when you think about it. Ever buy the shop pizza on a Saturday? What's it cost... $20? I've gotten home-made pies, cakes, brownies, etc. (I turn down cash tips as I consider it vulgar and insulting) I've got so many (as yet) unopened bottles of booze at home that even MAXIMAN's liver would shut down!
    I'm sorry... I promised myself that I wouldn't insult anyone... for the record, MAXIMAN's new liver functions just fine.
    And no, I haven't forgotten you either... "Take your Ritalin and stop interupting. The adults are talking, now."
    Customers...? Let me share a few recent tales. Many customers make me just wanna leap over the counter and show them how a "choke" really works!

Guy fried the engine in his Quad, so I rebuild it. Comes back two weeks later.
    "It smells hot... I want you to recheck your work."
    I do so... find nothing wrong with my work... and charge him $37.50 for wasting my time and he sings about it.(His kid likes to have it idle for half an hour, all the while revving the p*ss out of it to impress his friends, which is how it siezed in the first place)

Guy puts on custom exhaust himself and brings it in for re-jetting.
    "Sir... this exhaust doesn't require re-jetting. It'll run too rich"
    "But all the internet "experts" on my owner's goup say it needs rejetting. I want you to raise the needle and go up two jet sizes."
    "But sir..."
    150 miles later, he's back with fouled plugs.
    "Can you make it run right?"
    "No problem", and I set it back to stock, and then he complains about having to pay twice to have his bike worked on.
    "Sir, if I knock $25 offa your bill, would you be satisfied?"
    "Yes!"
    "Good, but since it seems that you are unhappy with the quality of the work we do, you might be happier taking your bike to another shop next time."

Guy drops off his bike, and is told that it would be about a week before I would even have a chance to look at it. He then calls the very next day, and every day after that, asking if it's done. So I call him back...
    "Sir, you can come and pick up your bike now."
    "Is it done!"
    "No, I haven't touched it yet. Just come pick up your bike!"

Lastly, my favorite. And I include this one because it happened the same week as those comments were posted in the other forum. The timing of the two events is what really set me off here, and caused my departure. For you see, I really do return bikes worse than when they are brought in.
    Bike came in for tires and an oil change. I finish the service and fire it up. It knocks and the oil light is on. Yes, fellow XS'ers... I ruined this man's engine. Ok... I left out a few details. He didn't ride it here, he trailered it. It only had one quart of oil in it instead of three and a half. This made me suspicious, so I called him in to talk about his bike. He arrived and I then told him about his engine having no oil pressure. He proceeds to tell me everything that he read on the internet, concerning oil pump gears, how they go bad, and that contrary to the facts, they can be replaced without pulling the engine apart. My, my, my... this man was just a wealth of knowledge and research. He knew an awful lot about what was wrong and how to correct the problem on his bike... though I had only told him of the problem 5 minutes earlier!
    Myself, the general manager, and my big boss get to meet this fine gentleman again next week... in court. And as usually happens in cases between customers and "Stealerships", the shop loses.
    Yes, I took the insults here this time personally.
    I did have a nice vacation during my self-imposed exile. Cleaned up around the house, read a little Shakespeare, made a nifty hook-rug and knitted a pair of warm winter socks using all the dog hair vacuumed from the living room.
    I now, (in the words of my probation officer) am ready to rejoin society, where I shall once again sit amongst the exhaulted Gurus, offering sage mechanical advice and marital counselling, as the need be.
    Thank you to those who wrote PM's and e-mails inquiring about my health and dubious mental stabilty during my unexplained absence.
    The apologies were really unwarranted, Gentlemen. (I never ask for apologies, as then I can't hold grudges)
    I consider us all friends here, with the exception of PGGG, who can spew his verbal vomit back into his clock-wise flushing, southern hemisphere toilet from whence he came.
    I will try to be here as often as I was before, but as the riding season is approaching, I'm spending more nightly hours at work trying to get things ready.
    I still haven't even had time to take down my tree yet!
    [IMG][/IMG]
    PROMETHEUS

And don't make fun of my Goodwill lamp, WildKat. It turns on and off, which is all I require of it. It might not be a stylish fixture, but it's still brighter than you are!
    "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Good to have you back! Missed your infinite wisdom, sarcasm, etc. I personally like the dog clock better than the lamp.
    DEW
    One Red "Creation 1"
    One Black"Creation 2"
    One Black"Creation 3"
    One ???? "Creation 4"
    One ???? "Creation 5"
    One ???? "Parts Bike"
    All the above 1100 Specials
    78 Standard (Ruf Ruf)
    1980 Midnight Special
    1978 650 SE

Comment

Ahem...

I WAS going to say how nice it is to have you back... how quiet it has been without your presence (not presents... we'll save those for the 16th)...
      Why prometheus... I was even going to compliment you on your choice of tree decorations and how I was impressed that you sat the little dolls ON the tree... rather than hanging them from it...
      And don't make fun of my Goodwill lamp, WildKat. It turns on and off, which is all I require of it. It might not be a stylish fixture, but it's still brighter than you are!
      and then... and THEN... THEN... you go and say something like that... ya bully... hurt my feelings...
      ~sniff~

but seriously... no really... seriously... glad you came back
      81 SH Something Special
      81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
      81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
      80 LG Black Magic
      78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
      For those on FB

Comment

Welcome back Pro! Just reading this post got a few chuckles out of me. I always enjoy your talented use of the English language, along with your sage advice. Add some ginger and thyme, and you've got a Prometheus breakfast patty. Of course, the ham is extra.
        -Do what makes you happy.

'79 Honda CB 750 K (2)
        '78 XS 11 E - "Rhona"
        ...and a 2nd E, for the goodies on it.

Comment

Welcome BACK Mr. P rom
          Definitely enjoy reading your posts, and even learn a few things from em too.

It's your fault (and this forum) for me keeping (and collecting) XS11's,
          saved me from probably becoming a HD rider agin!!!

and then there are those such as me, the low-status motorcycle mechanic
          Well.......I have a small shop where we sell and service cleaning machines.

mro
          btw, couldn't help but noticed your tree decorations.........
          (smartA$$ comments were thought, just not typed )

Comment

Give him a dollie that laughs and cries... one that can open and shut it's eyes... (OK.. how many of you just sang that.. )

See there... I thought babies came from storks and cabbage patches. I am ALWAYS learning things on this site!

You are truly a sick and twisted individual Kurt.... welcome to my world! lol.

Tod
            Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
            '06 Suzuki DR650
            *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
            '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
            '81 XS1100 Special
            '81 YZ250
            '80 XS850 Special
            '80 XR100
            *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Welcome back, PRO . I know some of the people here don't understand, but I still think the average here is far above the general population.
              Ray Matteis
              KE6NHG
              XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
              XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Good to see you back

Comment

Nice soliloquy! ( said you were reading some Shakespeare so I thought it would fit)
                  Hobbyman was talking about a soap box a few posts ago, you got him hands down.
                  Nice to see you back.

Ed
                  Last edited by EZMoney; 02-02-2007, 07:13 PM.
                  Ed

78/82 XS/XJ mostly made up of parts bikes
                  XS1100 SG 1980 Will restore to original over time

Comment

I did notice some strange goings-on around here when some people posted pics of their bikes or various parts of their bikes.
                    People were just talking about the bikes, or the various parts that the pictures were of. It was all quite boring. I always look forward to reading what you have to say about everything else going on in the picture, except what the photagrapher wants you to see. Truth be told, that is the only reason that I lurk here in this forum. Good to have you back.
                    Travis Miller
                    1978 E

Comment

Good Bad and Ugly

As in every profession, there are good mechanics and bad mechanics. I have known many of both types, and some in the middle.
                      The trick is figuring out which one you are dealing with, separating the wheat from the chaff, as it were.

My own experience in dealing with customers, is that a lot of people are just ********s.

I can understand you getting exercised with the drumbeat of criticism regarding the level of quality in the mechanic field. Couple that with the level of ignorance on display, and it's a short trip to a bad case of the fuggits.

The fact that you choose to supply free advice here is stellar in my opinion. I, for one, have picked up much useful info in the short time I have been involved with XS.com, and am grateful for it. Glad you are back.

Wow, you can't say ********s.
                      What about ****ing ********s?
                      Didn't think so.................

Ciao!
                      XS1100SF
                      XS1100F

Comment

Welcome back, Prom. Sorry your computer was down for a while. You didn't miss much here at the site, but we missed your self-deprecating twisted sense of humor and problem solving skills. You are obviously a man with principles, and reacted in an appropriate fashion to an overload of crap in your life. Anyhow, glad your computer is fixed, along with your psyche, and look forward to the unique combination of wit and wisdom you have always brought to this site.
                        80 G "The Beast"
                        81 H "The Dresser"
                        79 XS650 II
                        82 650 Maxim
                        70 DT-1 Enduro
                        66 Honda CL-77 Scrambler
                        96 H-D Road King

"The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

Comment

Welcome back

I'm not here often, but I do have to admit that a big draw for me dropping in on occasion has been your wisenheimer attitude mixed with good writing, clever witticisms and all around tomfoolery.

Anyone who would knowingly pose on his Vespa for me when it's likely I'd post it here, is A-OK in my book.
                          -Meri
                          "Boldly Going Nowhere"

www.meriwetherphoto.net

Comment

It's good to have you back. It's nice to have another old bike wrench here.

I have a bunch of stories from my days turning wrenches but I'll save them for another day. Suffice it to say, we that turn wrenches for a living are under appreciated and over criticized.

I'm happy to be leaving it behind. As of the end of this month, my bike lift will only be holding my own machines.

Geezer
                            Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Good to have you back. Gee, It seems as though I have read that before. Yeah, you definitely got the soapbox thing hands down. Your posts always make for good reading. It is good to see the story from both points of view. Anyway, got to go soon to do some plumbing work on the my old house. Also, I took AP english 4 so I wouldn't have to quote shakespeare.
                              United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
                              If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
                              "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
                              "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
                              Acta Non Verba

Comment

Working...
                              X